Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Renewing Norton 360

Renewing Norton 360

Alasdair

I am running Windows XP

My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.

There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes" which
they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how do I
renew using the licence code only.

--
Alasdair.

Mike Easter

Alasdair wrote:

> My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
> Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
> of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.

-1- you have other choices besides symantec's -- most people who want
an AV agent don't spend the kind of money symantec wants for their
product
-2- if you choose the 360 because you like it anyway, you have other
choices of how to pay them besides giving them the right to bill your CC
again or repeatedly

> There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes" which
> they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how do I
> renew using the licence code only.

-3- you can spend your money on all kinds of things on ebay which you
shouldn't -- notice that you attempted to describe something you saw
instead of giving a link to the specific thing which you were asking
about

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Alasdair wrote:

> I am running Windows XP

My condolences.

> My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
> Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
> of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.

Why not consider dumping it and using a combination of free software
instead?

> There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes"
> which they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how do
> I renew using the licence code only.

Got a link to one of these pages?

--
-bts
-"I have this bridge in Brooklyn..."

Alasdair

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:01:44 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got a link to one of these pages?

Here's a link to one of them but there are others:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTON-360-v3-...ht_2773wt_1165

--
Alasdair.

Falco

No Spam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am running Windows XP
>>
>> My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
>> Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
>> of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.
>>
>> There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes"
>> which they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how
>> do I renew using the licence code only.

> I would dump Norton immediately if you value your sanity and system
> performance.

Why? I have no problem with Norton, it does what it says on the packet and
it runs without problems on my system.

> Uninstall it using this.
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Why, when it's working ok?

> Reboot your system.

No need!

> Use Avast!.
> It is free.

You gets what you pay for - and *FREE* is not always best - an neither is
Avast!

> For additional protection, use Malwarebytes.
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Now why should I (or others) follow your advice?

VanguardLH

Alasdair wrote:

> I am running Windows XP
>
> My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
> Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
> of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.
>
> There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes" which
> they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how do I
> renew using the licence code only.

From Symantec for Norton 360 (2-year subscription)
full product: $135
renewal (2yr): $115

What boneheads. Do they really expect anyone to renew when the cost is
85% of the full product's price?

If concerned about them having your charge card and possibly
automatically charging you again after 2 years, see if your credit card
issuer has an online service to generate temporary card numbers that are
associated to your account with them. That way, you create a new card,
specify a max value that can be charged on it, and even specify when the
card number expires (usually 2 months minimum). If the bill is, say,
$45 (after any additional charges, like shipping & handling), just add
another $5 just in case there's a charge they didn't list or to ensure
charge goes through okay. After they have made their charge, you can
kill the temp card number and no one can charge anything to it again.
This limits your exposure for that online transaction to the max value
you allowed for that number. You can even let the temp card number
exist for an indefinite term so that recurring charges can be placed
against the same card number but charges won't go through until you
update that card number to extend out its expiration and add more money
to it.

You could go buy those pre-paid cards but they usually are at increments
which leaves money in them above what you intended to pay. Plus you
have to pay a fee to use them (i.e., you have to buy them before you
even put money in them). They don't seem cheap to me.

At Paypal, like with the temp credit card number, you pre-authorize a
max amount that can be charged to your account. At the particular
auction you listed in your other post, it says "Pay with PayPal and
you're fully protected" (it used to be MUCH more obvious before their
web redesign). Without that, I won't bother on any auction. Just make
sure you click the PayNow button for PayPal rather than get drawn to a
seller's "form" or their payment service. Even when they tell me to not
click the PayPal button, I do so anyway as that is the only way that I'm
paying them, plus that's how THEY presented their auction (I only search
on auctions where PayPal is offered). If they don't like it, they're
going to get negative feedback and a complaint issued to eBay for them
to resolve. If they say they accept PayPal, they had better do so.

That particular seller has been a member since 1999 so they didn't just
appear (to then just disappear). Yet in 10 years, as a "bulk" or store
seller, they've only accrued 458 transactions to include in their
feedback (there may be more where seller and buyer mutually agree to
discard their feedback but at the behest of the seller). Despite the
100% feedback rating, there are a few blemishes on this seller (which
cannot be simply excused by thieving or immature buyers). Of this
seller's 458 feedback score, only 278 are with him as the seller;
however, eBay is ****ed on their math. They show feedback as: 278 as
seller + 221 as buyer which does not make 458 total (eBay's rating), so
from the real total of 499 there are 41 feedbacks that are hidden (and
that's a lot of mutually agreed upon discard feedback). I only have 67
for feedback buy 41 as seller and 26 as buyer come up with the right
total (but then, as buyer, I never agree to withdraw feedback but I also
don't use feedback to punish a seller for a ****up on my end). This
seller isn't a registered eBay Store seller so consider him as someone
doing personal sales, not a business operating through eBay.

Unless the seller is operating an eBay store (or has one that links to
their store) with a super-high feedback count (which could mean they'd
be too busy to respond), I always send an e-mail to inquire on the
product for sale. Just be sure to contact them around 3 days before the
end of the auction to give them time to respond. This lets me gauge how
responsive they are to e-mails since that's usually the only avenue you
have for contacting them. If they don't respond, I don't bid. For the
auction you exampled, I'd ask why they even mention the type of [free]
shipping if the product might be delivered online via e-mail. Ask if
they actually deliver a hardcopy of the license key, if it is an
officially printed one from Symantec (or just some printer-generated one
by the seller), and what all gets mailed. If the license is sent via
e-mail, why would the delivery time be 4-5 business days instead of
within their dispatch time (the 1 or 2 days for them to handle the
transaction)? Is this "bulk" product they have to sell actually them
slicing out individual licenses from a volume license (which isn't
allowed)? There's usually something not mentioned in an auction which
is important to you that you could ask via e-mail to check if they
respond promptly or at all.

Whatever you spend at eBay, just be sure you can afford to have that
money hang in limbo for awhile or to lose it. I buy and sell at eBay
but realize there is more risk than going with a long-established,
well-known, and well rated online store or product vendor. What I sell
is what I can afford to lose, and why I buy is what I can afford to lose
or get not exactly what was described.

Falco

No Spam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am running Windows XP
>>
>> My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
>> Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
>> of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.
>>
>> There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes"
>> which they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how
>> do I renew using the licence code only.

> I would dump Norton immediately if you value your sanity and system
> performance.
>
> Uninstall it using this.
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
>
> Reboot your system.
>
> Use Avast!.

Think so? Have a look here

http://secunia.com/advisories/36858/

VanguardLH

Falco wrote:

> No Spam wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running Windows XP
>>>
>>> My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
>>> Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
>>> of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.
>>>
>>> There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes"
>>> which they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how
>>> do I renew using the licence code only.

>> I would dump Norton immediately if you value your sanity and system
>> performance.
>>
>> Uninstall it using this.
>>
>> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
>>
>> Reboot your system.
>>
>> Use Avast!.

> Think so? Have a look here
>
> http://secunia.com/advisories/36858/

I did read it. I saw:

Release Date: 2009-09-24
Last Update: 2009-09-29

Solution Status: Vendor Patch
The vulnerabilities are reported in versions prior to 4.8.1356.

Problem has already been addressed. However, you may have to manually
instigate a *program* update to Avast to get the patch to build 1356. I
don't know the algorithm that Avast uses to stagger the program updates
and the download on their servers.

PeeCee

"Alasdair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running Windows XP
>
> My Norton 360 is due to expire shortly. I don't want to renew through
> Norton themselves as they not only charge top dollar but they insist
> of a Continuous Credit Card Authority which is bad news.
>
> There are various people on Ebay selling Norton "Licence Codes" which
> they say are 100% legit. If I buy one of those, please, how do I
> renew using the licence code only.
>
> --
> Alasdair.

Alasdair

was a box to tick canceling the Continuous Credit Card Authority.
Personally I don't agree with any sort of continious authority given the
horror stories I've seen getting them canceled.
But at least they seem to be acknowledging sales resistance to such dubious
tactics.

You have to read / search for the tick box, but it is there.

Alternatively there are many 'free' Anti Virus products out there, including
the newly released Microsoft Security Essentials :
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/
Norton is the prime target for all the nasties out there.
Norton on many a PC across the bench here has vowed there is nothing wrong,
when in reality they are severely compromised.
By changing you are less likely to have your AV completely knocked out, and
you will get at least some sort of warning.

Best
Paul.