Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Trying to figure out power problem: Overheating Power adaptor

Trying to figure out power problem: Overheating Power adaptor

Jason

Hi folks.

My laptop charger is overheating and the battery is not charging.

The charger is getting so hot its hard to pick it up, so anyidea is it
because it's trying to charge the battery that it is overheating or is
the charger on the way out

Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
would cure the charger overheating

Cheers in advanced folks

hwf

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:54:56 -0700, Jason pinched out a steaming pile of:

> Hi folks.
>
> My laptop charger is overheating and the battery is not charging.
>
> The charger is getting so hot its hard to pick it up, so anyidea is it
> because it's trying to charge the battery that it is overheating or is
> the charger on the way out
>
> Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
> would cure the charger overheating
>

> Cheers in advanced folks

Get a fan and a heat sink for it.
Other Option: contract with local dry ice company.

HTH
http://ltsaloon.org
http://www.ramusa.org/
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

Whiskers

On 2009-10-04, Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> My laptop charger is overheating and the battery is not charging.
>
> The charger is getting so hot its hard to pick it up, so anyidea is it
> because it's trying to charge the battery that it is overheating or is
> the charger on the way out
>
> Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
> would cure the charger overheating
>

> Cheers in advanced folks

What happens if you remove the battery from the laptop before connecting
the power brick?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

PeeCee

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks.
>
> My laptop charger is overheating and the battery is not charging.
>
> The charger is getting so hot its hard to pick it up, so anyidea is it
> because it's trying to charge the battery that it is overheating or is
> the charger on the way out
>
> Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
> would cure the charger overheating

snip

If the battery is past it, then it is likely the cause of the adapter
overheating.

As Whiskers says, try running the Laptop without the battery.
Does the Laptop work normally?
If the answer is yes then the battery is the most likely culprit.

OTOH if the Laptop will not run on the adapter only or if the adapter gets
hot when plugged into the mains but not into the Laptop, then have the
adapter checked.
The adapter should be able to provide the current at the voltage listed on
the name plate/sticker.

Paul

Jason

Ran it without the battery last night and charger remained relativly
cool. So looks like trying to charge battery and run machine is making
it go hot.

Cheers for the replies. A nice little 85 for a new battery ouch