Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Tooltip

Tooltip

shapper

Hello,

I am using a JQuery plugin to create tooltips from input titles so it
can be styled using CSS.

IMHO, I think the markup of the tooltip should be something like:

Or something as follows to allow more styling flexibility:

The plugin in fact does something really different:

<h3 class="title">Please, insert the full name</h3>

In this case body and url are not defined.

To me it does not make any sense to have a header on a tooltip.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Miguel

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
shapper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What do you think?

I think you should supply a URL with what *you* think and say why it
still concerns you.

--
dorayme

shapper

On Oct 13, 10:25*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *shapper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > What do you think?

> I think you should supply a URL with what *you* think and say why it
> still concerns you.

My concern is simple: I don't see a tooltip as a part of the document
structure.
For example, looking at Opera's Table of Contents does it make sense
to get something like:

H1 > Water Company
H2 > Articles
H3 > How water is important? (Article)
H3 > How to save water? (Article)
H3 > Click here to follow the link (Tooltip)

Even if I apply H4 to the tooltip what sense does it make?
I can't understand why having a header on a tooltip makes any
sense ... but that is me.

I will try to create an example but basically this is what I am
talking about.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
shapper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 10:25*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >
> > *shapper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > What do you think?

> > I think you should supply a URL with what *you* think and say why it
> > still concerns you.

> My concern is simple: I don't see a tooltip as a part of the document
> structure.

And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
about *your* preferred solution.

I know exactly why you are indecisive: guilt! Guilt that you should be
in the kitchen cooking for me. Until you do this Miguel, you will be
wracked with doubt. It will eat away at your soul. What is so hard about
simply going into your kitchen and cooking up a Portuguese storm for me,
ringing up a good quality airline food courier and sending it?

--
dorayme

shapper

On Oct 14, 12:51*am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this? *
> Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
> you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
> it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
> about *your* preferred solution.

Here is an example:
http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

It does not make sense to me that the tooltip has a H3 header when
there is already a H3 header on the document structure which is not
compared to tooltip.
In fact I don't think a tooltip should have a header ... But ok I can
even accept that if the header is lower than the lowest of the
document.

Well, this is just me.

> I know exactly why you are indecisive: guilt! Guilt that you should be
> in the kitchen cooking for me. Until you do this Miguel, you will be
> wracked with doubt. It will eat away at your soul. What is so hard about
> simply going into your kitchen and cooking up a Portuguese storm for me,
> ringing up a good quality airline food courier and sending it?

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ...

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
and you have fed him for a lifetime"

I opted to teach you how to fish and you have that on your email ...

Helpful person

On Oct 14, 7:45*am, shapper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
> and you have fed him for a lifetime"

Only if he's near water!

www.richardfisher.com

Jukka K. Korpela

shapper wrote:

> For example, looking at Opera's Table of Contents does it make sense
> to get something like:
>
> H1 > Water Company
> H2 > Articles
> H3 > How water is important? (Article)
> H3 > How to save water? (Article)
> H3 > Click here to follow the link (Tooltip)

So don't create such foolish tooltips. Problem solved.

> Even if I apply H4 to the tooltip what sense does it make?

Tooltips seldom make sense. But if you set up a tooltip using JavaScript or
CSS or both, why would you put the tooltip text inside a heading. If you
think how the document should degrade gracefully, when JavaScript or CSS or
both disabled, you get a clue of the logical structural - probably something
like

<h3>How to save water</h3>

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

picayunish

shapper wrote:
> On Oct 14, 12:51 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
>> Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
>> you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
>> it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
>> about *your* preferred solution.

> Here is an example:
> http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

This is a beter sample:
http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/
--
Edwin van der Vaart

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
shapper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 12:51*am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this? *
> > Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
> > you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
> > it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
> > about *your* preferred solution.

> Here is an example:
> http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html
>
> It does not make sense to me that the tooltip has a H3 header when
> there is already a H3 header

And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
about *your* preferred solution.

Perhaps you will be better informed by JK's more succinct way of putting
some of this: "So don't create such foolish tooltips"? I was leaving you
a way to express other more sensible concerns about aalternative looking
renderings (which you have previously partly suggested) which you are
simply ignoring.

> Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ...
>
> "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
> and you have fed him for a lifetime"

I bet you have no idea what irony there is in this.

> I opted to teach you how to fish and you have that on your email ...

How confident you are of your ability to send an email with a correct
address in this case. And let me know the subject line to increase the
chances of it not being junked if you did happen to get the address
right.

Where is that confidence in regard to the dismissal of foolish ideas
about headings and tooltips?

Here is some more bla:

In the Woody Allen film Matchpoint, Chris Wilton says something similar
to Nola Rice (played by Scarlett Johansson) except here the thing she
was not confident about was her ability to act (or at least audition to
act) while the thing she *was* confident about was something not
altogether surprising given how she looks).

--
dorayme

rf

"picayunish" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f2cd7$4ad62b9f$4df973c8$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> shapper wrote:
>> On Oct 14, 12:51 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> And I am saying why are you not backing your sensible judgement in this?
>>> Just because somone said to use an H inappropriately, so what? Use what
>>> you think is right and put up a g URL with your k judgement and say what
>>> it is you have any *real misgivings* (arguments supporting included)
>>> about *your* preferred solution.

>> Here is an example:
>> http://flyonpages.flyondreams.pt/tooltip.html

> This is a beter sample:
> http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/

One hundred and twenty four KB of javascript to acheive something that can
be done with two lines of CSS?

Oh, I see,<spit> jQuery</spit>. I'll have to rub out my cache now

How could I add a tooltip to an iframe ? Also, the tooltip contents has to be determine @ run-time ! Radu ASP .Net 1 01-08-2007 04:11 PM
show subitem text of listview control in tooltip Lucky ASP .Net 0 12-22-2005 07:04 AM
Tooltip Text Display? Majordomo Firefox 3 11-11-2004 09:45 PM
ToolTip Jim Heavey ASP .Net 0 10-17-2003 03:50 AM
Re: Question: How to get more info on tooltip error/squiggly VB Programmer ASP .Net 1 07-01-2003 07:42 PM

Advertisments