Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Passed 72-290

Passed 72-290

Pard@discussions.microsoft.com

I have just passed 72-290 and i am now doing 70-291, I have got COMPTIA A+
and N+, i heard there are exemptions i can get on MCSA/MCSE what's the best
way forward

Paul Jones

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:21:01 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed) .com> wrote:

>what's the best way forward

Straight ahead.

Pard@discussions.microsoft.com

what i mean is what exemptions can i get and how do i apply for them.

"Paul Jones" wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:21:01 -0700, (E-Mail Removed)
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com> wrote:
>
> >what's the best way forward

> Straight ahead.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed) .com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> what i mean is what exemptions can i get and how do i apply for them.

There are no exemptions.

Certain CompTIA certifications can be used to fulfill the requirements of
the Elective Exam for the MCSA/MCSE certifications.

To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need to
ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Paul Jones

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:14:26 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need to
>ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
>https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
and MCSA. The Security+ is needed for MCSE (or MCSA:Security).

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Paul Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:14:26 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need
>>ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
>>https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

> No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
> He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
> and MCSA.

Hmm.. then somebody probably needs to tell Microsoft Learning to remove the
entry from the MSCE requirements page:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...mcse.aspx#tab2

Since the requirements page does not explicitly list the certifications
which are currently accepted, I presume you have an alternate published
location for which you can provide a reference link.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Paul Jones

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:56:30 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paul Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:14:26 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need
>>>ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
>>>https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

>> No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
>> He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
>> and MCSA.

>Hmm.. then somebody probably needs to tell Microsoft Learning to remove the
>entry from the MSCE requirements page:
>http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...mcse.aspx#tab2
>
>Since the requirements page does not explicitly list the certifications
>which are currently accepted, I presume you have an alternate published
>location for which you can provide a reference link.

Well when I search Microsoft.com for:
comptia mcse mcsa partners

I do find one link in Australia that has the original requirement pages.
I know they (Ozzies) are a bit backward (or is that upside down) but I
am sure MS is the same there as anywhere:

Here is one result (second on page):

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/l.../partners.mspx

Now this information did use to be able to find on the MS site but since
MS decided they don't like the MCSA and MCSE anymore it is now near
impossible to find.

Matrixx333

On Oct 5, 10:39*am, Paul Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:56:30 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Paul Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
> >> He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
> >> and MCSA.

> >Hmm.. then somebody probably needs to tell Microsoft Learning to remove the
> >entry from the MSCE requirements page:
> >http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...mcse.aspx#tab2

> >Since the requirements page does not explicitly list the certifications
> >which are currently accepted, I presume you have an alternate published
> >location for which you can provide a reference link.

> Well when I search Microsoft.com for:
> comptia mcse mcsa partners
>
> I do find one link in Australia that has the original requirement pages.
> I know they (Ozzies) are a bit backward (or is that upside down) but I
> am sure MS is the same there as anywhere:
>
> Here is one result (second on page):
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/australia/l.../partners.mspx
>
> Now this information did use to be able to find on the MS site but since
> MS decided they don't like the MCSA and MCSE anymore it is now near
> impossible to find.

Just to throw my two cents in, I was also provided the same
information that Paul Jones is providing in my New Horizons class. The
instructor stated that A+ and Net+ can be used to fill the elective
requirements of the MCSA portion, but they could not be "reused" to
apply to the MCSE. He stated that I would be required to take the Sec+
for the MCSE if I wanted to use it as an alternate elective.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Matrixx333" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Just to throw my two cents in, I was also provided the same
> information that Paul Jones is providing in my New Horizons class. The
> instructor stated that A+ and Net+ can be used to fill the elective
> requirements of the MCSA portion, but they could not be "reused" to
> apply to the MCSE. He stated that I would be required to take the Sec+
> for the MCSE if I wanted to use it as an alternate elective.

That doesn't seem to make sense. There are several exams that are listed as
electives for both the MCSA and the MCSE, and they all can be "reused". In
fact, I believe that the only thing you have to do to "upgrade" an MCSA
(Win2003) to an MCSE (Win2003) is take the two extra core exams (70-293,
70-294), and one of the two design exams (70-297 or 70-29.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Paul Jones

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:37:58 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Matrixx333" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Just to throw my two cents in, I was also provided the same
>> information that Paul Jones is providing in my New Horizons class. The
>> instructor stated that A+ and Net+ can be used to fill the elective
>> requirements of the MCSA portion, but they could not be "reused" to
>> apply to the MCSE. He stated that I would be required to take the Sec+
>> for the MCSE if I wanted to use it as an alternate elective.

>That doesn't seem to make sense. There are several exams that are listed as
>electives for both the MCSA and the MCSE, and they all can be "reused". In
>fact, I believe that the only thing you have to do to "upgrade" an MCSA
>(Win2003) to an MCSE (Win2003) is take the two extra core exams (70-293,
>70-294), and one of the two design exams (70-297 or 70-29.

Makes sense or not. You CANNOT use any CompTIA credential but Security+
as an elective for an MCSE.
This has always been the case.
The page that is on the Australian site is exactly the same one as used
to be on the main US site.
Do you think it is different just for an Australian MCSE? Of course not!