Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless User First Time Domain Login

Wireless User First Time Domain Login

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlbnQgV2lsbGlhbXM=?=

Scenario:

Wireless-only Windows XP laptop is aleady a domain member.

User tries to log in on laptop for the first time - and cannot because
wireless network connection is not active till after login. Since user has
never logged in on this laptop, there is no cached login information.

Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE login so that
connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time login?

Thank you for your help.

Brent

Frankster

> Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE
> login so that connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time login?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Brent

Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering purposes.

-Frank

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlbnQgV2lsbGlhbXM=?=

Hi Frank.

I am the administrator. If it can be done, how? A policy? Registry hack?
I need some specifics.

Brent

"Frankster" wrote:

> > Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE
> > login so that connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time login?
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > Brent

> Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
> wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
> userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering purposes.
>
> -Frank

Frankster

All I know to do is asked you what kind of wireless setup you have now.
What model cards, access points, and/or routers.

I use a wireless access point on my wired network. All my machines
wireless-only machines remain connected all the time, evidenced by the fact
that they go out for AV updates automatically and I can map to and use
shared drives on each. This is with no one logged onto the laptops. So...
I'm pretty confused as to why you do not have a connection prior to user
logon.

Why not just explain your entire network setup and where/how wireless is
implemented.

-Frank

"Brent Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Frank.
>
> I am the administrator. If it can be done, how? A policy? Registry hack?
> I need some specifics.
>
> Brent
>
> "Frankster" wrote:
>
>> > Question: How do you enable the wireless connections BEFORE
>> > login so that connection to DC or IAS is possible for a first-time
>> > login?
>> >
>> > Thank you for your help.
>> >
>> > Brent

>> Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
>> wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
>> userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering
>> purposes.
>>
>> -Frank

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlbnQgV2lsbGlhbXM=?=

Hi Frank,

I've seen this problem with Proxim ABG cards (and others), using Proxim and
Linksys APs. In all cases the workstations are Win XP SP2 using the built-in
MS wireless client. Do you use the MS wireless client?

Brent

"Frankster" wrote:

> All I know to do is asked you what kind of wireless setup you have now.
> What model cards, access points, and/or routers.
>
> I use a wireless access point on my wired network. All my machines
> wireless-only machines remain connected all the time, evidenced by the fact
> that they go out for AV updates automatically and I can map to and use
> shared drives on each. This is with no one logged onto the laptops. So...
> I'm pretty confused as to why you do not have a connection prior to user
> logon.
>
> Why not just explain your entire network setup and where/how wireless is
> implemented.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Brent Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Frank.
> >
> > I am the administrator. If it can be done, how? A policy? Registry hack?
> > I need some specifics.
> >
> > Brent

> >> Talk to your wireless provider/administrator. It can be configured for a
> >> wireless connection before a user login. You must be using some kind of
> >> userID/Pswd for some kind of authorization, security or metering
> >> purposes.
> >>
> >> -Frank

Frankster

Well, I don't know what you mean by "MS Wireless Client".

I have a MS AP plugged into one of my network switches. One of my wireless
laptops uses a MS PC wireless card and the other uses the built-in Intel
on-board wireless interface.

I have a question. After a user logs onto your laptops, does he have to do
anything to get connected or does it happen automatically as soon as he logs
on?

Also, I'm assuming that you are not setup in Ad-hoc mode, right?

Also, what kind of authentication are you using. Mine is open, none
required.

-Frank

"Brent Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Frank,
>
> I've seen this problem with Proxim ABG cards (and others), using Proxim
> and
> Linksys APs. In all cases the workstations are Win XP SP2 using the
> built-in
> MS wireless client. Do you use the MS wireless client?
>
> Brent
>
> "Frankster" wrote:
>
>> All I know to do is asked you what kind of wireless setup you have now.
>> What model cards, access points, and/or routers.
>>
>> I use a wireless access point on my wired network. All my machines
>> wireless-only machines remain connected all the time, evidenced by the
>> fact
>> that they go out for AV updates automatically and I can map to and use
>> shared drives on each. This is with no one logged onto the laptops.
>> So...
>> I'm pretty confused as to why you do not have a connection prior to user
>> logon.
>>
>> Why not just explain your entire network setup and where/how wireless is
>> implemented.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "Brent Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi Frank.
>> >
>> > I am the administrator. If it can be done, how? A policy? Registry
>> > hack?
>> > I need some specifics.
>> >
>> > Brent

Phil

I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
(as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
just received)!
Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
to encounter!
I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
"The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
this desire true!