Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question about McAfee

Question about McAfee

Newman

I use XP Home and have a HP A630N Pavilion and use McAfee Security Center.

A box with an offer to "update 3 programs" always appears on my desktop
after rebooting, asking if I want the programs updated. No indication of
what the programs are. The same box continues to appear many times during
the day whether I am rebooting or not. It offers to update the 3 programs
(not saying what they are) now, or later, but there is no way to just say,
"go away and don't come back. Don't remind me at all." I am really getting
annoyed at these little useless boxes. How many things need updating a dozen
times a day?

richard

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 21:55:31 -0400, Newman wrote:

> I use XP Home and have a HP A630N Pavilion and use McAfee Security Center.
>
> A box with an offer to "update 3 programs" always appears on my desktop
> after rebooting, asking if I want the programs updated. No indication of
> what the programs are. The same box continues to appear many times during
> the day whether I am rebooting or not. It offers to update the 3 programs
> (not saying what they are) now, or later, but there is no way to just say,
> "go away and don't come back. Don't remind me at all." I am really getting
> annoyed at these little useless boxes. How many things need updating a dozen
> times a day?

Uninstall McAfee.
Resource Hog and bloatware.

VanguardLH

Newman wrote:

> I use XP Home and have a HP A630N Pavilion and use McAfee Security Center.
>
> A box with an offer to "update 3 programs" always appears on my desktop
> after rebooting, asking if I want the programs updated. No indication of
> what the programs are. The same box continues to appear many times during
> the day whether I am rebooting or not. It offers to update the 3 programs
> (not saying what they are) now, or later, but there is no way to just say,
> "go away and don't come back. Don't remind me at all." I am really getting
> annoyed at these little useless boxes. How many things need updating a dozen
> times a day?

Get SysInternals' Process Explorer. The aim-point toolbar icon
identifies which process owns a window. Click on the icon and then
click in the suspect window. Knowing what process owns a window helps
to know who is the culprit. The path to the file that loads the process
also sometimes helps.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Get SysInternals' Process Explorer.

Agreed http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

When the boxs' appear P.E. will change colors for that process, double
clicking on it and selecting image will show where it's located, the
name of the file alone can help a lot.

Since you had to ask, unhide all your files first:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

--

Those country boys...
http://imgur.com/eLFPa