Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sony PSP Go, a Dead Duck.

Sony PSP Go, a Dead Duck.

Mary Hanna

Yes it seems that many UK shops will not be stocking it and EB Games here and
in OZZ as well.

This device does not have a UMD drive.

>>> PlayStation Network account and Internet access are required to download games and other copyright-protected content.

The bad:
Pricey, despite lack of touch screen and second analog stick; smaller screen
(but same resolution); awkward placement of analog stick, volume, and display
controls; unable to play UMD games or use old PSP accessories; uses obscure
and expensive Memory Stick M2 format for memory expansion; battery not
user-replaceable; slow download times for large games.

Sony gone mad on Piracy, like they are with region locking, and there famous
RootKit.

Plus they block you for writing your own games, but there are many Hack for
the PSP to get over that..

me

On Oct 2, 8:02*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sony gone mad on Piracy, like they *are with region locking, and there famous
> RootKit.

No, I would say they are responding to the unrealistic desire for
downloadable media, which in-forces region coding. Both the PSP and
PS3 are region free for disc based games (well actually they are
region free for downloadable games too if you have an overseas PSN
account)

And Sony didn't have the rootkit, you would be thinking of SonyBMG

Logo

On Oct 2, 7:02*pm, Mary Hanna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yes it seems that many UK shops will not be stocking it and EB Games here and
> in OZZ as well.
>
> This device does not have a UMD drive.

> The bad:
> *Pricey, despite lack of touch screen and second analog stick; smaller screen
> (but same resolution); awkward placement of analog stick, volume, and display
> controls; unable to play UMD games or use old PSP accessories; uses obscure
> and expensive Memory Stick M2 format for memory expansion; battery not
> user-replaceable; slow download times for large games.
>
> Sony gone mad on Piracy, like they *are with region locking, and there famous
> RootKit.
>
> Plus they block you for writing your own games, but there are many Hack for
> the PSP to get over that..

no umd drive means the retailer can't sell games - that's where the
money is. Not surprising then that EB and the likes won't sell it.