Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Lost my desktop icons

Lost my desktop icons

Emrys Davies

I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6

As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
doing it one by one manually.

Buffalo

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
>
> As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
> all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
> wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
> doing it one by one manually.

If you don't get it solved soon, post it in the Win98 ng.
microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Buffalo

PS: Usually if you restore the Registry, it fixes it.

Boot into dos and then, at the C:\ prompt type scanreg /restore and
press enter.

There is a space between scanreg and the /. I think it will even work
without it.

Choose the registry whose date is just before the problem started or the one
that morning.

Buffalo

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512

PS: I just boot into Dos and do it.

Emrys Davies

"Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hb0c8f$lf8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

Rebooting and scanreg /restore did not work. Thanks a lot.

Buffalo

Emrys Davies wrote:
> "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hb0c8f$lf8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
> Rebooting and scanreg /restore did not work. Thanks a lot.

Post your problem in the ng I mentioned earlier.
There are some 'great' experts in Win98 that lurk there.
Buffalo

chuckcar

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
>
> As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
> all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
> wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
> doing it one by one manually.

So *only* the shortcuts. Are you *absolutely* sure nobody else could have
deleted them? Sounds like the most likely explanation. Malware doesn't
usually bother with such pointless acts.

What *else* happened when the computer was on that time? something did it.
Have you scanned your system for malware? *every* file? With just updated
virus information files?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Buffalo

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
>
> As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
> all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
> wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
> doing it one by one manually.

It almost seems as if you got logged in as a different user. Is that
possible?
Buffalo

S?uhW??

Buffalo wrote:
> Emrys Davies wrote:
>> I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
>>
>> As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
>> all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
>> wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
>> doing it one by one manually.

> It almost seems as if you got logged in as a different user. Is that
> possible?
> Buffalo

It s somting to do with "Active Desktop"...you nedd to restoer taht.

<nods>

chuckcar

"Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hb0c8f$lf8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Emrys Davies wrote:
>> I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
>>
>> As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
>> all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
>> wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
>> doing it one by one manually.

> If you don't get it solved soon, post it in the Win98 ng.
> microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
>

> Buffalo
>
> PS: Usually if you restore the Registry, it fixes it.
>
> Boot into dos and then, at the C:\ prompt type scanreg /restore and
> press enter.
>
> There is a space between scanreg and the /. I think it will even work
> without it.

A Scanreg will do nothing for desktop icons. It will however change the
installed programs and settings. This should *always* be remembered when
doing a scanreg - which isn't a fix BTW, but an undo - of everything
recent with all the (including the unknown ones) problems that can go with
it. It's a last resort quick fix before a reinstall of windows. It serves
no other purpose unless the user *knows* the history of everything relevant.
Something very unlikely to be true.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

G. Morgan

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:55:14 +0100, "Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have Win.98, OE6 and IE6
>
>As I shut down my screensaver in preparation for PC maintenance I lost
>all of my desktop icons, except those irremovable ones, and I am
>wondering if there is some magical way of restoring them, other than
>doing it one by one manually.

I used to do that to **** with co-workers. I'd take a screen shot of the
desktop and make a .bmp file from it, then use it as their wallpaper.

Then I'd disable the desktop icons. hehehehe

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192393

or...

I think you can rt. click on the DT and uncheck "hide DT items", it's been a
while for Win98 for me.