Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Modelsim under 64-bit Linux

Modelsim under 64-bit Linux

clavius

I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. However, I currently have 64-
bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
like to keep.

Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
on a PC?

Mike Treseler

clavius wrote:

> Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
> on a PC?

No I use two PCs and a KVM switch.
Computers are cheap.

-- Mike Treseler

Paul Floyd

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:20:37 -0700 (PDT), clavius <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
> Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. However, I currently have 64-
> bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
> like to keep.
>
> Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
> on a PC?

If you can't have two PCs as Mike suggests, then there are two other
possibilities:
1. Multiboot. You'll either have to add another hard disk, or make space
on the disk with Windows on. This will have the best performance, but
you will not be able to run Windows apps whilst booted to Linux or vice
versa.
2. Virtual Machines, e.g., vmware, virtual box etc. I don't know where
they are wrt 64bit clients running 64bit hosts OSes. You will be able to
run apps simultaneously, but there will be a performance penalty in
using the VM.

A bientot
Paul
[Not speaking for Mentor Graphics]
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

Tricky

On 8 Oct, 18:20, clavius <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
> Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. * However, I currently have 64-
> bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
> like to keep.
>
> Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
> on a PC?

I assume you have a large memory area to map into?

Have you tried creating a sparse memory model, only creating small
chunks of memory as and when they are used? From the design, the
memory still looks like the full memory.

Sean Durkin

clavius wrote:
> I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
> Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. However, I currently have 64-
> bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
> like to keep.
>
> Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
> on a PC?

Yep, shouldn't be a problem, as long as you install Linux AFTER Windows.
Windows tends to overwrite third-party boot managers during
installation, and it's a bit of a hassle to get that working again
afterwards. So you could put in another hardrive, or make some room on
the one Windows is installed on, then install Linux and then choose
during startup which OS you want to boot.

Another possibility would be to, as other posts suggest, use some kind
of virtual machine. The problem here is that you normally need the RAM
you want the virtual Linux machine to have PLUS what the Windows host
needs, so that's a whole lot...

The third option, again like others suggested, is use another machine.
This I would prefer... I have a 64bit-Linux-machine stacked away
somewhere in a server room where it can run 24/7 and connect via Xming
from a Windows host. If the LAN is reasonably fast this is not noticably
slower than having the app run on the local machine. Plus, if the
simulation takes a lot of time, you can run that on the remote machine
and keep working on something else on your Windows machine without
slowing it down.

HTH,
Sean

d_s_klein

On Oct 8, 12:53*pm, Paul Floyd <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:20:37 -0700 (PDT), clavius <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
> > Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. * However, I currently have 64-
> > bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
> > like to keep.

> > Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
> > on a PC?

> If you can't have two PCs as Mike suggests, then there are two other
> possibilities:
> 1. Multiboot. You'll either have to add another hard disk, or make space
> on the disk with Windows on. This will have the best performance, but
> you will not be able to run Windows apps whilst booted to Linux or vice
> versa.
> 2. Virtual Machines, e.g., vmware, virtual box etc. I don't know where
> they are wrt 64bit clients running 64bit hosts OSes. You will be able to
> run apps simultaneously, but there will be a performance penalty in
> using the VM.
>
> A bientot
> Paul
> [Not speaking for Mentor Graphics]
> --
> Paul Floyd * * * * * * * *http://paulf.free.fr

RE: #2

64 bit guests work just fine in 64bit hosts. My preference is a Linux
host, and linux/windows guests.

The virtualizer steals about 2% of the CPU (in my benchmarks) - that
ain't much.

As someone pointed out, a killer 64-bit Linux machine can be had for
10% of a questasim license. Why try to get one machine to do so
much? Where is the savings?

RK

HT-Lab

"clavius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a large design that will require I run the 64-bit version of
> Modelsim, which only runs under Linux. However, I currently have 64-
> bit Windows Vista on my PC with many Windows applications that I would
> like to keep.
>
> Has anyone tried to run both 64-bit Linux and Windows simultaneously
> on a PC?

Just in case you are not aware of this, Modelsim PE 6.4 and later are linked
with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch (see release notes). This switch will give
Modelsim PE/DE an extra GB under Win32 (total 3Gbyte, see
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...CHG.65%29.aspx)

Unfortunately as far as I know this switch does not give Modelsim PE/DE 4GB when
invoking under XP64/Vista64 but apparently it does under 64bits Linux (Modelsim
DE runs in its own virtual 4GByte address space on 64bits Linux).

Hans
www.ht-lab.com