Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Network Windows 7 x64 and Linux x84

Network Windows 7 x64 and Linux x84

VE2

Hello
I have two computers on a home network, one has Windows XP x86 multi- booted
with Windows 7 RTM x64, the other has Linux 64 bit (Ubuntu 9.02)

I am trying to set up folder sharing. So far I can:

Using Win XP: access Linux folders on Win XP and Win XP folders on Linux.
Using Win 7: access Linux folders on Windows 7.

I cannot access Windows 7 folders on Linux. I looked at everything
I could think of, turned off Windows firewall etc. Linux keeps asking for a
password but it seems not to be accepted by Win 7. I can easily live with
this; I just wonder if there may be a simple solution. (Since I can easily
connect both ways with Win XP and Win 7 with Linux, I assume something must
be changed in Win 7)

Robert Wolfe [MCP]

VE2 wrote:
> Hello
> I have two computers on a home network, one has Windows XP x86 multi-
> booted with Windows 7 RTM x64, the other has Linux 64 bit (Ubuntu 9.02)
>
> I am trying to set up folder sharing. So far I can:
>
> Using Win XP: access Linux folders on Win XP and Win XP folders on Linux.
> Using Win 7: access Linux folders on Windows 7.
>
> I cannot access Windows 7 folders on Linux. I looked at everything
> I could think of, turned off Windows firewall etc. Linux keeps asking
> for a password but it seems not to be accepted by Win 7. I can easily
> live with this; I just wonder if there may be a simple solution. (Since
> I can easily connect both ways with Win XP and Win 7 with Linux, I
> assume something must be changed in Win 7)

Have you checked your permissions on the Windows 7 side of things?

VE2

Linux keeps asking for a password. I enter a valid password
but its not accepted. I have tried many variations of user/password
but nothing works.
I can read/write Linux folders from Windows 7, so I can workaround
the problem...just curious as to what could be wrong.

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Hello
>> I have two computers on a home network, one has Windows XP x86 multi-
>> booted with Windows 7 RTM x64, the other has Linux 64 bit (Ubuntu 9.02)
>>
>> I am trying to set up folder sharing. So far I can:
>>
>> Using Win XP: access Linux folders on Win XP and Win XP folders on Linux.
>> Using Win 7: access Linux folders on Windows 7.
>>
>> I cannot access Windows 7 folders on Linux. I looked at everything
>> I could think of, turned off Windows firewall etc. Linux keeps asking for
>> a password but it seems not to be accepted by Win 7. I can easily live
>> with this; I just wonder if there may be a simple solution. (Since I can
>> easily connect both ways with Win XP and Win 7 with Linux, I assume
>> something must be changed in Win 7)
>>

> Have you tried leaving the password blank? When you mount a Windows share,
> Linux can ask for a password, whether there is one or not. Just leave it
> blank. It might also help to turn on the Windows 7 guest account if you
> want to allow anonymous access.

VE2

Permissions all seem valid; I tried many variations of user/password
with the same result: Linux keeps asking for a password. I believe
the problem is some setting on Windows 7.

"Robert Wolfe [MCP]" <robert.wolfeNOSPAM!@robertwolfe.org> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> VE2 wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have two computers on a home network, one has Windows XP x86 multi-
>> booted with Windows 7 RTM x64, the other has Linux 64 bit (Ubuntu 9.02)
>>
>> I am trying to set up folder sharing. So far I can:
>>
>> Using Win XP: access Linux folders on Win XP and Win XP folders on Linux.
>> Using Win 7: access Linux folders on Windows 7.
>>
>> I cannot access Windows 7 folders on Linux. I looked at everything
>> I could think of, turned off Windows firewall etc. Linux keeps asking for
>> a password but it seems not to be accepted by Win 7. I can easily live
>> with this; I just wonder if there may be a simple solution. (Since I can
>> easily connect both ways with Win XP and Win 7 with Linux, I assume
>> something must be changed in Win 7)
>>

> Have you checked your permissions on the Windows 7 side of things?

VE2

Yes, I tried using no password.
My Unix is rusty, but using Gnome I tried to access the share
via Places->Network or Places->Connect to Server; they both
result in the same dialog which says a password is required.
Using System->Network Tools I can ping windows 7, but only
using the IP address, not the computer name.

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Have you tried entering no password instead of a valid password? How are
> you mounting the share?
>
> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Linux keeps asking for a password. I enter a valid password
>> but its not accepted. I have tried many variations of user/password
>> but nothing works.
>> I can read/write Linux folders from Windows 7, so I can workaround
>> the problem...just curious as to what could be wrong.
>>
>> "Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you tried leaving the password blank? When you mount a Windows
>>> share, Linux can ask for a password, whether there is one or not. Just
>>> leave it blank. It might also help to turn on the Windows 7 guest
>>> account if you want to allow anonymous access.

VE2

Still no luck ("No such device or address")
It seems that Linux just does not find win 7.
(Not the case with win xp, works ok)

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I use KDE, so I can't comment on Gnome. You might try mounting the share
> from a console instead of letting Gnome do it for you. You might need root
> privelages to do this:
>
> mount <address of remote share> <mount point under linux, usually
> /mnt/something>
>
> eg.
>
> mount //10.0.0.4/myshare /mnt/myshare
>
> substituting proper share/mount names for myshare.
>
> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Yes, I tried using no password.
>> My Unix is rusty, but using Gnome I tried to access the share
>> via Places->Network or Places->Connect to Server; they both
>> result in the same dialog which says a password is required.
>> Using System->Network Tools I can ping windows 7, but only
>> using the IP address, not the computer name.
>>
>> "Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Have you tried entering no password instead of a valid password? How are
>>> you mounting the share?
>>>
>>> "VE2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

VE2

Actually, I like Windows 7!
As long as Windows 7 can access Linux folders, then I can
move files across, even if Linux does not recognize Win 7.
It must be some kind of extra Win 7 security thing, though
I don't know what . I will continue to test and will post here
if I find a solution.
Thanks for the help!