Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: ASP.NET Performance Counters are all zero ... ?

Re: ASP.NET Performance Counters are all zero ... ?

Michael Carr

Further experimentation ...

I changed the App Pool Identity to "Administrator" and then it worked!
Obviously I don't want to run my ASP.NET service under the Administrator
user, so I created a new user named "CustomASPNET" and added it to the
IIS_WPG, but it didn't work. So then just for fun I added CustomASPNET into
the exact same groups as the Administrator account but it STILL didn't
work!! What the heck could be going on here?

Some more info:
1. My Server 2003 box is a PDC
2. I am running Exchange 2003
Do either of these mean anything?

Michael Carr

"John Soulis [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Michael,
> One of the reasons for this is that the account the W3WP process is

running
> under does not have suffient rights.
> Add the account that the W3WP process is running under to the IIS_WPG

group.
> Please let me know if this helps.
> Thank you,
> John Soulis
> Microsoft, ASP.NET
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

rights.

John Soulis [MSFT]

I will see what other information I can find on this. As I suspected, it is
a permissions related issue.
Thank you,
John Soulis
Microsoft, ASP.NET

John Soulis [MSFT]

Try this.
Use regedt32.exe
Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ASP.NET_1.1.4322\Names.

Open the Security tab, and add the worker process identity with the
following
permissions:
Query Value
Set Value
Create Subkey
Enumerate Subkeys
Notify
Read Control

Thank you,
John Soulis
Microsoft, ASP.NET

Michael Carr

Hey that worked!!

Being that I have a very vanilla installation of Windows Server 2003, I
think this solution deserves a Knowledgebase Article ... I definately would
have never figured this out on my own and I spent half a day or so looking
around on Google, Microsoft Support, MSDN, etc before posting the question
here.

Thanks a million!!
Michael Carr

"John Soulis [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try this.
> Use regedt32.exe
> Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ASP.NET_1.1.4322\Names.

> Open the Security tab, and add the worker process identity with the
> following
> permissions:
> Query Value
> Set Value
> Create Subkey
> Enumerate Subkeys
> Notify
> Read Control
>
> Thank you,
> John Soulis
> Microsoft, ASP.NET
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

rights.

John Soulis [MSFT]

This is in the works.
Thank you,