Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setting up a home network

Setting up a home network

Janus

I shall be grateful if somebody can point out any website/websites where I
can check on the basics regarding setting up a home wireless network.

An existing network comprising a standard router attached to a cable modem
and four computers is planned to be changed over to a wireless set up.

Specific details on avoiding interference with neighboring wireless LANs as
well as securing the planned one so nobody nearby can get a "free ride" and
any other relevant info source would be most welcome. Also, some details of
what the "coverage" area that could be expected would be very helpful.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards.

Janus

Steve P

This is a good site for starters.
http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

"Janus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I shall be grateful if somebody can point out any website/websites where I
> can check on the basics regarding setting up a home wireless network.
>
> An existing network comprising a standard router attached to a cable modem
> and four computers is planned to be changed over to a wireless set up.
>
> Specific details on avoiding interference with neighboring wireless LANs
> as
> well as securing the planned one so nobody nearby can get a "free ride"
> and
> any other relevant info source would be most welcome. Also, some details
> of
> what the "coverage" area that could be expected would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Regards.
>
> Janus

Janus

That's a very informative and helpful site - thanks very much! I bookmarked
it and saved some of the pages for later referral.

Janus

"Steve P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O0%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a good site for starters.
> http://www.ezlan.net/index.html
>

> "Janus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I shall be grateful if somebody can point out any website/websites where I
>> can check on the basics regarding setting up a home wireless network.
>>
>> An existing network comprising a standard router attached to a cable
>> modem
>> and four computers is planned to be changed over to a wireless set up.
>>
>> Specific details on avoiding interference with neighboring wireless LANs
>> as
>> well as securing the planned one so nobody nearby can get a "free ride"
>> and
>> any other relevant info source would be most welcome. Also, some details
>> of
>> what the "coverage" area that could be expected would be very helpful.
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Janus

=?Utf-8?B?S2Fib29raWU=?=

http://www.homenethelp.com/
Just a helpful link for you.

"Janus" wrote:

> I shall be grateful if somebody can point out any website/websites where I
> can check on the basics regarding setting up a home wireless network.
>
> An existing network comprising a standard router attached to a cable modem
> and four computers is planned to be changed over to a wireless set up.
>
> Specific details on avoiding interference with neighboring wireless LANs as
> well as securing the planned one so nobody nearby can get a "free ride" and
> any other relevant info source would be most welcome. Also, some details of
> what the "coverage" area that could be expected would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Regards.
>
> Janus

Janus