Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > WiFi Skype phone recommendation

WiFi Skype phone recommendation

Brian Reay

I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
make and receive Skype calls without a PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

--
Brian

Graham.

"Brian Reay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bbqxm.121462$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
> make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't
be limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

If you are keen to embark on a small VoIP project , there are ways you
can extend this to call landlines and mobiles at VoIP rates, I have put
some notes here www.skypegateway.webs.com

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Brian Reay

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ha5dhq$6b5$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Brian Reay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bbqxm.121462$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
>> make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

> Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
> getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
> Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't
> be limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

Sadly, we don't have "3" coverage (or most other mobiles) but, otherwise, a
good idea.

I've an E71 on 3 with free Skype and it won't work here on the 3 network
and, of course, the Skype on the E71 doesn't work on WiFi. I can't get Gizmo
to work.

--
Brian

abs@hgvu.com

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:50:13 +0100, "Brian Reay" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
>make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
line once the contact comes to an end in January .

Graham.

>>I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
>>make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>>
>>Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

> I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
> added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
> line once the contact comes to an end in January .

Ouch! 40.25 per year for the number and
14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.

Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
mobiles can be had for 5p/min.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Steve Terry

"Brian Reay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bbqxm.121462$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
> make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?
> Brian

Try echolink instead

Steve Terry

Graham.

"Steve Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ha6kbb$5h1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brian Reay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bbqxm.121462$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
>> make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?
>> Brian
>>

> Try echolink instead

Kewarzed?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

abs@hgvu.com

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 00:32:23 +0100, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
>>>make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

>> I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
>> added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
>> line once the contact comes to an end in January .

>Ouch! 40.25 per year for the number and
>14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.

I am sorry Graham but what is 40 a year in this age of high prices
many people will spend more than that in pubs and clubs over this
weekend and every other weekend.
>Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
>use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
>mobiles can be had for 5p/min.

If I have need to call a mobile I use the free minutes on the mobile I
refuse and have refused for many years now to call any numbers other
than geographical numbers via land line.Saynoto0870.com must have
saved me pounds over the last few years.
Sipgate no thanks but I do have a Betamax account voipcheap.com had it
for quite a few years now.

brian

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 19:10:21 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ha5dhq$6b5$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>

>> "Brian Reay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bbqxm.121462$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network
>>> to make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

>> Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
>> getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
>> Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't be
>> limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

> Sadly, we don't have "3" coverage (or most other mobiles) but,
> otherwise, a good idea.
>
> I've an E71 on 3 with free Skype and it won't work here on the 3 network
> and, of course, the Skype on the E71 doesn't work on WiFi. I can't get
> Gizmo to work.

Perhaps you could try some different settings in order to get Gizmo, or
another SIP provider, working on your phone. I posted some setting for
the N95 that might be useful for you.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...ip-on-nokia-n-
series.html

brian

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 05:35:50 +0100, Steve Terry wrote:

> "Brian Reay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bbqxm.121462$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network
>> to make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations, please? Brian
>>

> Try echolink instead
>
> Steve Terry

Hmmm interesting Terry, I didn't know about this. I've been off the air
for years now and got rid of most of my gear, but this sounds interesting
except that it operates on Windows and I don't have that. Pity we still
aren't allowed to speak to non-licenced people too.

looking for a wifi sip voip phone recommendation please hammond UK VOIP 16 12-01-2007 08:56 AM
voip wifi phone recommendation needed Stephen Hammond UK VOIP 11 03-09-2007 07:14 PM
Re: Skype WiFi Phone? John Navas VOIP 0 06-21-2006 04:27 AM
USB Skype box AU-600 forward Skype calls to mobile phone or traditional phone dianasun VOIP 0 06-01-2006 07:00 AM
Initiate a SkyPe Call Using a Cordless Phone Via ActionTec Internet Phone Wizard? jaykchan@hotmail.com VOIP 2 03-15-2006 05:27 PM

Advertisments