Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7 - MS apps as 32bit and 64bit

Win7 - MS apps as 32bit and 64bit

Franz Leu

Hi

I am new to 64Bit Windows and I just installed a Win7 64Bit 90 days Test
version to evaluate.
I found that most of the native MS apps like Mediaplayer a.s.o. are
installed twice, in seperate folders for 64Bit and for 32Bit apps.

Does somebody have a link where I can do some reading to get to know why
everything is installed twice and why it needs seperate program
folders for 32Bit and 64Bit apps?

Thanks
Franz

Jeff Gaines

On 13/10/2009 in message <#fzrk#(E-Mail Removed)> Franz Leu
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am new to 64Bit Windows and I just installed a Win7 64Bit 90 days Test
>version to evaluate.
>I found that most of the native MS apps like Mediaplayer a.s.o. are
>installed twice, in seperate folders for 64Bit and for 32Bit apps.
>
>Does somebody have a link where I can do some reading to get to know why
>everything is installed twice and why it needs seperate program folders
>for 32Bit and 64Bit apps?
>
>Thanks
>Franz

I'm not sure there's much to understand. 64 bit apps go in Program Files
and 32 bit apps in Program Files (x86). MSFT provides both 32 bit and 64
bit versions of some apps that are included with Windows and they each get
installed in their respective folders.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Carlos

Jim,
That was correct for Vista x64.
Win 7 has embedded codecs for most of the popular formats, both in x86 and
x64 versions.
Moreover Directshow type codecs (the ones used by ffdshow) run at a lower
priority. The new buzzword is Windows Media Foundation. Those are the
preferred codecs used by WMP and WMC.
Carlos

"Jim" wrote:

> 64bit WMP uses 64bit codecs so it was next to useless until we got 64bit
> ffdshow.

Franz Leu

Carlos schrieb:
> Jim,
> That was correct for Vista x64.
> Win 7 has embedded codecs for most of the popular formats, both in x86 and
> x64 versions.
> Moreover Directshow type codecs (the ones used by ffdshow) run at a lower
> priority. The new buzzword is Windows Media Foundation. Those are the
> preferred codecs used by WMP and WMC.
> Carlos
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> 64bit WMP uses 64bit codecs so it was next to useless until we got 64bit
>> ffdshow.

OK, thank you guys.
This means that I just leave these apps as installed by the setup to not
mess up with other apps that might need the 32Bit version ... or the
64Bit version.
Its kinda like a 'Deja-vu', yeeaaars ago when we moved from 16Bit to
32Bit.

Franz

Charlie Russel - MVP

Very much like the move to 32-bit. Only more so, since MS dropped support
for ANY 16 bit applications, and for DOS applications. They simply won't
run. (However, you can use the downloadable Windows VirtualPC plus XPMode to
run them virtualized.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Franz Leu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eD%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carlos schrieb:
>> Jim,
>> That was correct for Vista x64.
>> Win 7 has embedded codecs for most of the popular formats, both in x86
>> and x64 versions.
>> Moreover Directshow type codecs (the ones used by ffdshow) run at a lower
>> priority. The new buzzword is Windows Media Foundation. Those are the
>> preferred codecs used by WMP and WMC.
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Jim" wrote:
>>
>>> 64bit WMP uses 64bit codecs so it was next to useless until we got 64bit
>>> ffdshow.
>>>

> OK, thank you guys.
> This means that I just leave these apps as installed by the setup to not
> mess up with other apps that might need the 32Bit version ... or the 64Bit
> version.
> Its kinda like a 'Deja-vu', yeeaaars ago when we moved from 16Bit to
> 32Bit.
>
> Franz

Carlos

Franz,
Internet Explorer is a clear example of why it exists in two flavours:
32-bit and 64-bit.
All add-ins/plugins are fully functional with IE32, as usual.
Not all add-ins/plugins are functional (Flash isn't) with IE64.
If you can live without Flash (some enjoy it!) then go for IE64.

Carlos

"Franz Leu" wrote:

> Carlos schrieb:
> > Jim,
> > That was correct for Vista x64.
> > Win 7 has embedded codecs for most of the popular formats, both in x86 and
> > x64 versions.
> > Moreover Directshow type codecs (the ones used by ffdshow) run at a lower
> > priority. The new buzzword is Windows Media Foundation. Those are the
> > preferred codecs used by WMP and WMC.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> >
> >> 64bit WMP uses 64bit codecs so it was next to useless until we got 64bit
> >> ffdshow.
> >>

> OK, thank you guys.
> This means that I just leave these apps as installed by the setup to not
> mess up with other apps that might need the 32Bit version ... or the
> 64Bit version.
> Its kinda like a 'Deja-vu', yeeaaars ago when we moved from 16Bit to
> 32Bit.
>
> Franz

Richard Urban

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Very much like the move to 32-bit. Only more so, since MS dropped support
> for ANY 16 bit applications, and for DOS applications. They simply won't
> run. (However, you can use the downloadable Windows VirtualPC plus XPMode
> to run them virtualized.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Franz Leu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eD%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carlos schrieb:
>>> Jim,
>>> That was correct for Vista x64.
>>> Win 7 has embedded codecs for most of the popular formats, both in x86
>>> and x64 versions.
>>> Moreover Directshow type codecs (the ones used by ffdshow) run at a
>>> lower priority. The new buzzword is Windows Media Foundation. Those are
>>> the preferred codecs used by WMP and WMC.
>>> Carlos

>> OK, thank you guys.
>> This means that I just leave these apps as installed by the setup to not
>> mess up with other apps that might need the 32Bit version ... or the
>> 64Bit version.
>> Its kinda like a 'Deja-vu', yeeaaars ago when we moved from 16Bit to
>> 32Bit.
>>
>> Franz

Charlie,

I have a 16 bit application from 1995 that will not run under Windows XP
Mode. Well, it does, but not on the Windows 7 desktop.

Any ideas?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Carlos

Richard,
Install freeware virtual machine Virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org).
Later on install any 32-bit OS you may have stashed in your shelves and try
your 16-bit "oldie".
Brute force, but it will surely work!

Carlos

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Very much like the move to 32-bit. Only more so, since MS dropped support
> > for ANY 16 bit applications, and for DOS applications. They simply won't
> > run. (However, you can use the downloadable Windows VirtualPC plus XPMode
> > to run them virtualized.)
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> >

> > "Franz Leu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:eD%(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> OK, thank you guys.
> >> This means that I just leave these apps as installed by the setup to not
> >> mess up with other apps that might need the 32Bit version ... or the
> >> 64Bit version.
> >> Its kinda like a 'Deja-vu', yeeaaars ago when we moved from 16Bit to
> >> 32Bit.
> >>
> >> Franz

> Charlie,
>
> I have a 16 bit application from 1995 that will not run under Windows XP
> Mode. Well, it does, but not on the Windows 7 desktop.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security

Richard Urban

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard,
> Install freeware virtual machine Virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org).
> Later on install any 32-bit OS you may have stashed in your shelves and
> try
> your 16-bit "oldie".
> Brute force, but it will surely work!
>
> Carlos
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Very much like the move to 32-bit. Only more so, since MS dropped
>> > support
>> > for ANY 16 bit applications, and for DOS applications. They simply
>> > won't
>> > run. (However, you can use the downloadable Windows VirtualPC plus
>> > XPMode
>> > to run them virtualized.)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.
>> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>> >

>> > "Franz Leu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:eD%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Charlie,
>>
>> I have a 16 bit application from 1995 that will not run under Windows XP
>> Mode. Well, it does, but not on the Windows 7 desktop.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience & Security

The whole idea of Windows XP Mode is that the 16 bit program should be
virtualized on the Windows 7 desktop. It isn't. The program works just fine
in M/S Windows XP Mode under Windows Virtual PC.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience & Security

Charlie Russel - MVP

First, is the RAIL technology working for other applications? That's the
first requirement. Second, you'll need to install your 16 bit application
into XP and make sure that it is added to the All Users start menu.

Unfortunately, right now I don't have any machine that can run XP Mode,
since all my machines that support hardware virtualization are busy running
Windows Server 2008 R2. I had a spare machine for this, but it blew a
motherboard, and I haven't been able to replace it yet. Since it's an OLD
D920 processor, I'm not terribly inclined to spend much on it. Frankly, I'd
rather build a new machine from scratch.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...