Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Intel Core 2 Solo processor - is this a single or dual-core CPU?

Intel Core 2 Solo processor - is this a single or dual-core CPU?

Spin

Gurus,

I recently purchased am Acer 4810T laptop. The specs say it's an "Intel
Core 2 Solo processor" but does that mean it's a dual-core single chip, or
just a solo CPU and that's it? Under Windows Task Manager, I only see one
CPU under the Performance tab graph.

--
Spin

Dan C

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:08:57 -0400, Spin wrote:

> Gurus,
>
> I recently purchased am Acer 4810T laptop. The specs say it's an
> "Intel Core 2 Solo processor" but does that mean it's a dual-core single
> chip, or just a solo CPU and that's it? Under Windows Task Manager, I
> only see one CPU under the Performance tab graph.

You don't know how to type "intel core 2 solo" into a Google search?

Here: http://www.intel.com/products/proces...solo/index.htm

Don't be so friggin helpless. Sheesh.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

Spin

I read the link you sent and thanks..."The Intel Core 2 Solo processor is
the next generation single-core processor " my confusion resulted from the
CPU being called both a "Core 2" and "Solo" both in the same sentence. I'm
still confused by that designation, but at least understand that it is a
single-core processor.

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:08:57 -0400, Spin wrote:
>
>> Gurus,
>>
>> I recently purchased am Acer 4810T laptop. The specs say it's an
>> "Intel Core 2 Solo processor" but does that mean it's a dual-core single
>> chip, or just a solo CPU and that's it? Under Windows Task Manager, I
>> only see one CPU under the Performance tab graph.

> You don't know how to type "intel core 2 solo" into a Google search?
>
> Here: http://www.intel.com/products/proces...solo/index.htm
>
> Don't be so friggin helpless. Sheesh.
>

> --
> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
> "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
> Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

Dan C

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:50:11 -0400, Spin wrote:

> I read the link you sent and thanks..."The Intel Core 2 Solo processor
> is the next generation single-core processor " my confusion resulted
> from the CPU being called both a "Core 2" and "Solo" both in the same
> sentence. I'm still confused by that designation, but at least
> understand that it is a single-core processor.

"Core 2" is just the name of the latest processor. It's like "Pentium"
or "486" in the past. The Solo/Duo/Quad designator tells how many cores
are in the processor.

Again, this stuff is easily learned with a *simple* search. Learn how to
use Google.

Oh, and learn how to *NOT* top-post on Usenet. It makes you look like a
n00b and a fool.

You're welcome.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

Spin

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Core 2" is just the name of the latest processor. It's like "Pentium"
> or "486" in the past. The Solo/Duo/Quad designator tells how many cores
> are in the processor.

While I could have Googled it, sometimes I just want to post the question
instead to get insight which may be more revealing and thoughtful then the
search results. For instance, when you said "Core 2" is just the name of
the latest processor. It's like "Pentium" or "486" in the past. The
Solo/Duo/Quad designator tells how many cores are in the processor." that
was exact quick "straight-talk" I was looking for. I do search on Google,
but not always...

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:08:57 -0400, Spin wrote:
>
>> Gurus,
>>
>> I recently purchased am Acer 4810T laptop. The specs say it's an
>> "Intel Core 2 Solo processor" but does that mean it's a dual-core single
>> chip, or just a solo CPU and that's it? Under Windows Task Manager, I
>> only see one CPU under the Performance tab graph.

> You don't know how to type "intel core 2 solo" into a Google search?
>
> Here: http://www.intel.com/products/proces...solo/index.htm
>
> Don't be so friggin helpless. Sheesh.

.....'And while you're at it, make sure you type "-Dan -Smith" into google so
you don't get lame replies from arseholes like this dumb****! NGs are about
people sharing ideas man! **** google!

"Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Core 2" is just the name of the latest processor. It's like "Pentium"
>> or "486" in the past. The Solo/Duo/Quad designator tells how many cores
>> are in the processor.

> While I could have Googled it, sometimes I just want to post the question
> instead to get insight which may be more revealing and thoughtful then the
> search results. For instance, when you said "Core 2" is just the name of
> the latest processor. It's like "Pentium" or "486" in the past. The
> Solo/Duo/Quad designator tells how many cores are in the processor." that
> was exact quick "straight-talk" I was looking for. I do search on Google,
> but not always...

Don't waste yer breath talking to the self-rightous bastard! He should have
a NG of his own, away from REAL people. Go google that, Dan C.

I know...'I missed out the 'e'....'didn't I Dan! Prick!

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:keOwm.24319$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>I know...'I missed out the 'e'....'didn't I Dan! Prick!

....'still don't get it, do you Dan?

Yer an ignorant tosser!

gregg

"Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Core 2" is just the name of the latest processor. It's like "Pentium"
>> or "486" in the past. The Solo/Duo/Quad designator tells how many cores
>> are in the processor.

> While I could have Googled it, sometimes I just want to post the question
> instead to get insight which may be more revealing and thoughtful then the
> search results. For instance, when you said "Core 2" is just the name of
> the latest processor. It's like "Pentium" or "486" in the past. The
> Solo/Duo/Quad designator tells how many cores are in the processor." that
> was exact quick "straight-talk" I was looking for. I do search on Google,
> but not always...

I think it probably a bit confusing, because it is meant to be misleading.
Probably merits a future class action suit.