Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fast and slow SD Cards

Fast and slow SD Cards

dave

I was going to get a spare SD Card for a recorder and the tech
support guy said to get one which was under 2GB and not high speed.

I can understand the recorder may not support SDHC and won't
recognise a 2GB+ card.

But what is that about not using a fast SD Card. Surely my recorder
ought to work whatever the speed of the SD memory card?

Was he talking crap?

Ofnuts

dave wrote:
> I was going to get a spare SD Card for a recorder and the tech
> support guy said to get one which was under 2GB and not high speed.
>
> I can understand the recorder may not support SDHC and won't
> recognise a 2GB+ card.
>
> But what is that about not using a fast SD Card. Surely my recorder
> ought to work whatever the speed of the SD memory card?
>
> Was he talking crap?

May he's just saying that investing in really fast cards isn't going to
help much. A recorder (sound? camcorder?) has a fixed write rate so when
recording you don't need a card much faster than that.

Having a fast card can however be a good thing when transferring the
files to a computer.

--
Bertrand

europe.news.astraweb.com

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsdezm.62528$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was going to get a spare SD Card for a recorder and the tech
> support guy said to get one which was under 2GB and not high speed.
>
> I can understand the recorder may not support SDHC and won't
> recognise a 2GB+ card.
>
> But what is that about not using a fast SD Card. Surely my recorder
> ought to work whatever the speed of the SD memory card?
>
> Was he talking crap?

The speed rating of the card is the fastest that it can manage, not the
speed that it *must* run at. A fast card will transfer slowly when
necessary! It will cost more though, so if you don't need fast transfer
speeds, then you can save money by buying a slower one.

Bob Williams

dave wrote:
> I was going to get a spare SD Card for a recorder and the tech
> support guy said to get one which was under 2GB and not high speed.

Maybe he meant, "Don't get a High Capacity card".
That would, of course be a SDHC, which may not in fact, be compatible
with your recorder.
As far as speed is concerned, high speed cards are really nice for
downloading images to your computer.
Most manufacturers don't advertise the card's speed but some do.
My SD cards that are rated at 150X do a very good job.
I have recently seen a SDHC card rated as 300X, but I have not used it.
Bob Williams

David J Taylor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With respect Bob, virtually all SDHC card maufacturers do advertise the
> card's speed - on the card itself. You'll see a number (usually within a
> circle) which indicates that card's speed and is called "Class".
> Respectively,
>
> Class 4 is rated at 4.0 or 4.8 MBytes per second.
> Class 6 is rated at 6.0 MBytes per second.

[]

> Regards...

Doesn't seem to apply to the SDHC cards I have:

SanDisk - labelled class 4, and 15MB/s

DaneElec- labelled class 6, and 133X (19.95MB/s)

David