Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > PSTN to VOIP

PSTN to VOIP

R Johnson

A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?

I think I've answered my own question, but it's worth asking.

Chris Davies

R Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
> Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
> to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?

It depends entirely on what you expect from this "solution". I use
Sipgate, which provides PSTN to VoIP (and v.v.). I also use SMSListo
(betamax), which provides VoIP to PSTN. Depending on your definition of
VoIP you might want to consider Skype. There's also pbxes.org/com to
take a look at, if you need somewhat more complex routing.

Chris

Graham.

"R Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4abd1fb9$0$2479$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
> Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
> to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?
>
> I think I've answered my own question, but it's worth asking.

If it's just for one PSTN line I think some of the AVI Fritz!boxen
have both FXO and FXS ports.
No personal experience though

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

"Chris Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>R Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
>> Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
>> to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?

> It depends entirely on what you expect from this "solution". I use
> Sipgate, which provides PSTN to VoIP (and v.v.). I also use SMSListo
> (betamax), which provides VoIP to PSTN. Depending on your definition of
> VoIP you might want to consider Skype. There's also pbxes.org/com to
> take a look at, if you need somewhat more complex routing.
>
> Chris

The way I read the OP, he has a physical POTS line that he wants to
integrate into an IP setup.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

On 25/09/09 21:36, Graham. wrote:
> "R Johnson"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4abd1fb9$0$2479$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
>> Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
>> to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?
>>
>> I think I've answered my own question, but it's worth asking.

> If it's just for one PSTN line I think some of the AVI Fritz!boxen
> have both FXO and FXS ports.
> No personal experience though

My Fritz 7170 will divert PSTN to VoIP and vice versa. Never needed to
use it though so no idea how well it works.

Ivor

Gordon Henderson

In article <4abd1fb9$0$2479$(E-Mail Removed)>,
R Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
>Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
>to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?

You may be able to port the number into a VoIP platform, or failling
that, there are many ITSPs who can register new telephonoe numbers and
present them via VoIP.

The down-side of porting is that all services associated with that line
cease - e.g. ADSL.

There are also "appliances" which do run Linux and Asterisk which I'd not
call "another bleeding server", but do what you might need - i.e. take BT
lines in and present VoIP out. The ones I make are diskless and fanless
for the smaller end of the market. (Up to 60 extensions)

Gordon

R Johnson

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:49:28 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> In article <4abd1fb9$0$2479$(E-Mail Removed)>, R Johnson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
>>Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
>>to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?

> You may be able to port the number into a VoIP platform, or failling
> that, there are many ITSPs who can register new telephonoe numbers and
> present them via VoIP.
>
> The down-side of porting is that all services associated with that line
> cease - e.g. ADSL.
>
> There are also "appliances" which do run Linux and Asterisk which I'd
> not call "another bleeding server", but do what you might need - i.e.
> take BT lines in and present VoIP out. The ones I make are diskless and
> fanless for the smaller end of the market. (Up to 60 extensions)
>
> Gordon

I think I'm going to go down the road of Asterisk and put a FXO(?) card
in one of the dual core mail servers I have that is doing very little.
I'm guessing with a prod and a play I can get this to handle my SIP
accounts and POTS and let me just have *one* phone on the desk. LOL

Gordon Henderson

In article <4abdc501$0$2528$(E-Mail Removed)>,
R Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:49:28 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> In article <4abd1fb9$0$2479$(E-Mail Removed)>, R Johnson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>A long shot, but other than going for a fully blown solution like
>>>Asterisk with cards in *another* bleedin' server, is there a simple PSTN
>>>to IP solution (other than diverting at my cost)?

>> You may be able to port the number into a VoIP platform, or failling
>> that, there are many ITSPs who can register new telephonoe numbers and
>> present them via VoIP.
>>
>> The down-side of porting is that all services associated with that line
>> cease - e.g. ADSL.
>>
>> There are also "appliances" which do run Linux and Asterisk which I'd
>> not call "another bleeding server", but do what you might need - i.e.
>> take BT lines in and present VoIP out. The ones I make are diskless and
>> fanless for the smaller end of the market. (Up to 60 extensions)
>>
>> Gordon

>I think I'm going to go down the road of Asterisk and put a FXO(?) card
>in one of the dual core mail servers I have that is doing very little.
>I'm guessing with a prod and a play I can get this to handle my SIP
>accounts and POTS and let me just have *one* phone on the desk. LOL

No real reason why it won't work and although I know Linux is more than
capable of doing many things on one server these days, I've sort of gone
back to not having all my eggs in the same basket!

Asterisk itself has very little overhead on a system.

Digium analogue card:

http://www.voipon.co.uk/digium-tdm40...ard-p-759.html

Or an alternative make at less than half the price:

http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400...fxo-p-669.html

Look for something called OSLEC to use for echo cancellation.

One phone on your desk is a reality - apart from your mobile that is

Gordon

R Johnson

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:43:00 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> In article <4abdc501$0$2528$(E-Mail Removed)>, R Johnson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:49:28 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> You may be able to port the number into a VoIP platform, or failling
>>> that, there are many ITSPs who can register new telephonoe numbers and
>>> present them via VoIP.
>>>
>>> The down-side of porting is that all services associated with that
>>> line cease - e.g. ADSL.
>>>
>>> There are also "appliances" which do run Linux and Asterisk which I'd
>>> not call "another bleeding server", but do what you might need - i.e.
>>> take BT lines in and present VoIP out. The ones I make are diskless
>>> and fanless for the smaller end of the market. (Up to 60 extensions)
>>>
>>> Gordon

>>I think I'm going to go down the road of Asterisk and put a FXO(?) card
>>in one of the dual core mail servers I have that is doing very little.
>>I'm guessing with a prod and a play I can get this to handle my SIP
>>accounts and POTS and let me just have *one* phone on the desk. LOL

> No real reason why it won't work and although I know Linux is more than
> capable of doing many things on one server these days, I've sort of gone
> back to not having all my eggs in the same basket!
>
> Asterisk itself has very little overhead on a system.
>
> Digium analogue card:
>
> http://www.voipon.co.uk/digium-tdm40...ard-p-759.html
>
> Or an alternative make at less than half the price:
>
> http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400...fxo-p-669.html
>
> Look for something called OSLEC to use for echo cancellation.
>
> One phone on your desk is a reality - apart from your mobile that is
>
> Gordon

This looks like 'in budget' - any words on it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Authentic-X100...Asterisk-VoIP-
PBX_W0QQitemZ260480831125QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Com puting_Networking_SM?
hash=item3ca5de0e95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Gordon Henderson

In article <4abe39a8$0$2484$(E-Mail Removed)>,
R Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:43:00 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> In article <4abdc501$0$2528$(E-Mail Removed)>, R Johnson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I think I'm going to go down the road of Asterisk and put a FXO(?) card
>>>in one of the dual core mail servers I have that is doing very little.
>>>I'm guessing with a prod and a play I can get this to handle my SIP
>>>accounts and POTS and let me just have *one* phone on the desk. LOL

>> No real reason why it won't work and although I know Linux is more than
>> capable of doing many things on one server these days, I've sort of gone
>> back to not having all my eggs in the same basket!
>>
>> Asterisk itself has very little overhead on a system.
>>
>> Digium analogue card:
>>
>> http://www.voipon.co.uk/digium-tdm40...ard-p-759.html
>>
>> Or an alternative make at less than half the price:
>>
>> http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400...fxo-p-669.html
>>
>> Look for something called OSLEC to use for echo cancellation.
>>
>> One phone on your desk is a reality - apart from your mobile that is
>>
>> Gordon

>This looks like 'in budget' - any words on it?
>
>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Authentic-X100...Asterisk-VoIP-
>PBX_W0QQitemZ260480831125QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_Networking_SM?
>hash=item3ca5de0e95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The x100p cards are indeed budget and I've heard that when used with
OSLEC can be quite effective, but I've no first-hand expeirence of them.
There are in all probability people using these with asterisk in their
thousands though, so I imagine they're OK.

Gordon