Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > datetime.datetime. or datetime. ?

datetime.datetime. or datetime. ?

niklasr

On Oct 10, 8:43*pm, Carl Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2:26*am, niklasr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > When you do this:

> > > * import datetime

> > > you have to do this

> > > * d = datetime.datetime()

> > > And when you do this:

> > > * from datetime import datetime

> > > you have to do this:

> > > * d = datetime()

> > > You evidently did this:

> > > * from datetime import datetime

> > > then this:

> > > * d = datetime.datetime()

> > > which is not allowed.

> > > If you want to self-comply, I recommend always doing it the first way..

> > Understood it's a choice and to stay consistent with chosen. If the
> > first is recommended, why is second way possible?

> Because not everything in Python is a "professional project" that
> needs "self-complying".
>
> Also there are occasions where the second way is better. *In a piece
> of code that does a lot of math, would you rather write "math.sin(x
> +2)" all over the place, or "sin(x+2)"?
>
> Carl Banks

just sin(x+2) looks most natural. exactly why I asked, first module
and class or class and function have same name so we don't know which
is which, then conflict when dev1 uses one convention and dev2
another. I anyway complied towards the devendency so that next commit
from dev 2 is compatible with dev 1 and viceversa. My choice would
have been ...=datetime.now which was incompatible
with ...=datetime.datime.now() therefore just rather refactoring my
thing to comply with the dependecies than the other way, changing the
patch, appears the smoothest way here.
Thanks for all help
Niklas r