Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > You Gotta HATE Vista!

You Gotta HATE Vista!

Jeff Strickland

What a pile of crap!

I'm setting up a brand new Vista machine, loading the several dozen
Microsoft updates and such, then installing Office '07 Professional Upgrade.

Vista has changed the User Password, and I can't get into the machine
anymore. The password worked for several Restarts, then when I tried to
install Office, I might have failed to Reboot after installing Works -- I do
not think that's true, but it could be. In any case, the Office install
would not take Works -- it is insisting on an Office product -- even though
it says on the box that Works is okay. I rebooted after cancelling the
Install, and the User Account password to open Vista no longer works.

Office is an Upgrade Version that clearly states on the packaging that it
accepts Works, v.6 through v.10 as the qualifying base -- I installed Works
v.9. Last time I checked, 9 is between 6 and 10, therefore should count as a
qualifying base.

It appears that I'll have to wipe the machine clean and do a full reinstall
of Vista to get around the password blockade that has been erected, and I'm
not sure how to force Works to be a qualifying base for Office Professional.

Any ideas before I light the fuse?

sandy58

On Sep 27, 1:16*am, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What a pile of crap!
>
> I'm setting up a brand new Vista machine, loading the several dozen
> Microsoft updates and such, then installing Office '07 Professional Upgrade.
>
> Vista has changed the User Password, and I can't get into the machine
> anymore. The password worked for several Restarts, then when I tried to
> install Office, I might have failed to Reboot after installing Works -- I do
> not think that's true, but it could be. In any case, the Office install
> would not take Works -- it is insisting on an Office product -- even though
> it says on the box that Works is okay. I rebooted after cancelling the
> Install, and the User Account password to open Vista no longer works.
>
> Office is an Upgrade Version that clearly states on the packaging that it
> accepts Works, v.6 through v.10 as the qualifying base -- I installed Works
> v.9. Last time I checked, 9 is between 6 and 10, therefore should count as a
> qualifying base.
>
> It appears that I'll have to wipe the machine clean and do a full reinstall
> of Vista to get around the password blockade that has been erected, and I'm
> not sure how to force Works to be a qualifying base for Office Professional.
>
> Any ideas before I light the fuse?

Light the fuse! Seriously, why not save all the angst & just revert to
Win XP, Jeff? I have XP, Vista & Win 7. Win 7 looks tidy, acts tidy
enough but lacks a load of soft/hardware drivers up till now.

JD

sandy58 wrote:
> On Sep 27, 1:16 am, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What a pile of crap!
>>
>> I'm setting up a brand new Vista machine, loading the several dozen
>> Microsoft updates and such, then installing Office '07 Professional Upgrade.
>>
>> Vista has changed the User Password, and I can't get into the machine
>> anymore. The password worked for several Restarts, then when I tried to
>> install Office, I might have failed to Reboot after installing Works -- I do
>> not think that's true, but it could be. In any case, the Office install
>> would not take Works -- it is insisting on an Office product -- even though
>> it says on the box that Works is okay. I rebooted after cancelling the
>> Install, and the User Account password to open Vista no longer works.
>>
>> Office is an Upgrade Version that clearly states on the packaging that it
>> accepts Works, v.6 through v.10 as the qualifying base -- I installed Works
>> v.9. Last time I checked, 9 is between 6 and 10, therefore should count as a
>> qualifying base.
>>
>> It appears that I'll have to wipe the machine clean and do a full reinstall
>> of Vista to get around the password blockade that has been erected, and I'm
>> not sure how to force Works to be a qualifying base for Office Professional.
>>
>> Any ideas before I light the fuse?

> Light the fuse! Seriously, why not save all the angst & just revert to
> Win XP, Jeff? I have XP, Vista & Win 7. Win 7 looks tidy, acts tidy
> enough but lacks a load of soft/hardware drivers up till now.

Hi guys

I cant comment to much on vista as I wont use it, that and the fact I
use openoffice.org so I have not seen this error with ms office.
however do you have another administrator account on the machine? did
you make yourself an administrator at set-up time i.e. "sandy" group
administrators, if so there may be an actual "administrator" account
which you could use to remove/change the password on the account name
that's giving you problems.

as for going back to XP I wouldn't I've been using win7 RC1 for a while
now and I must say it's very good, first windows since win2k that I've
actually liked since first use, I hated XP and refused to use it, until
they obsoleted Win2K then I had no choice, XP did grow on me and its a
very good OS.

I was out this weekend and I was talking to some guys in the pub he said
he was having all sorts of problems since he went to win7 x64, things
not working drivers etc. I had to explain to him that you have to use
comapatability mode with some programs and I can honestly say there's
very little that don't work this way. and if that does fail there's
always XP virtual machine (built in if you get the Pro/Ultimate or Corp
versions)

good luck
JD

TeeJay1952

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> What a pile of crap!
>
> I'm setting up a brand new Vista machine, loading the several dozen
> Microsoft updates and such, then installing Office '07 Professional Upgrade.
>
> Vista has changed the User Password, and I can't get into the machine
> anymore. The password worked for several Restarts, then when I tried to
> install Office, I might have failed to Reboot after installing Works -- I do
> not think that's true, but it could be. In any case, the Office install
> would not take Works -- it is insisting on an Office product -- even though
> it says on the box that Works is okay. I rebooted after cancelling the
> Install, and the User Account password to open Vista no longer works.
>
> Office is an Upgrade Version that clearly states on the packaging that it
> accepts Works, v.6 through v.10 as the qualifying base -- I installed Works
> v.9. Last time I checked, 9 is between 6 and 10, therefore should count as a
> qualifying base.
>
> It appears that I'll have to wipe the machine clean and do a full reinstall
> of Vista to get around the password blockade that has been erected, and I'm
> not sure how to force Works to be a qualifying base for Office Professional.
>
> Any ideas before I light the fuse?

http://www.password-changer.com/
this web page allows you to remove passwords. I Google Vista Password
remove and got quite a few hits.
Tee Jay

- Bobb -

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4abf4389$0$2493$(E-Mail Removed)...
> sandy58 wrote:
> I was out this weekend and I was talking to some guys in the pub he said
> he was having all sorts of problems since he went to win7 x64, things not
> working drivers etc. I had to explain to him that you have to use
> comapatability mode with some programs and I can honestly say there's very
> little that don't work this way. and if that does fail there's always XP
> virtual machine (built in if you get the Pro/Ultimate or Corp versions)
>
> good luck
> JD

OT:
I've found with each of 64 bit windows versions that they are PRIMARILY
designed for OEM systems. ... sold to engineers, for instance, WITH their 64
bit apps installed already. For instance, you might buy an HP box with this
installed:
http://www.ptc.com/products/proengineer/
User takes delivery and goes to work. THOSE users aren't upgrading old
hardware. So for all of the 'end-users' that don't like it, Microsoft (via
the OEMS) doesn't really care - their goal is to sell a new 64bit solution
to a business - who will pay dearly for it. Their intent is for buyer of app
to install it on new(er) hardware from scratch.

JD

TeeJay1952 wrote:
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> What a pile of crap!
>>
>> I'm setting up a brand new Vista machine, loading the several dozen
>> Microsoft updates and such, then installing Office '07 Professional
>> Upgrade.
>>
>> Vista has changed the User Password, and I can't get into the machine
>> anymore. The password worked for several Restarts, then when I tried
>> to install Office, I might have failed to Reboot after installing
>> Works -- I do not think that's true, but it could be. In any case, the
>> Office install would not take Works -- it is insisting on an Office
>> product -- even though it says on the box that Works is okay. I
>> rebooted after cancelling the Install, and the User Account password
>> to open Vista no longer works.
>>
>> Office is an Upgrade Version that clearly states on the packaging that
>> it accepts Works, v.6 through v.10 as the qualifying base -- I
>> installed Works v.9. Last time I checked, 9 is between 6 and 10,
>> therefore should count as a qualifying base.
>>
>> It appears that I'll have to wipe the machine clean and do a full
>> reinstall of Vista to get around the password blockade that has been
>> erected, and I'm not sure how to force Works to be a qualifying base
>> for Office Professional.
>>
>> Any ideas before I light the fuse?
>>

> http://www.password-changer.com/
> this web page allows you to remove passwords. I Google Vista Password
> remove and got quite a few hits.
> Tee Jay

Looks not bad, however if you want something free that will do the same
thing use "Offline NT Password & reg edit"
(http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html) its basically a
live linux cd that you can use to delete or change the password
registries on windows, NT4/Win2K/XP/VISTA.

JD