Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Unofficial Python GIS SIG

Unofficial Python GIS SIG

sean.gillies@gmail.com

There's growing interest among GIS users of Python for a discussion
group, so I've started an unofficial Python GIS SIG at:
http://groups.google.com/group/python-gis-sig. Please join if you're
interested in improving Python's GIS story. At any rate, the group
should (hopefully) reduce the number of GIS questions that get
mistakenly posted to Web-SIG ("GIS" is commonly known as "SIG" outside
the US/UK).

Regards,
--
Sean Gillies
Programmer

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>There's growing interest among GIS users of Python for a discussion
>group, so I've started an unofficial Python GIS SIG at:
>http://groups.google.com/group/python-gis-sig. Please join if you're
>interested in improving Python's GIS story. At any rate, the group
>should (hopefully) reduce the number of GIS questions that get
>mistakenly posted to Web-SIG ("GIS" is commonly known as "SIG" outside
>the US/UK).

Any particular reason you didn't create a list @python.org?

"....Normal is what cuts off your sixth finger and your tail..." --Siobhan

seang

On Oct 1, 9:49*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>,
>
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >There's growing interest among GIS users of Python for a discussion
> >group, so I've started an unofficial Python GIS SIG at:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/python-gis-sig. Please join if you're
> >interested in improving Python's GIS story. At any rate, the group
> >should (hopefully) reduce the number of GIS questions that get
> >mistakenly posted to Web-SIG ("GIS" is commonly known as "SIG" outside
> >the US/UK).

> Any particular reason you didn't create a list @python.org?
> --
> Aahz ((E-Mail Removed)) * * * * * <*> * * * *http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "....Normal is what cuts off your sixth finger and your tail..." *--Siobhan

Only that I am not entirely sure this will take off and don't want to
leave python.org with a defunct list, and I'm unfamiliar with what's
involved with starting a list on python.org. A Google group seemed low
risk. There's fairly good sign-up so far. Am I alienating anybody by
not going with python.org?

--
Sean

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
seang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Oct 1, 9:49=A0pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Aahz) wrote:
>>
>> Any particular reason you didn't create a list @python.org?

>Only that I am not entirely sure this will take off and don't want to
>leave python.org with a defunct list, and I'm unfamiliar with what's
>involved with starting a list on python.org. A Google group seemed low
>risk. There's fairly good sign-up so far. Am I alienating anybody by
>not going with python.org?

Dunno, but I don't use mailing lists on google.com.

"To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is a
koan. Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated. You
discover truth everytime you use it." (E-Mail Removed)