Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Application that can auto-increment my clipboard value each time Ipaste

Application that can auto-increment my clipboard value each time Ipaste

Rats

Hi,

I'm after a little application that runs in the background and auto-
increments my clipboard value each time I paste it e.g. 1is copied to
the clipboard (ctrl+c), I paste "1" into the first field of an
application, clipboard value is incremented by some predefined value,
I perform another paste into a new field and the new value is pasted
instead of the original "1".

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nik Coughlin

"Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm after a little application that runs in the background and auto-
> increments my clipboard value each time I paste it e.g. 1is copied to
> the clipboard (ctrl+c), I paste "1" into the first field of an
> application, clipboard value is incremented by some predefined value,
> I perform another paste into a new field and the new value is pasted
> instead of the original "1".
>
> Any ideas?

I have an idea but it has nothing to do with the clipboard. What are you
actually trying to do? I won't bother explaining if what I have in mind
won't help

Crapats (TM)

On Oct 9, 11:53*am, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have an idea but it has nothing to do with the clipboard. What are you
> actually trying to do? *I won't bother explaining if what I have in mind
> won't help

I have a form which allows data entry. On completing the data entry on
the form a PDF file is generated. There is some logic on the form in
the terms of more/fewer data entry fields displayed as a result of
questions posed. I would like to quickly paste a sequential string of
values in each field so I can then compare the PDF to the input data.
In this way it will be pretty easy to see if any values were missed
from the PDF.

Nik Coughlin

"Crapats (TM)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 9, 11:53 am, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have an idea but it has nothing to do with the clipboard. What are you
> > actually trying to do? I won't bother explaining if what I have in mind
> > won't help

> I have a form which allows data entry. On completing the data entry on
> the form a PDF file is generated. There is some logic on the form in
> the terms of more/fewer data entry fields displayed as a result of
> questions posed. I would like to quickly paste a sequential string of
> values in each field so I can then compare the PDF to the input data.
> In this way it will be pretty easy to see if any values were missed
> from the PDF.

Ah OK. Well, if you can't find a way to autoincrement the clipboard value
you can always generate a series of sequential values using the autofill
handle in Excel (or OpenOffice Calc) and then having the spreadsheet side by
side with the form and copy paste like that. Might be more effort than just
typing them, it depends on what your starting number is

Crapats (TM)

On Oct 9, 1:51*pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ah OK. *Well, if you can't find a way to autoincrement the clipboard value
> you can always generate a series of sequential values using the autofill
> handle in Excel (or OpenOffice Calc) and then having the spreadsheet side by
> side with the form and copy paste like that. Might be more effort than just
> typing them, it depends on what your starting number is

Yes, I think it will be more effort then it's worth. I will just write
a little app over the weekend. Thanks for your help.

Nik Coughlin

"Crapats (TM)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 9, 1:51 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Ah OK. Well, if you can't find a way to autoincrement the clipboard
> > value
> > you can always generate a series of sequential values using the autofill
> > handle in Excel (or OpenOffice Calc) and then having the spreadsheet
> > side by
> > side with the form and copy paste like that. Might be more effort than
> > just
> > typing them, it depends on what your starting number is

> Yes, I think it will be more effort then it's worth. I will just write
> a little app over the weekend. Thanks for your help.

It may be harder than you think, I've done some work with clipboard stuff
and while it's easy to post data to the clipboard or detect when data is
copied to the clipboard, but I've never been able to detect it going
outwards... if you figure it out let me know

Crapats (TM)

On Oct 9, 5:01*pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It may be harder than you think, I've done some work with clipboard stuff
> and while it's easy to post data to the clipboard or detect when data is
> copied to the clipboard, but I've never been able to detect it going
> outwards... if you figure it out let me know

This maybe true for right click paste or paste from menu but not for
shortcut keys . I used a keyhook function to detect "ctrl+v". Each
time this key combination occurs I can then modify the clipboard
value. I am not really incrementing the clipboard value. Instead on
detecting the paste function I just copy a new value to the clipboard.

I don't need this program to be super robust or anything. I was just
trying to make testing some forms a little bit easier.

Thanks

impossible

"Crapats (TM)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 9, 5:01 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> It may be harder than you think, I've done some work with clipboard stuff
>> and while it's easy to post data to the clipboard or detect when data is
>> copied to the clipboard, but I've never been able to detect it going
>> outwards... if you figure it out let me know

>This maybe true for right click paste or paste from menu but not for
>shortcut keys . I used a keyhook function to detect "ctrl+v". Each
>time this key combination occurs I can then modify the clipboard
>value. I am not really incrementing the clipboard value. Instead on
>detecting the paste function I just copy a new value to the clipboard.
>
>I don't need this program to be super robust or anything. I was just
>trying to make testing some forms a little bit easier.

http://www.thornsoft.com/

John Little

> I'm after a little application that runs in the background and auto-
> increments my clipboard value each time I paste it

Not exactly, but a with a line of vim script (or some other scriptable
editor or tool) you could have vim pushing a counter to the clipboard
on some event, say a right click.

Regards, John