Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: How fast should CPU cool down?

Re: How fast should CPU cool down?

hwf

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 06:49:12 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:

> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 03-Oct-09 21:23 ...
>> I've been dealing with a screaming loud CPU fan on my Intel P4 3.2Ghz heat
>> sink/cooling fan. I've noticed the past couple of nights, that once it gets
>> annoyingly loud, if I open the case by taking one side off, and not even
>> completely off, just crack it a few inches, the fan almost immediately starts to
>> slow down to a tolerable decible level. So I have to wonder how fast the CPU
>> cools off once the outside air is allowed into the case.

> it probably isn't the CPU that's cooling, it's more likely a thermistor
> that senses a temperature change when you open the case. and if that is
> true, you should look for possible airflow obstruction to the heat sink.
>
>>In fact, as I was
>> typing this, I just removed the case side away from the case altogether and the
>> fan immediately slowed down some more. How sensitive are these things? My case
>> has one 60mm fan in the rear, about two inches from the CPU fan, blowing out.
>> There may be a fan in the front of the case, but the way it's built, with a
>> lighted digital panel which displays time and temperature on the front of the
>> case, I really can't see if there's a fan there or not. With no other spots I
>> can put a fan in the case, what can I do to lower the noise the CPU fan is
>> making? Thanks.

> buy a new one -- the fan bearing is shot.

Because a new fan is cheaper than a drop of machine oil, sure.

OPey should install "SpeedFan" proggy so he can tweak his fan...among
other things I'm sure!

^_^

http://ltsaloon.org
http://www.ramusa.org/
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

hwf

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 05:29:23 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:

> §ñühwø£f wrote on 04-Oct-09 08:08 ...
>> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 06:49:12 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:
>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 03-Oct-09 21:23 ...
>>> it probably isn't the CPU that's cooling, it's more likely a thermistor
>>> that senses a temperature change when you open the case. and if that is
>>> true, you should look for possible airflow obstruction to the heat sink.

>>> buy a new one -- the fan bearing is shot.

>> Because a new fan is cheaper than a drop of machine oil, sure.

> Yeah, and then the bearing dries-out again in a few weeks. Not saying
> the OP can't try that, but it's hardly worth the bother.

If it solves the problem then a dab of grease is in order.

http://ltsaloon.org
http://www.ramusa.org/
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

hwf

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:28:54 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:

> §ñühwø£f wrote on 05-Oct-09 07:27 ...
>> On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 05:29:23 -0700, Anyone pinched out a steaming pile of:
>>
>>> §ñühwø£f wrote on 04-Oct-09 08:08 ...

>>> Yeah, and then the bearing dries-out again in a few weeks. Not saying
>>> the OP can't try that, but it's hardly worth the bother.
>>>

>> If it solves the problem then a dab of grease is in order.

> pffft... find the 'O' switch, change its state from "n" to "ff'.

No.

^_^