Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > router needs unplugging constantly

router needs unplugging constantly

lionheart

hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access with
two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
there any solution to this?

GTS

It's not unusual to have to reboot consumer grade routers once in a while.
If it is happening frequently (and affecting multiple computers) it's most
likely indicates the router is failing and needs to be replaced.
--

"lionheart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access with
> two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
> frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
> working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
> there any solution to this?

John Wunderlich

lionheart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:823b9d0f-6b28-

> hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access
> with two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
> frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
> working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
> there any solution to this?

Perhaps, depending on what the problem is.

Have you checked the Linksys website for an updated firmware download
for the router? If other people have been experiencing this problem
and the router is at fault, Linksys may have fixed it in a firmware
update.

The problem may also be in your modem. When you lose your access,
can you still contact the configuration page of the router? Can you
connect using one of the wired ports? If so, check the status page
of your router configuration and see if it lost its IP lease to your
modem/ISP and failed to reestablish.

HTH,
John

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Many sub $100 Routers would behave in this way if any Networked computers is
Busy with Heavy downloads (like the Torrent type).
Check with your partners and make sure that they are loading and
destabilizing the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"lionheart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access with
> two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
> frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
> working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
> there any solution to this?

smlunatick

On Sep 26, 8:36*am, lionheart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access with
> two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
> frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
> working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
> there any solution to this?

Always update the "wireless" adapter drivers on the laptops

Make sure that any enhanced firewall software is told to trust the
wireless network name (aka SSID.) Norton is "known" to
"deauthenticate" the wireless network if the wireless network is not
"listed" as a trusted network.

JimH

lionheart wrote:
> hi, i have a linksys wireless G router and share internet access with
> two other people. We all have laptops. The problem is that we
> frequently get messages that the wireless network connection isn't
> working and have to unplug the router and then plug it back in. Is
> there any solution to this?

I had similar problems. I discovered that when laptops come and go from
the network (like a reboot, or physical movement), they would request an
IP address from the router. If another laptop had been in standby, the
new one on the network would acquire the IP address of the sleeping one.
When the sleeping one wakes, they both have the same IP address, and the
conflict causes network failures. I've even seen it with a blackberry.

I went into the settings on the router, and assigned permanent IP
addresses for every device that normally connects. That way, they never
have a conflict. I then set the starting address for connections above
all of the permanent ones, so that if I have a guest who connects, they
won't get an address that conflicts.

I haven't had to reboot my router in months.

Hope this helps.
--
Jim