Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Non-Standard User Accounts

Non-Standard User Accounts

Daddy

A question about Windows XP SP 3...something I've long wondered about:

Even though a user can be assigned to any user group, the User Accounts
applet in Control Panel only seems to recognize users in the Administrators
or Users groups. For example, if I assign a user to the Power Users group
(and no other group), the user shows up as "Unknown Account Type" in User
Accounts.

Not that it really matters, but why does this happen?

Daddy

Gordon

"Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A question about Windows XP SP 3...something I've long wondered about:
>
> Even though a user can be assigned to any user group, the User Accounts
> applet in Control Panel only seems to recognize users in the
> Administrators or Users groups. For example, if I assign a user to the
> Power Users group (and no other group), the user shows up as "Unknown
> Account Type" in User Accounts.
>
> Not that it really matters, but why does this happen?
>
> Daddy

No such thing as "Power Users" AFAIK.....

Daddy

<embarassed> Sorry...wrong newsgroup! </embarassed>

Daddy

news:e8J3M$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A question about Windows XP SP 3...something I've long wondered about:
>>
>> Even though a user can be assigned to any user group, the User Accounts
>> applet in Control Panel only seems to recognize users in the
>> Administrators or Users groups. For example, if I assign a user to the
>> Power Users group (and no other group), the user shows up as "Unknown
>> Account Type" in User Accounts.
>>
>> Not that it really matters, but why does this happen?
>>
>> Daddy
>>

> No such thing as "Power Users" AFAIK.....

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
http://www.workingbrain.net/network/Groups.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news:e8J3M$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Daddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A question about Windows XP SP 3...something I've long wondered about:
>>
>> Even though a user can be assigned to any user group, the User Accounts
>> applet in Control Panel only seems to recognize users in the
>> Administrators or Users groups. For example, if I assign a user to the
>> Power Users group (and no other group), the user shows up as "Unknown
>> Account Type" in User Accounts.
>>
>> Not that it really matters, but why does this happen?
>>
>> Daddy
>>

> No such thing as "Power Users" AFAIK.....

Gordon

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> http://www.workingbrain.net/network/Groups.jpg
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

OK so there might BE something called "power users" but it is (IMHO) totally
spurious. Either the User is a Standard User, or an Administrator. What's
the point in having something in between?