Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL and monitored alarm...

ADSL and monitored alarm...

peterwn

On Sep 30, 7:19*pm, Nicolaas Hawkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:05:02 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in
> <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> >> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
> >> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
> >> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

> I have just checked with a friend who is a telecom tech and does these sorts
> of installs for a living.
> He informs me that such installations require a splitter (which is basically
> an industrial-strength filter) adjacent to the point of entry and separate
> wiring from the unfiltered side of the splitter to dedicated ADSL connection
> points within he building. *From the output (filtered) side of the splitter
> are run the normal telephone jacks and the alarm connection (which, by
> convention, is the first connection in that circuit).

Unfortunately the 'splitters' cost a fortune and in any case are not
available at the retail level (DSE, Jaycar etc). That is why I use an
ordinary plug through filter as a 'splitter'. Presumably the proper
'splitters' are less prone to failure than the plug through filters
but the functionality is the same. If a plug through gilter used as a
'splitter' fails, it is easily replaced with another.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:34:58 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:

[snip for brevity]

> Nicolaas Hawkins... does this sound good to you? - get a splitter/filter
> installed by the sky installer at the point of entry (or whereever) - so
> that the alarm is filtered as "phone" frequency - the rest goes through
> to the house, and is further filtered (I presume) - "phone" or
> "internet".

Yes, that sounds reasonable to me.

> I am presuming that the alarm calls out on "phone" frequency. I think
> (but didn't check) that the alarm "phones home" once a day.

Yes. As far as the 'phone home' thing goes, I don't know - but it seems
likely for testing purposes. It would probably depend on the policy and
procedures of the monitoring company.

> I guess what I'm worried about, is that the alarm won't be a standard
> (jack) connection (and therefore not straightforward to put a filter
> on).

Hence the preference (requirement?) to use a splitter rather than individual
filters in such an installation. I am subject to correction on this, but I
would expect burglar alarms to usually be hard-wired into the system, but
medical alarms would more likely plug in to a standard phone jack.

--
- Nicolaas