Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Critique for PTA site

Critique for PTA site

Adrienne Boswell

I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school, and
need some feedback from the community. The url is
[http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].

All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When responding,
especially with a bug, please indicate browser and operating system.

Thanks in advance.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school,
> and need some feedback from the community. The url is
> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>
> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When
> responding, especially with a bug, please indicate browser and
> operating system.

I don't care much for the purple background.

Is the contact page supposed to be there? All links seem to work except
that, and the site map. No stubs yet? [ http://error.000webhost.com/ ]

Also, I don't have "hobo bt" font.

--
-bts

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-10-04, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school, and
> need some feedback from the community. The url is
> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>
> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When responding,
> especially with a bug, please indicate browser and operating system.

Looks good, but it's missing a background colour.

Author:

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:ha8vch$olh$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>
>> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school,
>> and need some feedback from the community. The url is
>> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>>
>> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When
>> responding, especially with a bug, please indicate browser and
>> operating system.

> I don't care much for the purple background.

It's actually navy - it's the school colors, not my choice, really.

> Is the contact page supposed to be there? All links seem to work

except
> that, and the site map. No stubs yet? [ http://error.000webhost.com/

]

It's a footer that I've copied over from other footers. I'll be fixing
those when I actually get the pages done.

> Also, I don't have "hobo bt" font.

If you are using a browser that understands @font-face, you should have
seen the hobo bt font, if not, you should have seen another san-serif
font.

Thank you for the review. Helps a lot.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Chris F.A. Johnson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 2009-10-04, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school,
>> and need some feedback from the community. The url is
>> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>>
>> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When
>> responding, especially with a bug, please indicate browser and
>> operating system.

> Looks good, but it's missing a background colour.

Thank you, and thank you for mentioning the background colour. That's been
fixed.

--

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Chris F.A. Johnson"
>> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>>> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school,
>>> and need some feedback from the community. The url is
>>> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>>>
>>> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When
>>> responding, especially with a bug, please indicate browser and
>>> operating system.

>> Looks good, but it's missing a background colour.

> Thank you, and thank you for mentioning the background colour.
> That's been fixed.

That's what I meant. My default background is a light purple .. for
situations just like this.

> [and] If you are using a browser that understands @font-face, you should
> have seen the hobo bt font, if not, you should have seen another
> san-serif font.

Firefox 3.0.14, Opera 9.64, Ubuntu 8.04, GNOME. No hoboes.

--
-bts

dorayme

In article <Xns9C99B879F7C0Farbpenyahoocom@188.40.43.213>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school, and
> need some feedback from the community. The url is
> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>
> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When responding,
> especially with a bug, please indicate browser and operating system.

Hi Adrienne, just a couple of remarks. First, nice, as to be expected.

* I like the yellow with the dark blue. And plus, it is useful to
co-ordinate with the needed dark bg of the nav links and white/yellow
text on these and the right sidebar.

* I would lose the borders on the sidebar. First it looks better
without, Second, you are already fighting for width space (horiz bars
loom early for users with thin browsers and you are guarding against
early float drop.)

* Suggest in the fight against width, instead of 1em all around,
#content {padding: .5em 0 .5em .5em; ...}. You already have white buffer
to left of the container element without any padding (put a thin border
on container to see)

* Suggest to add #header address { ... padding-left: .5em; ...}

And now some other ideas, fancy things maybe, but if they work, would
make it look sort of neater without the yellow hanging at a different
height to the blue.

If you can be reasonably confident of the nav left not being so full of
content that it would push the yellow below the content:

One more wrapper! And a very few additions to CSS.

CSS:

#bigWrap {overflow: hidden; background: #ffd700; ...}
#container {background: #fff; ...}
#content {padding: .5em 0 .5em .5em;...}
and
take border off nav

You likely don't need a min-height on nav now...

Enough for now maybe.

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9C99B879F7C0Farbpenyahoocom@188.40.43.213>,
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school,
>> and need some feedback from the community. The url is
>> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>>
>> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. When
>> responding, especially with a bug, please indicate browser and
>> operating system.
>>

> Hi Adrienne, just a couple of remarks. First, nice, as to be expected.
>
> * I like the yellow with the dark blue. And plus, it is useful to
> co-ordinate with the needed dark bg of the nav links and white/yellow
> text on these and the right sidebar.
>
> * I would lose the borders on the sidebar. First it looks better
> without, Second, you are already fighting for width space (horiz bars
> loom early for users with thin browsers and you are guarding against
> early float drop.)
>
> * Suggest in the fight against width, instead of 1em all around,
> #content {padding: .5em 0 .5em .5em; ...}. You already have white
> buffer to left of the container element without any padding (put a
> thin border on container to see)
>
> * Suggest to add #header address { ... padding-left: .5em; ...}
>
> And now some other ideas, fancy things maybe, but if they work, would
> make it look sort of neater without the yellow hanging at a different
> height to the blue.
>
> If you can be reasonably confident of the nav left not being so full
> of content that it would push the yellow below the content:
>
> One more wrapper! And a very few additions to CSS.

> CSS:
>
> #bigWrap {overflow: hidden; background: #ffd700; ...}
> #container {background: #fff; ...}
> #content {padding: .5em 0 .5em .5em;...}
> and
> take border off nav
>
> You likely don't need a min-height on nav now...
>
> Enough for now maybe.

Thank you, I'm going to work on your suggestions tomorrow. I'll be back
with revisions.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

GTalbot

[followup-to set to alt.html]

On 3 oct, 21:08, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I volunteerd to do the PTA web site for my son's elementary school, and
> need some feedback from the community. *The url is
> [http://jmpta.adrienneboswell.com].
>
> All suggestions, comments, bug reports are most welcome. *When responding,
> especially with a bug, please indicate browser and operating system.

Hi!

1-
I would remove this:
<link rel="home" href="index.php" title="Index Page" />
J. Nielsen and others (V. Flanders) recommend to avoid self-linking
webpages.

2- I am personally against double color contrast sets. I think it
should always be dark color (say, black) on light background color
(say white) all over since we have been day animals for the last
200,000 years. Color contrast, color brightness is very important but
having 2 sets of color contrasts in a webpage is, IMO, unnatural,
visually confusing and visually incoherent.

3- PTA: by chance, I glanced at the title element and there I saw what
PTA actually means... for the first time. I wonder why the most
important text (PTA) is not defined in its extended form in the
entrance webpage: Parent Teacher Association.

4- When I resize browser window viewport (at around 850px) in Firefox
3.5.3 under Windows, then the sidebar goes under. I'm not saying here
that this is a bug or anything. I just noticed this.

5-
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Personally, I am more and more following the W3C recommendation on
favicon and trying to have Microsoft comply with it (and to drop
rel="shortcut icon"). See

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSe...SIE8Bugs/#bug2

and

W3C Quality Assurance tip, How to Add a Favicon to your Site
http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

6- Your validation buttons are perfect IMO.

7-
body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

Personally, I am against resetting CSS default values, especially when
modern browsers (IE 8, Firefox 2+, Opera 9+, Safari 4, Konqueror 4)
all share the same browser defaults. Body has no padding in modern
browsers except in Opera 6. All browsers use a margin of 8px
(equivalent to 0.5em) and that's best, ideal IMO.

8-
label {
display: block;
width: 7em;
text-align: right;
float: left;
margin: .25em 1em 0 0;
}

I wonder why you need to set display: block if the label is going to
be floated left. Also, that rule seems a bit complex...

[followup-to set to alt.html]

regards, Gérard
--
Internet Explorer 8 bugs: 57 bugs so far
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:ha97lo$ck7$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Chris F.A. Johnson"

>>> Looks good, but it's missing a background colour.

>> Thank you, and thank you for mentioning the background colour.
>> That's been fixed.

> That's what I meant. My default background is a light purple ..

for
> situations just like this.
>
>> [and] If you are using a browser that understands @font-face, you

should
>> have seen the hobo bt font, if not, you should have seen another
>> san-serif font.

> Firefox 3.0.14, Opera 9.64, Ubuntu 8.04, GNOME. No hoboes.

How odd! The Hobo BT font is used for the mustang PTA lettering, just
so you know.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Site Critique Weyoun the Dancing Borg HTML 8 01-27-2004 03:01 AM
critique template for site murmur HTML 5 10-24-2003 10:14 AM
New site, looking for critique on loading time Tina - AffordableHOST.com HTML 17 10-24-2003 09:28 AM
site critique murmur HTML 6 10-22-2003 04:14 PM
edgesoft.ca site critique please Long HTML 5 10-21-2003 09:18 PM

Advertisments