Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Long running searches

Long running searches

David Kleyman

Hello

I am trying to display "Please wait..." message on a page while page is
retrieving data from SQL server
I have this code in place but it does not seem to be working
Private Sub cmdSearch_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles cmdSearch.Click

lblMessage.Text = "Please wait..."

' do the search

end Sub

Is there something I am doing wrong

Thank you

David

Hermit Dave

The reason it is not working is because you are assigning the value to the
label in the event handler for command object.
and the actual rendering of the server control doesnt start until after the
end.

What you could try is the classic

Response.Write("Please wait");
Response.Flush();

' your code to do the search

HTH

--
Regards,

HD

"David Kleyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I am trying to display "Please wait..." message on a page while page is
> retrieving data from SQL server
> I have this code in place but it does not seem to be working
> Private Sub cmdSearch_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
> System.EventArgs) Handles cmdSearch.Click

> lblMessage.Text = "Please wait..."
>
> ' do the search

> end Sub
>

> Is there something I am doing wrong
>
> Thank you
>
> David

Curt_C [MVP]

Correct... that's due to the client never getting the info until the data is
rendered......
There were some suggestions posted on this earlier today that you should
look at. If you look back you should see them.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"David Kleyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I am trying to display "Please wait..." message on a page while page is
> retrieving data from SQL server
> I have this code in place but it does not seem to be working
> Private Sub cmdSearch_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
> System.EventArgs) Handles cmdSearch.Click

> lblMessage.Text = "Please wait..."
>
> ' do the search

> end Sub
>

> Is there something I am doing wrong
>
> Thank you
>
> David

David Kleyman

I can't find the posts that you referring to

Can you point them out?

David

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Correct... that's due to the client never getting the info until the data

is
> rendered......
> There were some suggestions posted on this earlier today that you should
> look at. If you look back you should see them.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> www.Darkfalz.com
>

> "David Kleyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > I am trying to display "Please wait..." message on a page while page is
> > retrieving data from SQL server
> > I have this code in place but it does not seem to be working
> > Private Sub cmdSearch_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
> > System.EventArgs) Handles cmdSearch.Click

> > lblMessage.Text = "Please wait..."
> >
> > ' do the search

> > end Sub
> >

> > Is there something I am doing wrong