Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista and wireless.

Vista and wireless.

Mark - Australia

Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
wireless network.

I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
routers/access points. Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.

When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
visible in the Connect to a network screen. However as soon as I go to
connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
name).

If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any wireless
networks in range of this computer.

Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware on
the router.

All with nill result.

Everything works fine under XP though.

I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.

Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid Apple.

Thanks

Mark

Jack-MVP

Hi
You have to start with No security, No Filters, and SSID On.
This page was writtem for XP the location of thr menus in Vista are
different but the priciple is he same.
Give it a try, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
> wireless network.
>
> I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
> routers/access points. Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
> wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.
>
> When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
> visible in the Connect to a network screen. However as soon as I go to
> connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
> name).
>
> If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any
> wireless
> networks in range of this computer.
>
> Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
> blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware
> on
> the router.
>
> All with nill result.
>
> Everything works fine under XP though.
>
> I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid
> Apple.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Mark - Australia

Yeah as per my post I have tried starting with no security, SSID broadcast on
and off, I have tried IMHO everything.

But thanks for the response.

Mark

"Jack-MVP" wrote:

> Hi
> You have to start with No security, No Filters, and SSID On.
> This page was writtem for XP the location of thr menus in Vista are
> different but the priciple is he same.
> Give it a try, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
> > wireless network.
> >
> > I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
> > routers/access points. Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
> > wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.
> >
> > When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
> > visible in the Connect to a network screen. However as soon as I go to
> > connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
> > name).
> >
> > If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any
> > wireless
> > networks in range of this computer.
> >
> > Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
> > blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware
> > on
> > the router.
> >
> > All with nill result.
> >
> > Everything works fine under XP though.
> >
> > I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid
> > Apple.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mark

Pavel A.

Look for firmware updates for your routers.
Vista is known to uproot some troubles that were not known with XP.
Also, make sure you have at least SP1 (better SP2) - it may help as well.
--pa

"Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
> wireless network.
>
> I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
> routers/access points. Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
> wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.
>
> When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
> visible in the Connect to a network screen. However as soon as I go to
> connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
> name).
>
> If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any
> wireless
> networks in range of this computer.
>
> Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
> blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware
> on
> the router.
>
> All with nill result.
>
> Everything works fine under XP though.
>
> I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid
> Apple.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Mark - Australia

Vista is fully up to date, and router firmware is the latest version. Vista
is on SP2.

Honestly I dont think there is a simple fix for this, at least Win 7 is out
soon, hopefully thats will play better with my network.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Mark

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Look for firmware updates for your routers.
> Vista is known to uproot some troubles that were not known with XP.
> Also, make sure you have at least SP1 (better SP2) - it may help as well.
> --pa
>

> "Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
> > wireless network.
> >
> > I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
> > routers/access points. Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
> > wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.
> >
> > When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
> > visible in the Connect to a network screen. However as soon as I go to
> > connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
> > name).
> >
> > If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any
> > wireless
> > networks in range of this computer.
> >
> > Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
> > blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware
> > on
> > the router.
> >
> > All with nill result.
> >
> > Everything works fine under XP though.
> >
> > I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid
> > Apple.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mark

smlunatick

On Oct 4, 11:14*pm, Mark - Australia
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Vista is fully up to date, and router firmware is the latest version. *Vista
> is on SP2.
>
> Honestly I dont think there is a simple fix for this, at least Win 7 is out
> soon, hopefully thats will play better with my network.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions guys.
>
> Mark
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
> > Look for firmware *updates for your routers.
> > Vista is known to uproot some troubles that were not known with XP.
> > Also, make sure you have at least SP1 (better SP2) - it may help as well.
> > --pa

> > "Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi there, I am having all sorts of problems trying to connect vista to my
> > > wireless network.

> > > I am using a Netgear DG834G (also have tried a TP-Link TL-WR841ND) as my
> > > routers/access points. *Have tried OPENNW USB wireless dongle, Netgear
> > > wireless NIC and OPENNW wireless NIC, all with the same result.

> > > When I try to connect from Vista (home premium 32 bit) the connection is
> > > visible in the Connect to a network screen. *However as soon as I go to
> > > connect Vista will say "Can not connect to wireless" (this is not my SSID
> > > name).

> > > If I try to diagnose the problem Windows will say can not find any
> > > wireless
> > > networks in range of this computer.

> > > Now I have tried broadcasting the SSID, security on or off, no mac address
> > > blocking, multiple chanels on the router, latest drivers, latest firmware
> > > on
> > > the router.

> > > All with nill result.

> > > Everything works fine under XP though.

> > > I have ensured the zero config service is running as well.

> > > Anyone have any suggestions, besides rolling back to XP or god forbid
> > > Apple.

> > > Thanks

> > > Mark

What type of Internet access security software / anti-virus software
are you using? I have seen this style of problem when using Norton
360 / Internet Security softwares. The "included" firewall module
must be told to trust the LAN gateway IP address and the wireless
network SSID. If the software is not told to trust the SSID, the
software can ignore it and not display it in the list of "available"
networks.

Mark - Australia

Thanks for the reply, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, and Vista
Firewall, I have tried turning off the windows firewall though, this didnt
change anything.

Security Essentials is pretty basic I dont think it has any settings to stop
the wireless network.

Thanks!!

"smlunatick" wrote:

> On Oct 4, 11:14 pm, Mark - Australia
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Vista is fully up to date, and router firmware is the latest version. Vista
> > is on SP2.
> >
> > Honestly I dont think there is a simple fix for this, at least Win 7 is out
> > soon, hopefully thats will play better with my network.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestions guys.
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > "Pavel A." wrote:
> > > Look for firmware updates for your routers.
> > > Vista is known to uproot some troubles that were not known with XP.
> > > Also, make sure you have at least SP1 (better SP2) - it may help as well.
> > > --pa

> > > "Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > > messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What type of Internet access security software / anti-virus software
> are you using? I have seen this style of problem when using Norton
> 360 / Internet Security softwares. The "included" firewall module
> must be told to trust the LAN gateway IP address and the wireless
> network SSID. If the software is not told to trust the SSID, the
> software can ignore it and not display it in the list of "available"
> networks.

Gordon

"Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, and Vista
> Firewall, I have tried turning off the windows firewall though, this didnt
> change anything.
>
> Security Essentials is pretty basic I dont think it has any settings to
> stop
> the wireless network.

There have been many comments I've seen in various places that Vista "just
does this" - I certainly had the problem and found no cure at all.
Windows 7 on the other hand seems to have fixed this "feature"....

Mark - Australia

Yes Gordan I agree, I guess you could say the networking in vista is more
secure, so secure you cant even connect to it.

Ahh well Windows 7 in a couple of weeks

Mark

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Mark - Australia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for the reply, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, and Vista
> > Firewall, I have tried turning off the windows firewall though, this didnt
> > change anything.
> >
> > Security Essentials is pretty basic I dont think it has any settings to
> > stop
> > the wireless network.
> >

> There have been many comments I've seen in various places that Vista "just
> does this" - I certainly had the problem and found no cure at all.
> Windows 7 on the other hand seems to have fixed this "feature"....

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
While I do not have experience with your specific Wireless hardware I came
few times across this issue.
In all cases that I came across the same occurred with Win XP, Vista, and
Win 7.
The only solution that I found was to use other Wireless hardware.
Unfortunately when it comes to Entry Level Wireless hardware the
manufactures take the liberty Not the adhere totally to the standards,
resulting in such issues.
The best way to over come it is to use paired hardware of the same
manufacturer, or some thing with a similar chipset.