Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Time Server

NZ Time Server

thingy

On Oct 3, 11:25*am, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
> automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
>
> I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
> daylight saving protocol.
>
> I'm using DS Clock: details at
>
> http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

A time server gives accurate time....its not there for you but the
underlying OSes and for servers...your desktop should do that
compensation...

regards

Thing

thingy

On Oct 3, 11:38*am, Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:30:30 +1300
>

> Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
> > "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
> > from the highest rooftop:

> > >Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
> > >automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.

> > >I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
> > >daylight saving protocol.

> > >I'm using DS Clock: details at

> > >http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

> > Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted to
> > NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I cannot get
> > my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising time using
> > time-a.nist.gov .

> > I'll be watching this space.

> Hi
> I thought windows needs a 'time' server, not a 'ntp' server for its
> synchronizing?

time = ntp.

Windows syncs against AD if there is one...the AD should sync against
a NTP server, either on site or one of the 4 in NZ, if you dont run
your own.

regards

Thing

thingy

On Oct 3, 12:41*pm, "J Brockley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> messagenews:e6vcc5db88b83ot5ocun4tkr7ma62snpci@4ax .com...
>
> > Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
> > automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.

> > I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
> > daylight saving protocol.

> > I'm using DS Clock: details at

> >http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

> Don't all these just send out a correct time based on GMT and its up to the
> client to apply the offset?

Yes.

regards

Thing

Donchano

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:52:48 +1300, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>I'm running XPpro SP3. As I mentioned earlier, my system clock made
>the switch to DST automatically. I'd already downloaded and installed
>the first MS update patch followed the second last year. The problem
>is with WorldClock and the time it displays in my title bars, which is
>an hour earlier than it should be.

Just rebooted due to the installation of new software totally
unrelated to WorldClock WC is now showing the correct DST. Why now?
I'll probably never know. But it is and that's good enough for me.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Stephen Worthington

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:18:06 -0700 (PDT), thingy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Oct 3, 11:38*am, Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:30:30 +1300
>>

>> Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
>> > "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>> > from the highest rooftop:

>> > Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted to
>> > NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I cannot get
>> > my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising time using
>> > time-a.nist.gov .

>> > I'll be watching this space.

>> Hi
>> I thought windows needs a 'time' server, not a 'ntp' server for its
>> synchronizing?

>time = ntp.
>
>Windows syncs against AD if there is one...the AD should sync against
>a NTP server, either on site or one of the 4 in NZ, if you dont run
>your own.
>
>regards
>
>Thing

time != ntp. There are multiple different Internet time protocols,
although ntp is the one that is used mostly now. "time" protocol is
port 37. "ntp" protocol is port 123. "daytime" protocol is port 13.
There could well be another one or two I do not know about.

Enkidu

thingy wrote:
> On Oct 3, 11:38 am, Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:30:30 +1300
>>

>> Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:25:47 +1200,
>>> "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>>> from the highest rooftop:
>>> Excellent question. My MS system clock has automatically adjusted to
>>> NZ daylight savings time (I downloaded the MS patch), but I cannot get
>>> my World Clock to reflect this despite synchronising time using
>>> time-a.nist.gov .
>>> I'll be watching this space.

>> Hi
>> I thought windows needs a 'time' server, not a 'ntp' server for its
>> synchronizing?

> time = ntp.

No, 'time' is NOT equal to 'NTP'. The Windows time protocol as used
within an AD domain is different to NTP and while Windows AD will sync
to an NTP server there are issues. The Windows time protocol is
technically SNTP - simple NTP. It has a tolerance of above 20seconds!

Also Windows does not directly support NTP. Windows 2000 Server will not
sync with a Windows time server despite what you may read. I spent ages
(several months) trying to get the freaking Windows time service to play
nicely with NTP and it just won't. Final solution was to let Windows
2000 server synch with its known Windows time servers (it has an inbuilt
list of them which can be changed if you really have to). And let
Linux servers sync with NTP servers from the pool.

> Windows syncs against AD if there is one...the AD should sync against
> a NTP server, either on site or one of the 4 in NZ, if you dont run
> your own.

With Windows 2000 server NTP was not supported. With Windows 2003 server
NTP was only partially supported and had to be configured with the
registry editor :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

Maybe AD in Windows 2008 server supports it. It would be about time.
(Pun not intended).

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I D/L and applied Windows Daylight Savngs Fix and updated my
> version of DSClock.
>
> I now feel I'm with it!

That's the way!

--
Duncan.

AD.

On Oct 4, 12:22*pm, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just rebooted due to the installation of new software totally
> unrelated to WorldClock WC is now showing the correct DST. Why now?
> I'll probably never know. But it is and that's good enough for me.

Maybe Worldclock (like NTP does) only gradually skews the time on a
running system little by little until it matches - that way log
entries are always in the correct order with realistic gaps between
them etc. And maybe Worldclock also thinks that a reboot is a safe
time to jump forwards one hour - after all that is just like leaving
the computer off for an hour as far as the OS was concerned.

I dunno - just a possible explanation.

--
Cheers
Anton

Gunnar Gren

Den 2009-10-03 skrev Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
> automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
>
> I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
> daylight saving protocol.

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...OneTimeServers
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...TwoTimeServers

Gunnar Gren

Den 2009-10-03 skrev Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers>:
> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 12:41:15 +1300, "J Brockley"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can someone give me an ntp address for a loal server that is
>>> automatically adjusted for NZ daylight saving.
>>>
>>> I've tried msltime.irl.cri.nz but it does not appear to follow the
>>> daylight saving protocol.
>>>
>>> I'm using DS Clock: details at
>>>
>>> http://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/?about?version=2.2r

>>Don't all these just send out a correct time based on GMT and its up to the
>>client to apply the offset?

> GMT is history - it is no longer an available time standard. The time
> standard is UTC. GMT was retired many years ago now.

Yes, but GMT=UTC