Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dual Booting Windows 7

Dual Booting Windows 7

victor

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> "Carnations" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:12:49 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> A drive letter has always been the label for a drive. In DOS you could
>>> switch the labels between the first floppy and the second floppy with a
>>> command or associate the drive letter B: with the single floppy drive,
>>> always labelled A:.

>> Microsoft nicked the practice of using drive letters out of CP/M! That
>> wasn't a Microsoft innovation.
>> Actually, neither was MS-DOS (CP/M via Q-DOS), and neither was WinNT
>> (VMS)

> Neither are most other popular OSes made by anyone you zealot. Linux,
> Minix? The GNU tools, Unix? All graphical OSes, Xerox Alto?
>
> Not that this is a bad thing. "If I have seen further it is only by
> standing on the shoulders of giants" and all that?
>
> Oh, but if it's Microsoft they're "stealing". Wipe the foam off your
> mouth and calm down why don't you.

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that
you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."

Socrates

Carnations

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:15:31 +1300, victor wrote:

> "Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that
> you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."

Victor, the following is an updated paraphrase more closely aligned with Microsoft's business practises.

"Where possible nick the source code of other developers' products, where not possible just duplicate
the available features and extend them in order to make the original application unable to work with
your one; and then use your patents to sue the bastards out of existence if they don't hold any patents
that could be used against you."