Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > For those interested in OS news

For those interested in OS news

Sailor Sam

The big mover in OS development is, and has been for a while, mobile phones.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...1007-gm2d.html

It seems that this offering from Microsoft is being bagged by critics
(and I haven't dealt with it personally so cannot, and will not, comment)

Although the figures given, 22% for blackberry in the corporate market,
and 25% for iPhone in the personal market (Windows Mobile previously
held top notch in the corporate market at 21%, but is now at 16%)

One of the key criticisms given surprises me, that the UI of the
microsoft product is terrible. I'm surprised because Microsoft normally
puts a lot of effort into UI, and this has to be the key area for an OS,
or application, in this day and age. Hardware and OS technology is at
the point, for the moment anyway, where look and feel is not a luxury,
but a key driver of sales, an absolute must is high usability. If using
an application, or OS, gets in the users way, what use is it (Hrm, I
best stop my Usability rant before someone gets hurt )

Richard

Crash wrote:

> There phone face (equivalent to the desktop on a PC) looks like
> Windows, as does the start button (curiously at the top of the
> screen). The Start button has a 'settings' choice which gets into the
> equivalent functionality of control panel. This is where the
> similarity ends. There is no alt-tab function to move between Lapps
> which I find intensely annoying. To move from one app to another, the
> current app must be closed and the new one started.

The ones I have used have allowed multiple apps at once, perhaps its
some limitation of this custom app you have to use that limits you from
switching away from it to other apps?

> Phone boot time is totally atrocious. I have not timed it but it must
> be close to the boot time on my laptop - totally excessive compared to
> other cell phones I have used

windows mobile is nothing when compared to a N97 for boot time. Forget
turning it on to make a quick phonecall. Put it this way, if I turn the
phone on when I get in the car and want to play some music off it, I am
normally where I was going before its loaded the bloody music player and
given me the all albums list.

> So a major revision of the UI is no surprise to me.
> --
> Crash

Warwick

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:02:11 +1300, Sailor Sam wrote:

> The big mover in OS development is, and has been for a while, mobile phones.
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...1007-gm2d.html
>
> It seems that this offering from Microsoft is being bagged by critics
> (and I haven't dealt with it personally so cannot, and will not, comment)
>
> Although the figures given, 22% for blackberry in the corporate market,
> and 25% for iPhone in the personal market (Windows Mobile previously
> held top notch in the corporate market at 21%, but is now at 16%)
>
> One of the key criticisms given surprises me, that the UI of the
> microsoft product is terrible. I'm surprised because Microsoft normally
> puts a lot of effort into UI, and this has to be the key area for an OS,
> or application, in this day and age. Hardware and OS technology is at
> the point, for the moment anyway, where look and feel is not a luxury,
> but a key driver of sales, an absolute must is high usability. If using
> an application, or OS, gets in the users way, what use is it (Hrm, I
> best stop my Usability rant before someone gets hurt )

What happened to symbian? Anyways I don't care, I have
nothing but contempt for the cell phone industry. They
haven't a clue what they are doing and compared to the
computer industry the telcos are total ****ing amateurs.

--
cheers

Sailor Sam

Warwick wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:02:11 +1300, Sailor Sam wrote:
>
>> The big mover in OS development is, and has been for a while, mobile phones.
>>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...1007-gm2d.html
>>
>> It seems that this offering from Microsoft is being bagged by critics
>> (and I haven't dealt with it personally so cannot, and will not, comment)
>>
>> Although the figures given, 22% for blackberry in the corporate market,
>> and 25% for iPhone in the personal market (Windows Mobile previously
>> held top notch in the corporate market at 21%, but is now at 16%)
>>
>> One of the key criticisms given surprises me, that the UI of the
>> microsoft product is terrible. I'm surprised because Microsoft normally
>> puts a lot of effort into UI, and this has to be the key area for an OS,
>> or application, in this day and age. Hardware and OS technology is at
>> the point, for the moment anyway, where look and feel is not a luxury,
>> but a key driver of sales, an absolute must is high usability. If using
>> an application, or OS, gets in the users way, what use is it (Hrm, I
>> best stop my Usability rant before someone gets hurt )

> What happened to symbian?

That is an excellent question, easily answered by Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian_OS

> Anyways I don't care, I have
> nothing but contempt for the cell phone industry.

Then why waste everyone elses time?

> They
> haven't a clue what they are doing and compared to the
> computer industry the telcos are total ****ing amateurs.

I think you're more than a little confused there.

Telcos != cell phone OS developers.
Cell phone OS developers include, Google (Android), Microsoft (Windows
Mobile), Nokia, Apple (iPhone) and Blackberry.

Telcos are people like Vodafone, Telecom, BT, etc.

In any event, mobile phone development, OS and user space applications,
is the new paradigm in the "computer industry" with a large amount of
effort going into dealing with the new issue it presents, reduced screen
size, reduced input functionality (how do you 'alternate click' on a
mobile device?).

> --
> cheers

I have been meaning to mention this before
http://www.guckes.net/mail/sig.etiquette.html
Pay particular attention to the section titled "Signature Dashes"

Simon

On Oct 7, 6:41*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> windows mobile is nothing when compared to a N97 for boot time. Forget
> turning it on to make a quick phonecall. Put it this way, if I turn the
> phone on when I get in the car and want to play some music off it, I am
> normally where I was going before its loaded the bloody music player and
> given me the all albums list.

I'm been turned off Nokia's after my recent experiences with the N95.
Crashes, voice/data disconnections, physical issues (batter cover
continuously falls off) etc. Not good

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:45:33 -0700 (PDT), Simon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Oct 7, 6:41*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> windows mobile is nothing when compared to a N97 for boot time. Forget
>> turning it on to make a quick phonecall. Put it this way, if I turn the
>> phone on when I get in the car and want to play some music off it, I am
>> normally where I was going before its loaded the bloody music player and
>> given me the all albums list.

>I'm been turned off Nokia's after my recent experiences with the N95.
>Crashes, voice/data disconnections, physical issues (batter cover
>continuously falls off) etc. Not good

So get it fixed or replaced under the CGA. There is no need to put up
with a bad product any more.