Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Really Xbuntu? Et tu?

Really Xbuntu? Et tu?

hwf

So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the "create
big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The included
uninstaller worked *perfectly*.

^_^

Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support with
the linuxes.

Bummer.

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

Aragorn

On Friday 09 October 2009 23:34 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
§ñühw¤£f wrote...

> So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu
> tested by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via
> the "create big folder" on windows.

That's because you're either not using the proper tools or you're using
the wrong distribution. You mention "Zevenos" - I have never heard of
it before. Perhaps you should try a "mint" flavor of any of the Ubuntu

> But would it boot?
> Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The
> included uninstaller worked *perfectly*.
>
> ^_^
>
> Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to
> support with the linuxes.

Don't know. Look at the hardware and do your research. If it requires
proprietary drivers - other than the habitual nVidia/Ati-AMD video
drivers or an occasional WiFi driver that can be made to work
using /ndiswrapper/ - my advice is not to buy it.

If you willingly buy hardware of which it is abundantly clear that the
manufacturer only wishes to support Windows and even has measures in
place to ensure that it will indeed only run Windows, then the
responsibility is yours, not that of the Linux kernel developers or the
GNU/Linux distributors.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:
> So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu

tested
> by lots of devs and users...heh.

ZevenOS isn't actually a part of the genuine 'buntu family such as Ub,
Kub, Xub, the upcoming Lubuntu and others. Lub will employ the LXDE
desktop efficiently as opposed to the heavier Xub which employs the XFCE
desktop and/but Xub doesn't do it very efficiently.

ZevenOS is a German XFCE off of Ub^1 which isn't really adequately
developed and hasn't been reviewed in English.

> Zevenos would only install via the
> "create big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
> Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The
> included uninstaller worked *perfectly*.

> Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to
> support with the linuxes.

Results of Dell D600 testing by the Ub teams thru' Feisty Fawn 7.04
http://snipr.com/sfdgm LaptopTestingTeam/DellLatitudeD600

Guide to linux on the d600 at linlap
http://www.linlap.com/wiki/dell+latitude+d600 Linux support for the
D600 is excellent.

^1 ZevenOS is an Ubuntu-based GNU/Linux distribution with focus on
providing a fast and easy-to-use system with BeOS-like user interface
and support for older hardware. The distribution is built on top of a
recent Linux kernel and includes a large number of popular open-source
software applications for office use, multimedia playback and software
development. ZevenOS also ships with MAGI, a tool for starting
applications and managing the system.

--
Mike Easter

chuckcar

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hao9ql$58u$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
> by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the
> "create big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
> Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The
> included uninstaller worked *perfectly*.

I'm not sure by your vagueness, but it *sounds* like you tried to install
linux into a Microsoft partition. Something that *can* work, but is far
less efficient and kludgy than real linux. As for it "booting", well that
would have to happen inside whatever OS you had originally as there would
be no separate partition to boot.

Shut off your swap file, defragment your drive shrink it with the tools
that come with linux and create a 1GB swap partition and at least 5GB for
the ext3 partition. *then* install linux. Uninstalling would require
running a live CD and using cfdisk to remove the partitions afterwards
followed by rewriting the MBR.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chucktard wrote:

> As for it "booting", well that would have to happen inside whatever OS
> you had originally as there would be no separate partition to boot.

CtS, look up "Wubi".

--
-bts

jellybean stonerfish

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 19:19:58 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> chucktard wrote:
>
>> As for it "booting", well that would have to happen inside whatever OS
>> you had originally as there would be no separate partition to boot.

> CtS, look up "Wubi".

That's what I thought. A wubi install of Zevenos.
Who knows, maybe the OP will post again in his native language.
Maybe then somebody could understand what he is talking about.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support with
>the linuxes.

I had a Dell D500 Lattitude, grab the service manual for your computer
(while it's available), it will also mention what programs you need or
are available for linux.

My starting page for the D500 service manual.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/sm/index.htm

--

Those country boys...
http://imgur.com/eLFPa

Must be photoshop'd, no bullet holes.

Whiskers

On 2009-10-09, §ñühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
> by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the "create
> big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
> Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The included
> uninstaller worked *perfectly*.
>
> ^_^
>
> Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support
> with the linuxes.
>
> Bummer.

Not all that hard, for some people at least:
<http://uk.ask.com/web?q=dell+600+linux&o=312&l=dir&siteid=&dm=all&js s=0>.

Hardware faults are always a possibility with older computers.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

hwf

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Whiskers
wrote:
> On 2009-10-09, §ñühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > So I tried an Xbuntu distro thinking its light weight and ubuntu tested
> > by lots of devs and users...heh. Zevenos would only install via the

> "create
> > big folder" on windows. But would it boot?
> > Uh uh...it gave a nice error 15. But I *will* say this for it. The

> included
> > uninstaller worked *perfectly*.
> >
> > ^_^
> >
> > Hmmmmm...I guess the Dell D600 Lattitude is a very hard laptop to support
> > with the linuxes.
> >
> > Bummer.

> Not all that hard, for some people at least:
> <http://uk.ask.com/web?q=dell+600+linux&o=312&l=dir&siteid=&dm=all&js s=0>.
>
> Hardware faults are always a possibility with older computers.

Thanks...I'm thinking maybe it was a faulty download since it get an error
"cant boot from cd" when I try the ZevenOs on my desktop as well. And Nero
complains about the file size not being the same when you burn image.
My isp isnt very good about not dumping you part way thru a download of a big
file. And 600mb's is big apparently.

snuhwolf wrote:

> Thanks...I'm thinking maybe it was a faulty download since it get an
> error "cant boot from cd" when I try the ZevenOs on my desktop as

well.
> And Nero complains about the file size not being the same when you

burn
> image.
> My isp isnt very good about not dumping you part way thru a download

of
> a big file. And 600mb's is big apparently.

Before you burn the CD iso there's an md5 to check.

Before you boot the CD ZevenOS provides a function/option to check the
CD for defects. http://snipr.com/sfs1r

--
Mike Easter