Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ noes nothing about computers.

NZ noes nothing about computers.

Mary Hanna

If it did, how did the Air NZ computer system break down. don't they have a
back up system.

When I worked for Data Back they had a full backup system.

Peter

Mary Hanna wrote:
> If it did, how did the Air NZ computer system break down. don't they have
> a back up system.

Yes, there must be something seriously wrong with their disaster recovery
scheme.
On TV, they showed Win XP boot up screen when they said Air NZ was getting
the system going again. Not clear if the Air NZ system runs on Win XP, or
that was just handy file footage.

AD.

On Oct 11, 7:46*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If it did, how did the Air NZ computer system break down. don't they have a
> back up system.
>
> When I worked for Data Back they had a full backup system.

If you had've worked for them it never would've happened eh? coz you
noes everything about computers. I bet it was their antivirus scanner
or their video card drivers eh?

Gimme a break.

--
Cheers
Anton

Carnations

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:24:44 +1300, Peter wrote:

> On TV, they showed Win XP boot up screen when they said Air NZ was
> getting the system going again. Not clear if the Air NZ system runs on
> Win XP, or that was just handy file footage.

Probably just handy file footage, altho' I would expect that footage be copyrighted by Microsoft. ;o)

Carnations

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:52:01 -0700, AD. wrote:

> If you had've worked for them it never would've happened eh? coz you
> noes everything about computers. I bet it was their antivirus scanner or
> their video card drivers eh?

Doesn't AirNZ use a Mainframe?

Wouldn't AirNZ's data centre have UPSes with a backup generator?

Given that they've called in IBM for a blood-letting session I think that something didn't happen that
should have happened when the thing that shouldn't have happened happened. )

EMB

Carnations wrote:

> Doesn't AirNZ use a Mainframe?
>
> Wouldn't AirNZ's data centre have UPSes with a backup generator?
>
> Given that they've called in IBM for a blood-letting session I think that something didn't happen that
> should have happened when the thing that shouldn't have happened happened. )

I know a fair bit of background to this, and the only comment I am
willing to make is that I (like a lot of others who have worked there)
am surprised this didn't happen much sooner.

Simon

On Oct 11, 9:20*pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Carnations wrote:
> > Doesn't AirNZ use a Mainframe?

> > Wouldn't AirNZ's data centre have UPSes with a backup generator?

> > Given that they've called in IBM for a blood-letting session I think that something didn't happen that
> > should have happened when the thing that shouldn't have happened happened. )

> I know a fair bit of background to this, and the only comment I am
> willing to make is that I (like a lot of others who have worked there)
> am surprised this didn't happen much sooner.

Do you know offhand, what percentage of system availability Air New
Zealand aim for?

EMB

Simon wrote:

> Do you know offhand, what percentage of system availability Air New
> Zealand aim for?

It varies by system type and business unit.

thingy

On Oct 11, 8:24*pm, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mary Hanna wrote:
> > If it did, how did the Air NZ computer system break down. don't they have
> > a back up system.

> Yes, there must be something seriously wrong with their disaster recovery
> scheme.
> On TV, they showed Win XP boot up screen when they said Air NZ was getting
> the system going again. *Not clear if the Air NZ system runs on Win XP, or
> that was just handy file footage.

Pretty sure they have a small main frame...at their core...so its
possible it had a huge failure but those things are designed to
withstand that...

regards

peterwn

On Oct 11, 7:46*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If it did, how did the Air NZ computer system break down. don't they have a
> back up system.
>
> When I worked for Data Back they had a full backup system.

It will be interesting to see what happened. There was probably a
'common mode' failure point that had been overlooked, or a mistake
somewhere like a switch being left off.

In a Californian city the 911 phone service failed after an
earthquake. The calls were answered at the central cop shop and the
standby generator failed to start. The way it was configured it
required mains power to pump the fuel to the engine - of course a 12
volt pump should have been used!

There is a difference between Databank disaster recovery and the Air
NZ situation. In the Databank days, disaster recovery was about data
preservation and having access to sufficient alternative 'big iron'
in NZ. 'next day' was good enough.

In the Air NZ situation the requirement is virtually immediate
restoration - 10 minutes at the most.