Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 logo and Virtualization?

Windows 7 logo and Virtualization?

Al Dykes

Will the just-announced Windows 7 logo on a machine mean that it will
be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?

--
Al Dykes

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, it won't mean anything about virtualization one way or another. You'll
need to know if the machine has a processor that supports hardware
virtualization, and a BIOS that supports it as well.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ha01r3$1qv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Will the just-announced Windows 7 logo on a machine mean that it will
> be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> advertising.
> - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

Carlos

This web page has a comprehensive list of processors that support HW
virtualization:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...ntel,7709.html
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> No, it won't mean anything about virtualization one way or another. You'll
> need to know if the machine has a processor that supports hardware
> virtualization, and a BIOS that supports it as well.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>

> "Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ha01r3$1qv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Will the just-announced Windows 7 logo on a machine mean that it will
> > be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?
> >

> > --
> > Al Dykes
> > News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> > advertising.
> > - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

G. Morgan

On 30 Sep 2009 12:43:15 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote:

>Will the just-announced Windows 7 logo on a machine mean that it will
>be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?

From what I read, to get the logo the OEM machine must be capable of running
all versions of Win7 including 64Bit (which excludes many netbooks).

Bobby Johnson

You can read about the Windows 7 Logo Program @
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd203105.aspx

There are links to documentation, but I didn't find any requirement for
hardware virtualization.

G. Morgan wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2009 12:43:15 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote:
>
>> Will the just-announced Windows 7 logo on a machine mean that it will
>> be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?

> From what I read, to get the logo the OEM machine must be capable of running
> all versions of Win7 including 64Bit (which excludes many netbooks).

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, but that is still no guarantee that the BIOS will support it.
Especially on laptops, the processor alone isn't sufficient knowledge.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This web page has a comprehensive list of processors that support HW
> virtualization:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...ntel,7709.html
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> No, it won't mean anything about virtualization one way or another.
>> You'll
>> need to know if the machine has a processor that supports hardware
>> virtualization, and a BIOS that supports it as well.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ha01r3$1qv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > Will the just-announced Windows 7 logo on a machine mean that it will
>> > be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Al Dykes
>> > News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
>> > advertising.
>> > - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

Jane C

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Yes, but that is still no guarantee that the BIOS will support it.
> Especially on laptops, the processor alone isn't sufficient knowledge.

<cough> Sony VAIO </cough> comes to mind there. Sony flatly refuse to
support VT in the BIOS of quite a few of their VAIO range, much to the
chagrin of those who have bought them. Their excuse is pitiful.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

Charlie Russel - MVP

Exactly! And they wonder why I won't buy a Vaio?

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...