Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL and monitored alarm...

ADSL and monitored alarm...

Dave Doe

What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
monitored alarm system.

Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
ring).

I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?

Set-up options
Connection onlyFree
until 31 October 2009
AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
- no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
use in your house
No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
Connection & Wiring$199.00
until 31 October 2009
AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
does not reach your wall.
A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
exchange.

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
> monitored alarm system.
>
> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
> ring).
>
> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
> will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?
>

> Set-up options
> Connection onlyFree
> until 31 October 2009
> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
> use in your house
> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
> Connection & Wiring$199.00
> until 31 October 2009
> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
> does not reach your wall.
> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
> exchange.

https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/...,10627,205730-
204473,00.html?action=/modem&select=216

for the details I copied.

--
Duncan.

JohnO

On Sep 30, 2:06*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
> monitored alarm system.
>
> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
> ring).
>
> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
> will "do stuff" for $199. *I'm wondering what they do?
>
> Set-up options
> Connection onlyFree
> until 31 October 2009
> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
> use in your house
> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
> *Connection & Wiring$199.00
> until 31 October 2009
> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
> does not reach your wall.
> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
> exchange.
>
> --
> Duncan.

The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
an ADSL filter you should be fine.

greg

JohnO wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2:06 pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
>> monitored alarm system.
>>
>> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
>> ring).
>>
>> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
>> will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?
>>
>> Set-up options
>> Connection onlyFree
>> until 31 October 2009
>> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
>> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
>> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
>> use in your house
>> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
>> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
>> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
>> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
>> Connection & Wiring$199.00
>> until 31 October 2009
>> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
>> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
>> does not reach your wall.
>> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
>> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
>> exchange.
>>
>> --
>> Duncan.

> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

The best way, at the point of entry to the house, fit a wired ADSL
filter, the non-filtered line goes to the jack point for the DSL modem,
the filtered line goes to the rest of the jack points in the house via
the alarm unit, as this when it dials out switches off the rest of the
jack points.

Greg

Stephen Worthington

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:39:57 +1300, greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>JohnO wrote:
>> On Sep 30, 2:06 pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
>>> monitored alarm system.
>>>
>>> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
>>> ring).
>>>
>>> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
>>> will "do stuff" for $199. I'm wondering what they do?
>>>
>>> Set-up options
>>> Connection onlyFree
>>> until 31 October 2009
>>> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
>>> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
>>> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
>>> use in your house
>>> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
>>> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
>>> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
>>> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
>>> Connection & Wiring$199.00
>>> until 31 October 2009
>>> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
>>> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
>>> does not reach your wall.
>>> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
>>> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
>>> exchange.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Duncan.

>> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
>> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
>> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

>The best way, at the point of entry to the house, fit a wired ADSL
>filter, the non-filtered line goes to the jack point for the DSL modem,
>the filtered line goes to the rest of the jack points in the house via
>the alarm unit, as this when it dials out switches off the rest of the
>jack points.
>
>Greg

If you have Sky digital I think they will already have installed the
filter like that. The Sky box apparently has to be able to phone
home, and is installed like the monitored alarms are. Or if you are
also wanting Sky, get them to do the install and they will do the
filter and you save on $199 to Telecom. I believe Sky installs are
free at the moment. You can also get quotes from other phone
installer companies to do the job, likely for less than $199.

peterwn

On Sep 30, 2:30*pm, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
> > to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
> > machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
> > *Connection & Wiring$199.00
> > until 31 October 2009
> > AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
> > system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
> > does not reach your wall.
> > A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
> > visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
> > exchange.

> > --
> > Duncan.

> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with

Sorry for the 'misfire'.

I may be wrong but the phone pair might loop via the alarm box so the
alarm signal can be sent without interference.

In a few cases I have used an ordinary plug through filter to isolate
all the jackpoints. I install a 'E' (or 2 wire) jackpoint on the
incoming pair and plug the filter into that. I then join an old phone
lead to the rest of the wiring (connect two wires only) and plug it
into the filter.If is near the DSL modem you plug the DSL modem into
the filter. It overcomes the four or so phone limit. Otherwise you
would need to sort out a bit of extra wiring. If you have ye olde 3-
wire wiring you will need one (and only one) 'M' jack after the
filter.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:05:02 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On Sep 30, 2:30*pm, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sep 30, 2:06*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> What do you need to do to make ADSL work OK over a phone line with a
>>> monitored alarm system.

>>> Additionally there is a fax number on this line (faxability / distinct
>>> ring).

>>> I see (badly copy n' pasted below from Telecom's website), that they
>>> will "do stuff" for $199. *I'm wondering what they do?

>>> Set-up options
>>> Connection onlyFree
>>> until 31 October 2009
>>> AddWe connect your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local exchange
>>> - no technician visit is required. This is the best option if you are
>>> connecting one computer to broadband and have less than 5 jack points in
>>> use in your house
>>> No filter is needed for the jack point (phone socket) your modem is
>>> connected to, but you need a filter for every device you have connected
>>> to your broadband phone line - including phones, fax machines, answering
>>> machines, SKY digital decoders, and digital modems
>>> *Connection & Wiring$199.00
>>> until 31 October 2009
>>> AddYou'll need this option if you have a monitored or medical alarm
>>> system, if you have five or more jack points in use or your modem cord
>>> does not reach your wall.
>>> A service technician visits your home (we can confirm a time and date of
>>> visit) and connects your home line to Telecom Broadband at your local
>>> exchange.

>>> --
>>> Duncan.

>> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
>> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
>> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

I have just checked with a friend who is a telecom tech and does these sorts
of installs for a living.
He informs me that such installations require a splitter (which is basically
an industrial-strength filter) adjacent to the point of entry and separate
wiring from the unfiltered side of the splitter to dedicated ADSL connection
points within he building. From the output (filtered) side of the splitter
are run the normal telephone jacks and the alarm connection (which, by
convention, is the first connection in that circuit).

--
- Nicolaas

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers says...
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:39:57 +1300, greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >JohnO wrote:

> >> The monitored alarm is just another analog POTS device such as a phone
> >> or fax, right? So as long as all the POTS devices are connected with
> >> an ADSL filter you should be fine.

> >The best way, at the point of entry to the house, fit a wired ADSL
> >filter, the non-filtered line goes to the jack point for the DSL modem,
> >the filtered line goes to the rest of the jack points in the house via
> >the alarm unit, as this when it dials out switches off the rest of the
> >jack points.
> >
> >Greg

> If you have Sky digital I think they will already have installed the
> filter like that. The Sky box apparently has to be able to phone
> home, and is installed like the monitored alarms are. Or if you are
> also wanting Sky, get them to do the install and they will do the
> filter and you save on $199 to Telecom. I believe Sky installs are
> free at the moment. You can also get quotes from other phone
> installer companies to do the job, likely for less than $199.

Thanks Stephen...

Hey guess what. I've been in touch, and Sky is being upgraded tomorrow
(um... today - Thursday - from the old UHF to digital - as it's being
discontinued, for free! Hence, a sky installer will be out tomorrow
(Thursday).

So I guess I should suggest I be there, to talk to the sky installer and
see what we can get wired up. !

Nicolaas Hawkins... does this sound good to you? - get a splitter/filter
installed by the sky installer at the point of entry (or whereever) - so
that the alarm is filtered as "phone" frequency - the rest goes through
to the house, and is further filtered (I presume) - "phone" or
"internet".

I am presuming that the alarm calls out on "phone" frequency. I think
(but didn't check) that the alarm "phones home" once a day.

I guess what I'm worried about, is that the alarm won't be a standard
(jack) connection (and therefore not straightforward to put a filter
on).

--
Duncan.

EMB

Dave Doe wrote:

> Hey guess what. I've been in touch, and Sky is being upgraded tomorrow
> (um... today - Thursday - from the old UHF to digital - as it's being
> discontinued, for free! Hence, a sky installer will be out tomorrow
> (Thursday).
>
> So I guess I should suggest I be there, to talk to the sky installer and
> see what we can get wired up. !
>
> Nicolaas Hawkins... does this sound good to you? - get a splitter/filter
> installed by the sky installer at the point of entry (or whereever) - so
> that the alarm is filtered as "phone" frequency - the rest goes through
> to the house, and is further filtered (I presume) - "phone" or
> "internet".
>
> I am presuming that the alarm calls out on "phone" frequency. I think
> (but didn't check) that the alarm "phones home" once a day.
>
> I guess what I'm worried about, is that the alarm won't be a standard
> (jack) connection (and therefore not straightforward to put a filter
> on).

There's no real point in what you suggest Duncan. Although in theory it
will work (as the alarm does indeed use "phone" frequencies) what you
have suggested will not give good ADSL results.

If your house is wired with 2 pair cable then filtering before the alarm
and running voice on 1 pair and ADSL on the second pair will work - you
just need to only add a jackpoint to the second pair where you want to
place the ADSL modem.