Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > extending the range of a wireless network

extending the range of a wireless network

yawnmoth

Linksys sells wireless repeaters:

http://www.shoplinksys.com/viewprodu...uctId=53934613

Netgear sells improved antenna's:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsW...andCables.aspx

Which one would I want if I wanted to extend the range of my wireless
network? The thing I worry about with the antenna's is this: that
although that'll improve the routers ability to read packets that it
won't improve it's ability to send them out. ie. if I got an antenna,
I'd actually need two - one for the router and one for device
connecting to the router.

Also, I have a PCMCIA wireless card that can have antennas plugged
into it and haven't really noticed much discernible difference when
antenna's are plugged into it. I plug in a 7 dBI omni directional
antenna, don't seem to be able to see any new access points, and then
plug in a 14 dBI directional antenna and again don't seem to be able
to see any new access points.

Of course, then again, I'm not really sure how one would best go about
evaluating an antenna. It seems like maybe a good way would be to
create snapshots of the access points you can see. ie. dump the
access points you can see without an antenna to a text file, dump
those you can see with an omnidirectional antenna to a text file, and
dump those you can see with a more powerful directional antenna to a
text file. Then just do a diff between them and see which access
points are common to all text files and which ones aren't.
Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how to do that. Any ideas?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Wireless behaves differently in each environment.
Boosting it with Antenna usually work well outdoor when there is clean view
between the source and the client.
It does not do much indoor.
Here are the common methods use to Boost WIFI. Read and try to judge which
method would do well in your environment.
Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).