Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > PSTN to VOIP

PSTN to VOIP

Ivor Jones

On 03/10/09 22:35, Bodincus wrote:
> Dave:
>>

>> "R Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4ac04285$0$2493$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> reviews_id=10

>>> I have found the firmware on the Draytek 2600v to be flaky as far as
>>> VoIP
>>> is concerned (and in other places). It's at the point where it works,
>>> but
>>> I don't trust it. Specifically, despite entering the details for SIP
>>> accounts over and over, they refused to register. I checked and checked
>>> settings, in the end I rebooted the router and they registered. I'm sure
>>> the thing has a will of it's own. Randomly I'll get an email to tell
>>> me I
>>> have voicemail, which is pretty good considering the phone has never
>>> even
>>> rung. Never had this kind of agro with my PAP2, but alas I sold that
>>> like
>>> a fool

>> My problem is that I have a Asterisk box and can't use the built-in
>> ATA's as they 'take over' port 5060 inbound so nothing can login from
>> outside, set the port to '0' and everything is ok apart from the ATA's
>> obviously don't work !. Ivor can you use the ATA's on the Fritz if you
>> have a Asterisk box that is ?
>> Dave.

> You can change the SIP port the Fritz works with.
>
> Settings - Telephony - Internet telephony - Advanced Settings.
>
> Tick "Configuring an alternative "source port" for Internet telephony",
> set it to 5062 and you're OK.
>
> The RTP ports (the audio stream) on Fritzes are from 7078 to 7110 UDP,
> set your * box to use other UDP ports for RTP and Bob's your uncle.
>
> A standard * install uses UDP 10000 to 20000 for RTP
> (/etc/asterisk/rtp.conf) so you should be OK with that.
>
> If the Fritz is your router you don't have anything else to do, if you
> have a separate router remember to forward port 5060 and 10000-20000 UDP
> to your * box, and 5062 and 7078-7110 UDP to your Fritz.
>
> Please report success / failure.

Hmm, what model Fritz are you using..? My 7170 (Annex A, latest firmware
58.04.76) doesn't have that option in the menu (and yes I do have
"Expert Mode" set to on).

The options I have in "Settings - Telephony - Internet telephony -
Advanced Settings" are (in order):

*Use fixed-line substitute connection

*Location information

*Perform ENUM requests

*Use Voice Activation Detection (VAD)

*Select how to use bandwidth of DSL connection for telephone calls

*Indicate type of service

*Use additional connection for Internet telephony via DSL (PVC)

*Fax transmission also with T.38

Ivor

R Johnson

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 23:35:12 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> In article <4ac7a230$0$2528$(E-Mail Removed)>, R Johnson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:54:13 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> Never seen that issue with the 2600v's I've used - have seen other
>>> issues - NAT in particular though. Do you have the latest firmware in
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Gordon

>>The thing is just generally slow, the web interface looks like something
>>a small child did with some crayons - and it's all a bit flaky.
>>
>>I suspect the firmware is 'old' but updating it is a bit of nightmare.
>>
>>Model Name : Vigor2800 series
>>Firmware Version : 2.8.2
>>Build Date/Time : Tue Jun 3 15:26:55.35 2008 ADSL

Firmware Version :
>>E.38.2.23 Annex A

> Ah, you said a 2600v yet the model name is 2800 series...
>
> I've never found their web interface to be slow at all - yes, I'm sure
> it could look better, but I don't care about that - it's functional...
>
> Almost sounds like there is actually a fault in it...
>
> Gordon

My apologies 2800 it is. (blush). It's the third one, each being
painfully slow on the web interface and flaky in firmware. Honestly a
nightmare of a device. Also found to be very slow on DSL sync compared to
a throwaway linksys.

I persist with it as it's an 'all in one' that does routed, nat and VOIP.
It does none of these things well, but good enough for now. I would not
have another one - I'd spend more and go with something from Cisco next
time. I kinda think you get what you pay for. The Draytek is kinda cheap
and nasty to me, but I did not want to spend megabuck for a SOHO solution.

Have to say it's great you have had a better time with them. If I had to
describe mine as a woman it would be 'I think it's having an affair'.

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R Johnson chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

> I persist with it as it's an 'all in one' that does routed, nat and VOIP.
> It does none of these things well, but good enough for now. I would not
> have another one - I'd spend more and go with something from Cisco next
> time. I kinda think you get what you pay for.

By 'more', you'd be looking at the thick end of three grand for an 1861 + ADSL
card for it, quite a long way from 'getting what you pay for' IMHO.

21:52:37 up 36 days, 23:39, 8 users, load average: 0.57, 0.42, 0.49
Qua illic est accuso, illic est a vindicatum

R Johnson

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:55:48 +0100, alexd wrote:

> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R Johnson
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> I persist with it as it's an 'all in one' that does routed, nat and
>> VOIP. It does none of these things well, but good enough for now. I
>> would not have another one - I'd spend more and go with something from
>> Cisco next time. I kinda think you get what you pay for.

> By 'more', you'd be looking at the thick end of three grand for an 1861
> + ADSL card for it, quite a long way from 'getting what you pay for'
> IMHO.

Sure, I agree it's a bucked load of money. I just get a bit tired of the
generalisation some people make that 'Draytek are wonderful', when they
are a bit pants to be honest. No offence to anyone intended.

Bodincus

Ivor Jones:
> On 03/10/09 22:35, Bodincus wrote:
>> Dave:
>>>

>>> "R Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4ac04285$0$2493$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> My problem is that I have a Asterisk box and can't use the built-in
>>> ATA's as they 'take over' port 5060 inbound so nothing can login from
>>> outside, set the port to '0' and everything is ok apart from the ATA's
>>> obviously don't work !. Ivor can you use the ATA's on the Fritz if you
>>> have a Asterisk box that is ?
>>> Dave.

>> You can change the SIP port the Fritz works with.
>>
>> Settings - Telephony - Internet telephony - Advanced Settings.
>>
>> Tick "Configuring an alternative "source port" for Internet telephony",
>> set it to 5062 and you're OK.
>>
>> The RTP ports (the audio stream) on Fritzes are from 7078 to 7110 UDP,
>> set your * box to use other UDP ports for RTP and Bob's your uncle.
>>
>> A standard * install uses UDP 10000 to 20000 for RTP
>> (/etc/asterisk/rtp.conf) so you should be OK with that.
>>
>> If the Fritz is your router you don't have anything else to do, if you
>> have a separate router remember to forward port 5060 and 10000-20000 UDP
>> to your * box, and 5062 and 7078-7110 UDP to your Fritz.
>>
>> Please report success / failure.
>>

> Hmm, what model Fritz are you using..? My 7170 (Annex A, latest firmware
> 58.04.76) doesn't have that option in the menu (and yes I do have
> "Expert Mode" set to on).
>
> The options I have in "Settings - Telephony - Internet telephony -
> Advanced Settings" are (in order):
>
> *Use fixed-line substitute connection
>
> *Location information
>
> *Perform ENUM requests
>
> *Use Voice Activation Detection (VAD)
>
> *Select how to use bandwidth of DSL connection for telephone calls
>
> *Indicate type of service
>
> *Use additional connection for Internet telephony via DSL (PVC)
>
> *Fax transmission also with T.38
>

> Ivor

One of the first incarnations of the family...
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN Annex A, Firmware version 08.04.49

* Configuring an alternative "source port" for Internet telephony

is between

* Use Voice Activation Detection (VAD)

and

* Select how to use bandwidth of DSL connection for telephone calls

Maybe it's only available when the Fritz is set to be a network client
and not the network router.

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------

Ivor Jones

On 05/10/09 09:24, R Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:55:48 +0100, alexd wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R Johnson
>> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>>
>>> I persist with it as it's an 'all in one' that does routed, nat and
>>> VOIP. It does none of these things well, but good enough for now. I
>>> would not have another one - I'd spend more and go with something from
>>> Cisco next time. I kinda think you get what you pay for.

>> By 'more', you'd be looking at the thick end of three grand for an 1861
>> + ADSL card for it, quite a long way from 'getting what you pay for'
>> IMHO.

> Sure, I agree it's a bucked load of money. I just get a bit tired of the
> generalisation some people make that 'Draytek are wonderful', when they
> are a bit pants to be honest. No offence to anyone intended.

Cisco kit isn't without its problems either. I have several Wireless
Access Points at work fed by Power Over Ethernet (PoE) which regularly
fall over and don't sync with the mobile units when they come into range.

Ivor

R Johnson

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:41:46 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

> On 05/10/09 09:24, R Johnson wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:55:48 +0100, alexd wrote:
>>
>>> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R
>>> Johnson chose the tried and tested strategy of:

>>> By 'more', you'd be looking at the thick end of three grand for an
>>> 1861 + ADSL card for it, quite a long way from 'getting what you pay
>>> for' IMHO.

>> Sure, I agree it's a bucked load of money. I just get a bit tired of
>> the generalisation some people make that 'Draytek are wonderful', when
>> they are a bit pants to be honest. No offence to anyone intended.

> Cisco kit isn't without its problems either. I have several Wireless
> Access Points at work fed by Power Over Ethernet (PoE) which regularly
> fall over and don't sync with the mobile units when they come into
> range.
>
> Ivor

I fully understand that. Perhaps I'll put something together with a modem
and a Mini-ITX box running a Linux Server when the time comes. It will
probably be pretty much like a Draytek - because to me, it has the look,
feel and operation of something someone has 'made in their bedroom'.

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R Johnson chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

> Perhaps I'll put something together with a modem
> and a Mini-ITX box running a Linux Server when the time comes. It will
> probably be pretty much like a Draytek - because to me, it has the look,
> feel and operation of something someone has 'made in their bedroom'.

Have you actually seen a web interface for any of the *wrt's? Looks far better
than any of the Draytek's I've used. As well as the usual router functions
[DHCP, NAT, ACLs] there's even a module for Asterisk for OpenWRT if you're
scared of using a text editor.

18:40:15 up 38 days, 20:26, 7 users, load average: 0.42, 0.23, 0.25

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:52:53 +0100, alexd wrote:

> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R Johnson
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> Perhaps I'll put something together with a modem and a Mini-ITX box
>> running a Linux Server when the time comes. It will probably be pretty
>> much like a Draytek - because to me, it has the look, feel and
>> operation of something someone has 'made in their bedroom'.

> Have you actually seen a web interface for any of the *wrt's? Looks far
> better than any of the Draytek's I've used. As well as the usual router
> functions [DHCP, NAT, ACLs] there's even a module for Asterisk for
> OpenWRT if you're scared of using a text editor.

It's not just the look. It's the flakiness of the Draytek. I can only
liken it to a bit of a touchy woman

I don't have an issue with *no* gui and Open WRT is something I was going
to look at with a Mini ITX. I don't want to doctor an old Linksys Router,
I'll build something with a bit more grunt - but that's on the back
burner for now.

Graham.

"R Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4acb92a0$0$2525$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:52:53 +0100, alexd wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R Johnson
>> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>>
>>> Perhaps I'll put something together with a modem and a Mini-ITX box
>>> running a Linux Server when the time comes. It will probably be pretty
>>> much like a Draytek - because to me, it has the look, feel and
>>> operation of something someone has 'made in their bedroom'.

>> Have you actually seen a web interface for any of the *wrt's? Looks far
>> better than any of the Draytek's I've used. As well as the usual router
>> functions [DHCP, NAT, ACLs] there's even a module for Asterisk for
>> OpenWRT if you're scared of using a text editor.

> It's not just the look. It's the flakiness of the Draytek. I can only
> liken it to a bit of a touchy woman
>
> I don't have an issue with *no* gui and Open WRT is something I was going
> to look at with a Mini ITX. I don't want to doctor an old Linksys Router,
> I'll build something with a bit more grunt - but that's on the back
> burner for now.

To quote an old IT expression GUIs are for WIMPs

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%