Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 32 or 64 bits Windows XP

32 or 64 bits Windows XP

Dave Doe

In article <h9r7co$btm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,

> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> > In article <h9q657$djl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
> >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've
> >> got.
> >> Windows XP

> > If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
> >
> > To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
> > Command prompt), and type:
> > winver
> > press the Enter key.
> >
> > If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

> Thank you
> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
> winver.

Yes it does. Had you actually tried typing, you'd have found text being
inserted right beside the "C prompt" - where there's a little flashing
"underscore" (called a cursor).

> It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600

Meaningless, that's just the command prompt info, and is equivalent to
typing:
ver

at the command prompt, followed by the <Enter> key.

> I suppose that would be 32bit.
>
> I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work on
> XP 64 bit.

Ah huh! - now you mention the reason for your question in the first
place - secondly. Great.

I can reasonably assure you, and would be willing to put $1,000 bet on
it, that you are running 32bit Windows XP. (You would not have got very
far on 64bit XP without some problems (mainly driver support, eg any
oldish printer).

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
> > >
> > >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
> > >Command prompt), and type:
> > >winver
> > >press the Enter key.
> > >
> > >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

> > Alternative method:
> >
> > To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
> >
> > run winmsd
> > check the value for Processor
> > if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
> > if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

> Will all due respect, I think you are getting crossed up with x86 (and
> x64!) and Itanium architecture.
>
> The most popular 64bit platform is gonna be x64, by a long shot (vs.
> Itanium (IA64)).
>
> Does that makes sense?

I spose it is more correct, to say x86-64, rather than x64.

--
Duncan.

EMB

Dave Doe wrote:

> I spose it is more correct, to say x86-64, rather than x64.

EM64T, or Intel64 are probably more correct still.

Geopelia

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tklwbdhxwo93$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:47:09 +1300, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in <news:h9r7co$btm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:
>
>> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In article <h9q657$djl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>
>>> If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
>>>
>>> To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
>>> Command prompt), and type:
>>> winver
>>> press the Enter key.
>>>
>>> If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

>> Thank you
>> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
>> winver.
>> It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600
>>
>> I suppose that would be 32bit.
>>
>> I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work
>> on
>> XP 64 bit.

> You would be perfectly safe to assume that you have the 32-bit version of
> Windows.

Thank you.

Geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <h9r7co$btm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> > In article <h9q657$djl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> >
>> > If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
>> >
>> > To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
>> > Command prompt), and type:
>> > winver
>> > press the Enter key.
>> >
>> > If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

>> Thank you
>> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
>> winver.

> Yes it does. Had you actually tried typing, you'd have found text being
> inserted right beside the "C prompt" - where there's a little flashing
> "underscore" (called a cursor).

Thank you.
I was expecting a box to type it in. I've just typed it in, but can't see
anything about bits in what came up.

>> It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600

> Meaningless, that's just the command prompt info, and is equivalent to
> typing:
> ver
>
> at the command prompt, followed by the <Enter> key.
>

>> I suppose that would be 32bit.
>>
>> I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work
>> on
>> XP 64 bit.

> Ah huh! - now you mention the reason for your question in the first
> place - secondly. Great.
>
> I can reasonably assure you, and would be willing to put $1,000 bet on
> it, that you are running 32bit Windows XP. (You would not have got very
> far on 64bit XP without some problems (mainly driver support, eg any
> oldish printer).

Thank you. I hope all the instructions for installing Pro are very simple.
There are pages of stuff.
We shall see!

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
>> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits
>> I've got. Windows XP

> You would know if you had 64. It's most uncommon and not in general use.
>
> geoff

Thank you.
The previous posters have lost me, but that usually happens as I know so
little.

Geopelia

Dave Doe

In article <h9svs3$eun$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> > In article <h9r7co$btm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >>
> >> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> >> Thank you
> >> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
> >> winver.

> > Yes it does. Had you actually tried typing, you'd have found text being
> > inserted right beside the "C prompt" - where there's a little flashing
> > "underscore" (called a cursor).

> Thank you.
> I was expecting a box to type it in. I've just typed it in, but can't see
> anything about bits in what came up.

As above - If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows
XP.

So you have the 32bit version.

<snip>
> Thank you. I hope all the instructions for installing Pro are very simple.
> There are pages of stuff.
> We shall see!

Get into it! 1

--
Duncan.

Gunnar Gren

Den 2009-09-29 skrev EMB <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Gordon wrote:
>> On 2009-09-28, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
>>> cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
>>> at the Ram above 3.2gb...

>> This is a limit of the 32 bit system/CPU.

> So Windows 2000 Enterprise which is only 32 bit doesn't support over
> 3.2GB of RAM? I think not.

The 32-bit CPU can't address more than 4 GB memory.
No one is talking about a game consol.

Gunnar Gren

Den 2009-09-29 skrev Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Thank you.
> The previous posters have lost me, but that usually happens as I know so
> little.

And now you know more! isn't life fantastic.

AD.

On Sep 30, 11:48*pm, Gunnar Gren <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The 32-bit CPU can't address more than 4 GB memory.
> No one is talking about a game consol.

That hasn't been the case since the Pentium Pro way back when.

What it comes down to is whether the OS supports PAE - and 32bit XP
doesn't. Certain Windows Server editions (and other OSes) do support
it though - hence EMBs reply.

You will still find that individual 32bit processes are still limited
in what they can address though.

--
Cheers
Anton