Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Are most of todays DESKTOPs wireless ready...???

Are most of todays DESKTOPs wireless ready...???

LEESA

I know most, if not all laptops come wireless ready. How about todays
DESKTOP computers?

Just curious.

Thanks

LEESA (I)

PeeCee

"LEESA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know most, if not all laptops come wireless ready. How about todays
> DESKTOP computers?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Thanks
>
> LEESA (I)

Leesa

There are 'some' motherboards that have wireless built in, but they are on
the whole expensive 'enthusiasts' boards.
Likewise you will find spec'd up, ready to go, PC's on the shelf with
wireless included as part of the deal.

But in the main it is not mainstream practice for a desktop to include
wireless as standard.
For most desktop situations hard wiring the desktop to the switch (or
router) is prefered.
Wired is cheaper, faster and more reliable.

For those situations where it is difficult to hard wire a desktop to the
switch or router, a wireless adapter can be added to the PC.
The adapter can be either an internal PCI card, or an external USB dongle.
These wireless adapters are not overly expensive, and easy to fit.

If your situation calls for a wireless adapter in your Desktop, then you
should particularly specify this at time of purchase and not 'assume' it
will have one.

Best
Paul.

For example: John Smith

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/54Mbps-Wireles...item4a9b1942aa

4.88

PeeCee wrote:
> "LEESA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I know most, if not all laptops come wireless ready. How about
>> todays DESKTOP computers?
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> LEESA (I)

> Leesa
>
> There are 'some' motherboards that have wireless built in, but they
> are on the whole expensive 'enthusiasts' boards.
> Likewise you will find spec'd up, ready to go, PC's on the shelf
> with wireless included as part of the deal.
>
> But in the main it is not mainstream practice for a desktop to include
> wireless as standard.
> For most desktop situations hard wiring the desktop to the switch (or
> router) is prefered.
> Wired is cheaper, faster and more reliable.
>
> For those situations where it is difficult to hard wire a desktop to
> the switch or router, a wireless adapter can be added to the PC.
> The adapter can be either an internal PCI card, or an external USB
> dongle. These wireless adapters are not overly expensive, and easy to
> fit.
> If your situation calls for a wireless adapter in your Desktop, then
> you should particularly specify this at time of purchase and not
> 'assume' it will have one.
>
> Best
> Paul.

chuckcar

LEESA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I know most, if not all laptops come wireless ready. How about todays
> DESKTOP computers?

Ignoring for the moment the vagueness of such language, *any* desktop can
be made able to network wirelessly - with the simple addition of one PCI
card. However wireless network cards come with two problems - range and
because they *are* not physically connected to a specific computer the
possibility of someone *else* outside using your network without you
knowing or allowing them to.

google "war driving" to see about the later. The police make arrests so
often, it no longer even makes the newspapers. And *that's* only from
downloading illegal content.

We get a constant stream of posts here about people - sometimes in the
same room, not able to communicate with another computer by a wireless
card.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I know most, if not all laptops come wireless ready. How about todays
>> DESKTOP computers?

>Ignoring for the moment the vagueness of such language, *any* desktop can
>be made able to network wirelessly - with the simple addition of one PCI
>card. However wireless network cards come with two problems - range and
>because they *are* not physically connected to a specific computer the
>possibility of someone *else* outside using your network without you
>knowing or allowing them to.

speaking of vagueness, the PCI card would be connect to a specific
computer, the one they are using. there are encryption settings now
that will slow someone down long enough they might not mess with it.

>google "war driving" to see about the later.

Google war dialing, I used to do that a lot. and I would physically
connect to someone else's computer without their knowledge (to a
point: one being they weren't there (watching) ) - a Unix was
different, I could get in faster than most other systems, and go
unnoticed for a very long time.

What's changed to incite a panic over a simple question.

--

How soon people forget
http://imgur.com/CVkCC.png

hwf

chuckcar wrote:
> LEESA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I know most, if not all laptops come wireless ready. How about todays
>> DESKTOP computers?
>>

> Ignoring for the moment the vagueness of such language, *any* desktop can
> be made able to network wirelessly - with the simple addition of one PCI
> card. However wireless network cards come with two problems - range

Heh...not an issue Ive surfed an AP that was about 250 yards away.
Make a parabola for yer usb-dong-L and set the "preamble" to "long".
Good Times.

and
> because they *are* not physically connected to a specific computer the
> possibility of someone *else* outside using your network without you
> knowing or allowing them to.

MAC addy filter takes care of that if yer concerned.
Easy Peasy do it inteh router.

> google "war driving" to see about the later. The police make arrests so
> often, it no longer even makes the newspapers. And *that's* only from
> downloading illegal content.

Most peeps dont know wtf their wifi is doing.

> We get a constant stream of posts here about people - sometimes in the
> same room, not able to communicate with another computer by a wireless
> card.

Make a parabola for your transmitter. I did. Its teh funzorz!
Gave me a few dbs...
^_^

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

chuckcar

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:hb7elf$8b1$(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>> LEESA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I know most, if not all laptops come wireless ready. How about todays
>>> DESKTOP computers?
>>>

>> Ignoring for the moment the vagueness of such language, *any* desktop
>> can be made able to network wirelessly - with the simple addition of
>> one PCI card. However wireless network cards come with two problems -
>> range

> Heh...not an issue Ive surfed an AP that was about 250 yards away.
> Make a parabola for yer usb-dong-L and set the "preamble" to "long".
> Good Times.

*With* a parabola antenna you can pick up the sound of the big bang. Your
point contradicts itself.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

hwf

In message <Xns9CA5E34D1A267chucknilcar@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar wrote:
> hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:hb7elf$8b1$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > chuckcar wrote:
> >> LEESA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> Ignoring for the moment the vagueness of such language, *any* desktop
> >> can be made able to network wirelessly - with the simple addition of
> >> one PCI card. However wireless network cards come with two problems -
> >> range

> > Heh...not an issue Ive surfed an AP that was about 250 yards away.
> > Make a parabola for yer usb-dong-L and set the "preamble" to "long".
> > Good Times.
> >

> *With* a parabola antenna you can pick up the sound of the big bang. Your
> point contradicts itself.

What the **** are you on about?

0_o