Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > AVIs on to TV

AVIs on to TV

Nick Rennie

Hi,

I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded shows on
the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just wondering what other
people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

Cheers,

Nick

Crapats (TM)

On Oct 10, 4:12*pm, "Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded shows on
> the telley, but it looks like it might have died. *Just wondering what other
> people are doing now? *Any new toys out there?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick

I've been using my MVIX 760 for about 3 years now. It's served me well
but has problems with new codecs and HD content. After having used
divx/dvd players, mvixes and other harddrive based avi players I've
decided the best thing to watch downloaded content is a PC. It might
cost a little bit more but in the end you know it will play anything.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded
> shows on the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just
> wondering what other people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

I've been putting them on a USB stick (or HDD) and using a Philips DVP
3252/75 that I bought for under $100.

I was so pleased with it that I bought a spare (when I heard that they were
being discontimued) in case it ever breaks down. LOL, the spare is still in
it's box in the wardrobe.
--
Shaun.

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:12:45 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded shows on
>the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just wondering what other
>people are doing now? Any new toys out there?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Nick

There's a newish Philips usb-equiped upscaling DVD player for <$120.
There's a box which crops up on trademe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=244764278 which seems
interesting.
There are satellite receivers on Trademe which purport to play avis
via usb.

Sorry to read of your ailing Mediagate .......... Cheers!

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:43:20 +1300, Mutley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded
>>> shows on the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just
>>> wondering what other people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

>>I've been putting them on a USB stick (or HDD) and using a Philips DVP
>>3252/75 that I bought for under $100.
>>
>>I was so pleased with it that I bought a spare (when I heard that they were
>>being discontimued) in case it ever breaks down. LOL, the spare is still in
>>it's box in the wardrobe.

>You could try one of these ..
>http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVAWDT0001
>
> Western Digital WDTV BOX HD Media Player Plays music videos Photo
>Full HD video playback and navigation
>
>I'm still using my Popcornhour A100

That WD box looks quite good, but I would not buy anything that lacks
the ability to play from network drives and streaming sources.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutley wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using an Altech Mediagate (MG-350) to watch downloaded
>>> shows on the telley, but it looks like it might have died. Just
>>> wondering what other people are doing now? Any new toys out there?

>> I've been putting them on a USB stick (or HDD) and using a Philips
>> DVP 3252/75 that I bought for under $100.
>>
>> I was so pleased with it that I bought a spare (when I heard that
>> they were being discontimued) in case it ever breaks down. LOL, the
>> spare is still in it's box in the wardrobe.

> You could try one of these ..
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVAWDT0001
>
> Western Digital WDTV BOX HD Media Player Plays music videos Photo
> Full HD video playback and navigation

LOL, Full HD? As it is I have trouble reading anything on screen (subtitles,
car race positions etc.) without spectacles and I just can't seem to find a
comfort zone wearing them.

Consequently I'm happy with VCR quality. It's good if it's widescreen
though, makes for a bigger picture, I don't have to sit so close. <g>

> I'm still using my Popcornhour A100

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Nick Rennie

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:43:20 +1300, Mutley
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>You could try one of these ..
>>>http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVAWDT0001
>>>
>>> Western Digital WDTV BOX HD Media Player Plays music videos Photo
>>>Full HD video playback and navigation
>>>
>>>I'm still using my Popcornhour A100

>>That WD box looks quite good, but I would not buy anything that lacks
>>the ability to play from network drives and streaming sources.

> That's why I am sticking with my current PCH until the new C200 gets
> the bugs ironed out.
>
> http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?

Cheers,

Nick

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:12:24 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>>>That WD box looks quite good, but I would not buy anything that lacks
>>>the ability to play from network drives and streaming sources.

>> That's why I am sticking with my current PCH until the new C200 gets
>> the bugs ironed out.
>>
>> http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
>>

>Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Nick

A quick google would find umpteen NZ resellers.

Mutlley

Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:12:24 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> That's why I am sticking with my current PCH until the new C200 gets
>>> the bugs ironed out.
>>>
>>> http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
>>>

>>Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Nick

>A quick google would find umpteen NZ resellers.

Cheaper to buy from PCH direct..

grum

Mutlley wrote:
> Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:12:24 +1300, "Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is the a NZ seller of the PCH or do they ship to NZ from the online store?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Nick

>> A quick google would find umpteen NZ resellers.

> Cheaper to buy from PCH direct..

A few months ago I bought Egreat M34A (a Popcorn Hour clone) from
Streamaster Australia (I'm in NZ). Very happy with both product and
supplier. Only notable format ommision for me is flash, plays almost
everything else I've tried. Craig at Streamaster is a top bloke, you'll
find him in the Whirlpool forums.
grum