Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Best way to steal neighbor's wireless signal?

Best way to steal neighbor's wireless signal?

roger

have a wireless card in my laptop and picked up a pretty good signal
from someone's Linksys access point in my building.

I bought a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 Ethernet ports also )
thinking I can set it up as a repeater (for the stolen signal) and be
able to hook in other (wired) PC's in my apartment. The problem is, the

antenna is only a transmitter (as far as I can tell) and the router
expects an Internet connection to come from the dsl/cable port. Did I
get the wrong box? I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
this what I need?

Thanks
Rog

Doug Sherman [MVP]

You need to send this question to Benjamin Smith III. See:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/07/wi....ap/index.html

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> have a wireless card in my laptop and picked up a pretty good signal
> from someone's Linksys access point in my building.
>

> I bought a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 Ethernet ports also )
> thinking I can set it up as a repeater (for the stolen signal) and be
> able to hook in other (wired) PC's in my apartment. The problem is, the
>
> antenna is only a transmitter (as far as I can tell) and the router
> expects an Internet connection to come from the dsl/cable port. Did I
> get the wrong box? I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
> this what I need?
>

> Thanks
> Rog

nospam

I can't believe you are asking this you are a total *&^%$

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
roger <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> have a wireless card in my laptop and picked up a pretty good signal
>from someone's Linksys access point in my building.
>

>I bought a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 Ethernet ports also )
>thinking I can set it up as a repeater (for the stolen signal) and be
>able to hook in other (wired) PC's in my apartment. The problem is, the
>
>antenna is only a transmitter (as far as I can tell) and the router
>expects an Internet connection to come from the dsl/cable port. Did I
>get the wrong box? I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
>this what I need?
>

>Thanks
>Rog

Danny Sanders

I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
> this what I need?

Actually what you need is to purchase your own Internet connection and quit
stealing.

hth