Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless router security question..

Wireless router security question..

Enkidu

Richard wrote:
> Max Burke wrote:
>
>>> Should be ok, if anything goes wrong blame Linux.

>> Why, do D-Link routers have an embedded Linux OS?

> Not sure about that one, but lots do.

My DLink has a Linux OS.

Cheers,

Cliff

Sailor Sam

Enkidu wrote:
> Richard wrote:

>>> Why, do D-Link routers have an embedded Linux OS?

>> Not sure about that one, but lots do.
>>

> My DLink has a Linux OS.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Are you sure it's a linux kernel?

Enkidu

Sailor Sam wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Richard wrote:

>>> Not sure about that one, but lots do.
>>>

>> My DLink has a Linux OS.

> Are you sure it's a linux kernel?

I believe so. It's possible it is a BSD variant, but it doesn't look and
feel like it.

Cheers,

Cliff

Sailor Sam

Enkidu wrote:
> Sailor Sam wrote:

>>> My DLink has a Linux OS.

>> Are you sure it's a linux kernel?
> >

> I believe so. It's possible it is a BSD variant, but it doesn't look and
> feel like it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Hmm, depending on the functionality of the shell(s) installed/provided
it may be a bugger to prove one way or the other.

I nmapped (surely that's a word) my dodgy old dlink and got back
No exact OS matches for host (If you know what OS is running on it, see
http://nmap.org/submit/ ).

The telnet and ftp banners weren't any help either.
FTP:
$ ftp 10.1.1.1
Connected to 10.1.1.1.
220 FTP Server (Version 1.0) ready.
Name (10.1.1.1:sam): admin
331 User name okay, need password.
Password:
230 User logged in, proceed.
Remote system type is WINDOWS. <<--??????

Max Burke

Richard wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, your computer then broadcasts to contact the
>> router. Security on the computer end may be less stringent than the
>> router end allowing anyone to pretend to be your router. Of course it
>> isn't as simple as that but one end or the other has to broadcast and
>> it is better that the router does it.

> Yes.
>
> The router is constansly sending its mac address out as broadcasts
> anyway, what the ssid broadcast option (which is totally mal-named) does
> is answer when there is a request for the network ANY with its name. If
> thats off it only answers a request for the correct name, which means
> you have to tick the option on the computer to connect even if the
> network isnt broadcasting, which means constantly look for it when the
> wifi adapter is on.

> To be honest the whole way that ssids work is stupid and ill thought and
> both ways are just as bad, its just that having broadcast on means you
> will connect faster and if you have multiple APs on site will change
> between them more reliably.

I went through it's setup screens a bit more carefully and found the
switch for wireless, that I had overlooked previously.
It's no longer broadcasting or listening.

But I learned how to secure it if/when I reactivate the wireless option.

Found Images

Enkidu

Sailor Sam wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Sailor Sam wrote:

>>> Are you sure it's a linux kernel?
>> >

>> I believe so. It's possible it is a BSD variant, but it doesn't look
>> and feel like it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>

> Hmm, depending on the functionality of the shell(s) installed/provided
> it may be a bugger to prove one way or the other.
>
> I nmapped (surely that's a word) my dodgy old dlink and got back
> No exact OS matches for host (If you know what OS is running on it, see
> http://nmap.org/submit/ ).
>
> The telnet and ftp banners weren't any help either.
> FTP:
> $ ftp 10.1.1.1
> Connected to 10.1.1.1.
> 220 FTP Server (Version 1.0) ready.
> Name (10.1.1.1:sam): admin
> 331 User name okay, need password.
> Password:
> 230 User logged in, proceed.
> Remote system type is WINDOWS. <<--??????

According to this site : "D-Link DSL-G604T firmware is based on
MontaVista Linux 2.4.17".

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index...DslG604t#Linux

Cheers,

Cliff