Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Why no internet/email?

Why no internet/email?

Bob Newman

I realize this is a long note but bear with me please.

Complicated problem, simple solution I hope.
I have two home computers, a laptop (XP) and a desktop (Vista). My internet
is with Cox cable. I have a Linksys wireless router. It is hooked up this
way. Cable wire to cable modem. Wire from modem to wireless router. Wire
from router to laptop. Everything on both computers had been working fine
for years, including disconnecting the wire form the laptop so I could use
it else where in the house. The last time I did this everything worked fine
when the wire was disconnected but when I hooked the laptop back up to it's
wire both computers lost their internet connection, or at least there is no
web or email access. I say it that way because both computers are saying
"Wireless Connection is now connected. Connect to linksys (unscured) signal
strenth excellent". I have noticed when I check the connection in Windows
on both computers, the desktop shows activity in the Packets Sent/Received
area while the laptop sent/received appears static. NOTE: If I connect the
wire from the cable modem directly to the laptop (bypassing the router) the
laptop gets internet access no problem (I assume that means the cable modem
is working fine).
I have tried a different router, no change. I've tried switching the wires
to/from the router with no change. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me
please.

Thanks in advance... Bob

Lem

Bob Newman wrote:
> I realize this is a long note but bear with me please.
>
> Complicated problem, simple solution I hope.
> I have two home computers, a laptop (XP) and a desktop (Vista). My internet
> is with Cox cable. I have a Linksys wireless router. It is hooked up this
> way. Cable wire to cable modem. Wire from modem to wireless router. Wire
> from router to laptop. Everything on both computers had been working fine
> for years, including disconnecting the wire form the laptop so I could use
> it else where in the house. The last time I did this everything worked fine
> when the wire was disconnected but when I hooked the laptop back up to it's
> wire both computers lost their internet connection, or at least there is no
> web or email access. I say it that way because both computers are saying
> "Wireless Connection is now connected. Connect to linksys (unscured) signal
> strenth excellent". I have noticed when I check the connection in Windows
> on both computers, the desktop shows activity in the Packets Sent/Received
> area while the laptop sent/received appears static. NOTE: If I connect the
> wire from the cable modem directly to the laptop (bypassing the router) the
> laptop gets internet access no problem (I assume that means the cable modem
> is working fine).
> I have tried a different router, no change. I've tried switching the wires
> to/from the router with no change. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me
> please.
>
> Thanks in advance... Bob

So ... since the last time things worked, what happened with respect to
your home's electrical system, your router, or your computers?

It sounds as if Cox is no longer recognizing the hardware address (MAC
address) of your router as authorized. Try turning the cable modem off
(pull its plug if necessary) for a minute or so. Also turn off your
router and your computers. Then turn things on in the following order,
waiting until the lights stop flashing to do the next step.
1. Cable modem
2. Router
3. Computer

If that doesn't work, you can try cloning the MAC address of the laptop
that worked in the router's setup section (see your router's manual for
directions), or call Cox and ask them to reset your connection.

You have an entirely separate -- and fairly serious -- issue with your
wireless network. Change your SSID from the default to something unique
but not your last name or address, change to WPA2-PSK (or WPA-PSK)
encryption, and implement a password to access the router's
configuration utility.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Bob Newman

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Bob Newman wrote:
>> I realize this is a long note but bear with me please.
>>
>> Complicated problem, simple solution I hope.
>> I have two home computers, a laptop (XP) and a desktop (Vista). My
>> internet is with Cox cable. I have a Linksys wireless router. It is
>> hooked up this way. Cable wire to cable modem. Wire from modem to
>> wireless router. Wire from router to laptop. Everything on both
>> computers had been working fine for years, including disconnecting the
>> wire form the laptop so I could use it else where in the house. The last
>> time I did this everything worked fine when the wire was disconnected but
>> when I hooked the laptop back up to it's wire both computers lost their
>> internet connection, or at least there is no web or email access. I say
>> it that way because both computers are saying "Wireless Connection is now
>> connected. Connect to linksys (unscured) signal strenth excellent". I
>> have noticed when I check the connection in Windows on both computers,
>> the desktop shows activity in the Packets Sent/Received area while the
>> laptop sent/received appears static. NOTE: If I connect the wire from
>> the cable modem directly to the laptop (bypassing the router) the laptop
>> gets internet access no problem (I assume that means the cable modem is
>> working fine).
>> I have tried a different router, no change. I've tried switching the
>> wires to/from the router with no change. I am at my wits end. Can
>> anyone help me please.
>>
>> Thanks in advance... Bob
>>

> So ... since the last time things worked, what happened with respect to
> your home's electrical system, your router, or your computers?
>
> It sounds as if Cox is no longer recognizing the hardware address (MAC
> address) of your router as authorized. Try turning the cable modem off
> (pull its plug if necessary) for a minute or so. Also turn off your
> router and your computers. Then turn things on in the following order,
> waiting until the lights stop flashing to do the next step.
> 1. Cable modem
> 2. Router
> 3. Computer
>
> If that doesn't work, you can try cloning the MAC address of the laptop
> that worked in the router's setup section (see your router's manual for
> directions), or call Cox and ask them to reset your connection.
>
> You have an entirely separate -- and fairly serious -- issue with your
> wireless network. Change your SSID from the default to something unique
> but not your last name or address, change to WPA2-PSK (or WPA-PSK)
> encryption, and implement a password to access the router's configuration
> utility.
>
> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

I love you.

Bob

Lem

Bob Newman wrote:
> [...]

>> address) of your router as authorized. Try turning the cable modem off
>> (pull its plug if necessary) for a minute or so. Also turn off your
>> router and your computers. Then turn things on in the following order,
>> waiting until the lights stop flashing to do the next step.
>> 1. Cable modem
>> 2. Router
>> 3. Computer
>>
>> If that doesn't work, you can try cloning the MAC address of the laptop
>> that worked in the router's setup section (see your router's manual for
>> directions), or call Cox and ask them to reset your connection.
>>
>> You have an entirely separate -- and fairly serious -- issue with your
>> wireless network. Change your SSID from the default to something unique
>> but not your last name or address, change to WPA2-PSK (or WPA-PSK)
>> encryption, and implement a password to access the router's configuration

I take it things are working now?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Bob Newman

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob Newman wrote:
>> "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So ... since the last time things worked, what happened with respect to
>>> your home's electrical system, your router, or your computers?
>>>
>>> It sounds as if Cox is no longer recognizing the hardware address (MAC
>>> address) of your router as authorized. Try turning the cable modem off
>>> (pull its plug if necessary) for a minute or so. Also turn off your
>>> router and your computers. Then turn things on in the following order,
>>> waiting until the lights stop flashing to do the next step.
>>> 1. Cable modem
>>> 2. Router
>>> 3. Computer
>>>
>>> If that doesn't work, you can try cloning the MAC address of the laptop
>>> that worked in the router's setup section (see your router's manual for
>>> directions), or call Cox and ask them to reset your connection.
>>>
>>> You have an entirely separate -- and fairly serious -- issue with your
>>> wireless network. Change your SSID from the default to something unique
>>> but not your last name or address, change to WPA2-PSK (or WPA-PSK)
>>> encryption, and implement a password to access the router's
>>> configuration utility.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lem
>>>
>>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: