Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > error: 1628 Failed to complete installation !

error: 1628 Failed to complete installation !

velRev66rm velRev66rm is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

I am tying to uninstall a program called MPLAB. MPLAB is an IDE for C programming and is made by Microchip. When I select this program in the add/remove programs window and I click "remove", I get the following error:

1628: Failed to complete installation

I tried googling this error and followed instructions such as ending processes in the task manager and deleting all files under the C:\windows\temp subdirectory. In result to the latter resolutions, no processes listed were running and I was unable to fully delete all the files in the C:\windows\temp subdirectory.

I also tried to go to control panel... switching to category view....clicking on performance and maintenance...then clicking on administrative tools.... and then I don't remember what the next step was but one thing is for sure whatever it was, the link did not exist!!!!! and I gave up.

I am using Windows XP SP2. I don't know what else to try !

I really would appreciate any help in regards to this issue. Thanks all in advance for your help!

Sincere regards
Rob

velRev66rm velRev66rm is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

I am going crazy with this.

Now I uninstalled an application with Windows Installer clean up utility and the application *still* shows up in the add/remove programs list!!!! ????

Why Oh why!!!!

Anyone... please!

Regards
Rob