Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > easy port question

easy port question

J Lunis

OK, did that. Best I can tell,
Pathping from PC to TIVO Lost Sent %
62 / 100 = 100
Source to here 62 / 100 = 100

pathping from PC to laptop everything is 100%

Clark wrote:
> Just like a ping. Open a command window and type pathping 192.168.1.1 or
> whatever. It is almost the same thing as tracert.
>
> Clark
>
> "J Lunis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Clark wrote:
>>
>>>I am assuming your laptop is wireless and the desktop is not. If you are
>>>going through the router and the laptop works, then the settings must be
>>>correct, unless the TiVo is possibly connecting directly to your
>>>wireless laptop.
>>>
>>>Look on the router and see if the TiVo has an IP address. Probably in
>>>the DHCP client window. Then try to ping it from the laptop and desktop.
>>>You might even do a pathping to see if they are the same.
>>>
>>>I have never set up a TiVo for wireless, but did you use the laptop to do
>>>that? You might go over those instructions to see if you notice
>>>anything.
>>>
>>>Clark

>>pathping? What do I do?

J Lunis

More stuff I don't understand. But before I start
my PC is wired to the router
cable modem wired to the router
laptop is wireless connection to the router
Tivo is wireless connection to the router

I can ping from PC to Tivo with no errors - 4 sent, 4 received
pingpath from PC to Tivo is below
telnet on port 80 from PC to Tivo 'could not open connection to the host'
telent on port 80 from PC to laptop - I get a blank screen with a
blinking cursor. Hitting ENTER 3 times gives me 3 more cursors. I have
been told this means 'success.'
telnet on port 2190 from PC to Tivo - immediately get the blank screen
just as seen with port 80 to the laptop
telnet on port 2190 from PC to laptop - immediately get the blank screen
just as seen with port 80

I still don't understand something (actually, many things).
For me to successfully telnet to my laptop on port 80, does that not
mean that port is open on my PC? And through the router? If I can ping
telnet from PC to one device but not another, is that still a PC problem?
When I successfully ping Tivo, what port is being used?

J Lunis wrote:
> OK, did that. Best I can tell,
> Pathping from PC to TIVO Lost Sent %
> 62 / 100 = 100
> Source to here 62 / 100 = 100
>
> pathping from PC to laptop everything is 100%
>

> Clark wrote:
>
>> Just like a ping. Open a command window and type pathping 192.168.1.1
>> or whatever. It is almost the same thing as tracert.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "J Lunis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> pathping? What do I do?

Is it reasonably easy easy to something like this with python? Bruno Desthuilliers Python 5 08-29-2007 07:40 AM
Stripping audio from qa DVD. Easy or not so easy? GJ Computer Support 1 05-23-2007 02:03 AM
Easy question- Aux port ML Cisco 2 10-19-2004 08:09 PM
easy to look at and easy to maintain web page menuing system. Hazzard ASP .Net 2 04-06-2004 03:51 AM

Advertisments