Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player

- Bobb -

Quick review: I bought one $99 at BestBuy - but returned it.
I liked it, but it would NOT play the audio from QuickTime videos - which
is WHY I bought it. Video played but message on top of screen showed that
the audio was not compatible.WMV video and pictures /slideshow worked fine,
but my cameras takes Quicktime video and if I have to convert video to
something other than mov to use the device, then I might as well then just
burn the video when I'm done converting for viewing on TV. My goal was to
save that step. I wanted to remove mem stick from camera - copy to folder on
HDD and watch on TV using this box .

- Bobb -

"James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hail83$jbj$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:hai9t7$in7$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Quick review: I bought one $99 at BestBuy - but returned it.
>> I liked it, but it would NOT play the audio from QuickTime videos -
>> which is WHY I bought it. Video played but message on top of screen
>> showed that the audio was not compatible.WMV video and pictures
>> /slideshow worked fine, but my cameras takes Quicktime video and if I
>> have to convert video to something other than mov to use the device, then
>> I might as well then just burn the video when I'm done converting for
>> viewing on TV. My goal was to save that step. I wanted to remove mem
>> stick from camera - copy to folder on HDD and watch on TV using this box
>> .

> Would some CODEC packs help that?

Not sure. I downloaded latest firmware - same thing. Package states mov -
but apparently - only video ??? Couldn't find any info that did not involve
converting.
My intent before buying it : I'd remove SD memstick form camera - insert
into USB holder - plug into WD TV box. WMV,mp3, jpg were fine - just mov
issue.

Paul

- Bobb - wrote:
> "James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hail83$jbj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:hai9t7$in7$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> Quick review: I bought one $99 at BestBuy - but returned it.
>>> I liked it, but it would NOT play the audio from QuickTime videos -
>>> which is WHY I bought it. Video played but message on top of screen
>>> showed that the audio was not compatible.WMV video and pictures
>>> /slideshow worked fine, but my cameras takes Quicktime video and if I
>>> have to convert video to something other than mov to use the device, then
>>> I might as well then just burn the video when I'm done converting for
>>> viewing on TV. My goal was to save that step. I wanted to remove mem
>>> stick from camera - copy to folder on HDD and watch on TV using this box
>>> .

>> Would some CODEC packs help that?
>>

> Not sure. I downloaded latest firmware - same thing. Package states mov -
> but apparently - only video ??? Couldn't find any info that did not involve
> converting.
> My intent before buying it : I'd remove SD memstick form camera - insert
> into USB holder - plug into WD TV box. WMV,mp3, jpg were fine - just mov
> issue.

..mov is a container format. Many kinds of CODECs fit inside of it.
Some of them, even Apple wants to forget.

If you're serious about this "copy from my camera and play
immediately idea", you need to start by identifying what the
CODEC is, inside the .mov file. Then, research how "standard"
that CODEC is. And what the odds are, of finding support for it.

For some cameras, the manufacturer's conversion software may be
the only software that understands the video format. So it
isn't likely that any media playback box, can handle everything.

Looking at the WD manual for your $99 box, they support MPEG4
inside MOV. And they had to support that for some other movie
formats, so their support for Quicktime was more of an accident
than by design. I expect, if they wanted to include support
for a Sorensen CODEC, there would be a fee Sorensen would
charge. Pretty soon, the box costs a lot more, and customers
aren't interested in buying one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicktime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorenson_codec

I bet, even the AppleTV, doesn't play all possible Quicktime movies

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Paul

- Bobb -

Paul,

Since I'm not a "video guy" thanks for the explanation.
I now know what ( what not) to look for
I read " plays mov files" and to me that meant only QuickTime, and thought
all mov files should play.

news:haj0uk$1th$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...