Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > problems installing 2nd dvd drive

problems installing 2nd dvd drive

Mike Easter

PeeCee wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

> Me, I think it would be reasonable to expect a drive that will appear

on
> Sata 1, albeit the old or the new one, should also appear on SATA 2/3

Yes.

> Which is what I understand him to be saying.

I wasn't understanding him so well. I was trying to get him to say if
his old optical which was known to be working would show on sata2or3.

> Unless it's a really weird motherboard (ok ok it's a DELL ) it
> should be the same chipset for SATA 1,2,3 and 4.

Yes.

> Therefore there should be no reason other than being disabled or fried
> for SATA 2/3 not to see the same drive SATA 1 can see.

Yes.

> Which is again what I think the OP is alluding to.

He has 2 opticals available to test sata/s 2 &/or 3. I'm sure the new
optical did not confirm that sata2 was working. I wonder if the old
optical would also say that sata2 wasn't working for it.

I know that he said he tried opticals and cables 'every whichaway', but
I don't know *exactly* what that means, so I was trying to see if there
was some kind of further sign that sata2 (or 3) didn't work, such as not
showing a known good optical.

--
Mike Easter

mitchbryan

right sorry i haven't replied - couldn't get online lst night.

i have tried both optical drives in SATA ports 1 2 and 3. nothing ever
appears in ports 2 or 3. i have tried every combination (i.e. 1-2,
1-3, 2-3) with each drive. i only ever get sata 1 working in the bios.
the power to the drives isn't the problem as i can open both drives
all the time.

how do i check they are enabled in the bios - i thought they were
automatically enabled and i could plug something in and it should be
detected stright away?

thanks for helping on this!

Mike Easter

mitchbryan wrote:

> how do i check they are enabled in the bios - i thought they were
> automatically enabled and i could plug something in and it should be
> detected stright away?

I would assume so as well.

I have seen the Dell Inspiron 531 manual. I don't have a link to it
right now, but its filename is 45605A00MR.pdf

That manual doesn't have any display of the contents or screenshots of
much of the BIOS setup, so you'll have to look at that on your own.

(Also) The manual sez that you get to Dell Diagnostics by using F12 when
the Dell logo shows. Pages 80-83 tell all about what kinds of
diagnostics you can get. That might be useful about the device
situation.

The manual also sez that you can get to the bios setup by using F2 when
the logo shows. Page 172 starts talking about setup, but then doesn't
go very far and doesn't provide any such information as (dis-
or)enabling sata/s.

--
Mike Easter

mitchbryan

ok that was very useful! had a look in the manual which i managed to
download.

it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections. is there
another way to connect a sata drive using a convertor?

Mike Easter

mitchbryan wrote:
> ok that was very useful! had a look in the manual which i managed to
> download.
>
> it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections. is there
> another way to connect a sata drive using a convertor?

Where do you see that?

I see:

p 121
Recommended Drive Cable Connections
.. Connect serial ATA hard drives to connectors labeled "SATA0" or
"SATA1" on the system board.
.. Connect serial ATA CD or DVD drives to connectors labeled "SATA2" or
"SATA3" on the system board.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

mitchbryan wrote:
> ok that was very useful! had a look in the manual which i managed to
> download.
>
> it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections. is there
> another way to connect a sata drive using a convertor?

manual p120
Drives
Your computer supports a combination of these devices:
.. Up to two serial ATA hard drives
.. One optional floppy drive or an optional Media Card Read
.. Up to two CD or DVD drives

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

mitchbryan wrote:

> it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections.

There's this http://snipr.com/sejhi Trouble enabling a new DVD drive
port in Setup - Inspiron 531

and this http://snipr.com/sejnu
Reboot and enter bios setup (F2)
Step 1: HDD SMART: DISABLED
Step 2: Advanced / Integrated Peripherals / Serial-ATA Configuration;
set the SATA controller to SATA 1+2 - this activates the other 2 SATA
ports

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

PeeCee wrote:

> Check in your Bios that all the SATA ports are enabled.

Apparently Dell obfuscates the disabled sata 2 & sata 3 condition. The
configuration for all 4 is 'sata 1+2' in Advanced section/ integrated
peripherals / serial-ata configuration/

--
Mike Easter

PeeCee

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PeeCee wrote:
>
>> Check in your Bios that all the SATA ports are enabled.

> Apparently Dell obfuscates the disabled sata 2 & sata 3 condition. The
> configuration for all 4 is 'sata 1+2' in Advanced section/ integrated
> peripherals / serial-ata configuration/
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Thanks Mike

Thought it may be something like that.
Would the OP advise if this was the case.

Best
Paul.