Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 32 or 64 bits Windows XP

32 or 64 bits Windows XP

Geopelia

What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
Windows XP

Dave Doe

In article <h9q657$djl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
> Windows XP

If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).

To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
Command prompt), and type:
winver
press the Enter key.

If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

Geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <h9q657$djl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
>> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've
>> got.
>> Windows XP

> If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
>
> To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
> Command prompt), and type:
> winver
> press the Enter key.
>
> If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

Thank you
I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
winver.
It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600

I suppose that would be 32bit.

I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work on
XP 64 bit.

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:59:10 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
>> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
>> Windows XP

>If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
>
>To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
>Command prompt), and type:
>winver
>press the Enter key.
>
>If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

Alternative method:

To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit

run winmsd
check the value for Processor
if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

thingy

On Sep 29, 9:49*am, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:59:10 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
> >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
> >> Windows XP

> >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).

> >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
> >Command prompt), and type:
> >winver
> >press the Enter key.

> >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

> Alternative method:
>
> To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
>
> run winmsd
> check the value for Processor
> if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
> if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

um.....

You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
at the Ram above 3.2gb...so knowing the CPU is not a sure way, only
what it could do.

regards

Thing

thingy

On Sep 29, 12:19*am, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
> Windows XP

99.9+% of home XP is going to be 32bit.....few in their right minds
would run 64bit XP it was not / is not very good and was/is only sold
to those who ask or buy a "big" workstation class machine....and again
usually ask for it.

64bitVista though seems fine, but I dont run games on it...

regards

thing

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:47:09 +1300, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:h9r7co$btm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:

> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In article <h9q657$djl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
>>> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've
>>> got.
>>> Windows XP

>> If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
>>
>> To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
>> Command prompt), and type:
>> winver
>> press the Enter key.
>>
>> If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

> Thank you
> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
> winver.
> It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600
>
> I suppose that would be 32bit.
>
> I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work on
> XP 64 bit.

You would be perfectly safe to assume that you have the 32-bit version of
Windows.

--
- Nicolaas

Gordon

On 2009-09-28, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 9:49*am, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).

>> >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
>> >Command prompt), and type:
>> >winver
>> >press the Enter key.

>> >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

>> Alternative method:
>>
>> To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
>>
>> run winmsd
>> check the value for Processor
>> if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
>> if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

> um.....
>
> You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
> cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
> at the Ram above 3.2gb...

This is a limit of the 32 bit system/CPU.

This is one reason why you will "need" a 54 bit system/CPU

EMB

Gordon wrote:
> On 2009-09-28, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
>> cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
>> at the Ram above 3.2gb...

> This is a limit of the 32 bit system/CPU.

So Windows 2000 Enterprise which is only 32 bit doesn't support over
3.2GB of RAM? I think not.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:59:10 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
> >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
> >> Windows XP

> >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
> >
> >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
> >Command prompt), and type:
> >winver
> >press the Enter key.
> >
> >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

> Alternative method:
>
> To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
>
> run winmsd
> check the value for Processor
> if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
> if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

Will all due respect, I think you are getting crossed up with x86 (and
x64!) and Itanium architecture.

The most popular 64bit platform is gonna be x64, by a long shot (vs.
Itanium (IA64)).

Does that makes sense?