Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Run code on a schedule

Run code on a schedule

pvong

Doing this in VB.net and I'm a newbie.

I have an onclick that runs some code and then sends an email based on the
answer. I have to click this button everyday. Is there a way to run this
as a schedule. Can you create a batch file that runs vb code?

pvong

I found some stuff on Google, the the instructions are not very good. I
guess I was just wondering if anyone had a good detail site that shows you
this for newbies.

Thanks!

"pvong" <vonger@*dot*com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doing this in VB.net and I'm a newbie.
>
> I have an onclick that runs some code and then sends an email based on the
> answer. I have to click this button everyday. Is there a way to run this
> as a schedule. Can you create a batch file that runs vb code?

Gregory A. Beamer

"pvong" <vonger@*dot*com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Doing this in VB.net and I'm a newbie.
>
> I have an onclick that runs some code and then sends an email based on
> the answer. I have to click this button everyday. Is there a way to
> run this as a schedule. Can you create a batch file that runs vb
> code?

1. Set up a console application that makes the check instead of an ASP.NET
application. Then, set it up to run every day using a scheduling tool. In
Windows, on possibility is the built in at.exe.

2. Set up a windows service (a bit harder) and call the check code on a
scheduled basis. Harder to implement, but can be set up to auto run on
start up.

In both instances, move the code from ASP.NET to a library and create
either the console or windows service UI bits separately.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA