Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Fingerprint Problem with a dell laptop

Fingerprint Problem with a dell laptop

ChronicBoy

Hi.

Before i strart i can't remember which dell laptop model number it
was. The only thing i know that's its windows vista home premium, But
here i Go

I accidentally disable the fingerprint technology without asking the
owner is he knew his password,
because he was using only the fingerprint technology, but now he can't
login to his normal account

My question is

What are my possibilities of fixing this problem

thank you in advance

Paul

ChronicBoy wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Before i strart i can't remember which dell laptop model number it
> was. The only thing i know that's its windows vista home premium, But
> here i Go
>
> I accidentally disable the fingerprint technology without asking the
> owner is he knew his password,
> because he was using only the fingerprint technology, but now he can't
> login to his normal account
>
> My question is
>
> What are my possibilities of fixing this problem
>
> thank you in advance

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Before using that, read the FAQ! It says access to EFS files
(encrypted) will be lost, if the password is reset. As long
as the owner is sure there is nothing encrypted with EFS,
then it may be relatively safe to fix it. Apparently, it is
also important to do a clean shutdown, just before attempting
to reset the password. (The login prompt probably has a
shutdown option somewhere.)

Any time I think I'm doing something potentially destructive, I
try to back up the disk first. I use "dd" to make a sector
by sector backup, to a drive big enough to hold the info.
For example, you could plug in a 1TB drive in a USB2 enclosure
to the laptop, and back up from there (max speed 30MB/sec).
Then, if you've damaged something while you're working, you can
put it all back.

(A Windows port of dd - be careful, you can erase disks by accident with this!)
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Paul